Hawaii Weather in October

houndhome

We will be on Pride of America the beginning of October and I am trying to figure out what to pack (shorts, capris, etc). I have read the weather can fluctuate from the different parts of the islands. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

May and October are the two nicest months, weather-wise. It won't be cool unless you are planning to go into the higher altitudes, like Mauna Kea.

Add - Haleakala on Maui especially at sunrise; top of the Waimea Canyon on Kauai and the Nuuanu Pali lookout on Oahu all high windy points.

Prevailing trade winds off the ocean can be cooling.

Island temperatures starting in the low 70's topping the mid to high 80's.

Actual rain not much - pineapple rain always a possibility - very low humidity - dry at this time of the year.

Water temperature in the 70's pretty much year round.

October the Peak of the off season - ALOHA enjoy your visit !

Shorts and t-shirts for shore (unless you are doing the sunrise ride down the volcano - which is very cool (literally)).

Always tropical weather. Hot. Humid. Short rain shower every day (to help keep the humidity up).

Still in hurricane season, so there is always a chance of stormy weather (there is a hurricane heading toward Hawaii right now,,,, but is projected to be a depression by next week's POA voyage - hopefully will be totally blown out).

We will be on Pride of America the beginning of October and I am trying to figure out what to pack (shorts, capris, etc). I have read the weather can fluctuate from the different parts of the islands. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Shorts, capris and shirts will be fine. Just bring something for rain just in case.

I live on Maui. Many times in the fall, our trade winds die. This will make it feel more humid. Other than that, there's not much of a difference. Highs in winter are in the low-mid 80's, in the summer highs are in the high 80's to low 90's. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All comments about packing and the weather in Hawaii in October are true and very useful. Doing some pre-cruise research on the web can provide much information, of course, as well as reading these reviews. At sea level, the weather is somewhat tropical with a slight chance of rain on any given day. Pack light for maximum lows in the 70's (unless going above to 10,000 feet) and maximum highs 85. Light rain jacket recommended. Storm systems can roll in, so check out NOAA's weather reports to get an idea of weather patterns just before leaving home. We did POA a couple of years ago, acting as tour guides for good friends from Connecticut on their first cruise. The post-cruise joke was that I had everyone carrying umbrellas while on-shore because it was going to rain "that" day! The most we came against was fast-passing light drizzle. Never had any need for an umbrella! Carrying one of those cheap, thin-folding plastic ponchos, is good, just in case it might rain "that" day! An umbrella may be more useful as a sun shade! Souvenir T-Shirts are on sale everywhere in Hawaii! Alohas!