Sea Pass for kids

I am wondering about this too! I did notice in the cruise planner you can purchase credit for the arcade ($25 credits for $20). Has anyone done that?

And just so I am sure, my 6 year old can run up hundreds of dollars in the arcade!! I guess I had better keep an eye on him!! LOL!

I am wondering about this too! I did notice in the cruise planner you can purchase credit for the arcade ($25 credits for $20). Has anyone done that?

And just so I am sure, my 6 year old can run up hundreds of dollars in the arcade!! I guess I had better keep an eye on him!! LOL!

I bought the arcade package too, now I am wondering if I will get double billed,.,,,

How old is the daughter? There really isn't much they can buy on the ship. If you give them a soda package, they are set. The only danger is the arcade, and I never let my kids use it. They have xbox at home. When they were older, and wanted a drink or something, they just got it.

I just completed our on-line check in doc's for three different reservations, which include GD's (5 & 3) in their own cabin with own reservation number.

When you do your on-line check-in you can check the box so they don't have charging privileges to your credit card. If they are on a separate reservation you can check the "none" box rather than "credit card" or "cash" when setting up their account.

I assume you could then put cash on their account once on board or buy the arcade credits. As pointed out there isn't much for them to buy other than the arcade credits.

I of course can't confirm that this is for all ships or at all times, but check out the sign hanging above the recharge station in the arcade aboard Adventure of the Seas:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/adventure-of-the-seas-192/video-arcade-363904/video-arcade--v16531123/

Also, someone else also pointed out to me that the arcades on some ships aren't all that great or that the many of the machines don't work. I suppose that varies. On our last cruise, the kids looked at the arcade on day 1 and honestly never made it back there on the entire cruise. I wouldn't prepay for the arcade.

I think it depends on your child's age, whether they need "spending privileges"! If they are too young to be "out and about" on their own, you can simply buy what they need/want. If they ARE old enough to roam about, then they are old enough to stick to whatever budget you allow them. Tell them they can spend $10 per day (for instance)...and expect that from them. You are trying to raise responsible adults...and this is a good way to start!

We did not have the soda package on the Anthem. They charged up Johnny Rockets, sodas, virgin frozen drinks, in the seaplex I feel like they had some games that cost money but I could be remembering wrong. Gift shop! Starbucks..ugh. Ben and Jerry's. Arcade. You name it...they found it.

We did not have the soda package on the Anthem. They charged up Johnny Rockets, sodas, virgin frozen drinks, in the seaplex I feel like they had some games that cost money but I could be remembering wrong. Gift shop! Starbucks..ugh. Ben and Jerry's. Arcade. You name it...they found it.

Lucky they didn't find the jewelry store! "Hey Mom, look at this cool watch! Do you think Rolex is a good brand?":eek:

Honestly, don't get too carried away. Here's how we handle it:

"Kids, there's no need to spend any money on the ship. Save it for shopping on the islands."

When we're all together, we'll treat to frozen drinks or play bingo or something, but really, when they are wandering around by themselves, there's no need for them to be anywhere where they would need to be spending money. My kids don't even go to the arcades.

Oh, and I'm talking about preteens and teenagers. Really, the same guidelines apply to my wife and I generally too.

I sincerely hope you don't have plans to have your 6yo have the run of the ship without adult supervision!!!

The same goes for ANY child every time this question comes up. If you don't/can't trust your child to follow the rules when it comes to charging on their SeaPass, then just get them a Room Key with no charging abilities and hold their SeaPass card yourself for when it's needed to get on/off the ship.

For my son, I gave him a $70/week allowance (plus I provide a soda package) versus a $10/day allowance. This way he could spend more one day and less another day as fit his needs. He has never even hit the $50 mark, even on a few 8-day cruises.

Sometimes he'll buy a package of arcade credits, maybe room service once in a while (I leave cash in the room for him to use for tips), he got some candy once on Oasis at the special candy store, but other than that, he really doesn't spend any money on board. There's plenty to eat for free on any ship, his drinks are covered with the soda package, and he doesn't need souvenirs from the gift shop.

I get the soda package too, and it's not at all unusual for our only charges at the end of the week to be the daily gratuity fee.