Airfare to Puerto Rico for Dawn

Gampy1967

Wife and I are flying from Houston to San Juan for a cruise on the Dawn in an OS for our 20th Anniversary. The only airline that fly's non-stop is United at ~$2700 for first class (2 tickets) and ~$2100 for Coach (comfort section) (can you tell there is no real competition). Another option is to fly on Delta with a stop each way (there is a 1hr layover in ATL on the way there; 2.5hr layover on the way back). Due to Delta Amex points I can get the two Coach (comfort section) tickets for about $1000 total. Have already spent very good money for the OS, would you suggest springing for the direct 1st class United, Coach United, or Delta coach with the layovers? I want this to be a very special anniversary trip but the airfare decision is just killing me for some reason. Thanks.

Again proving the only good thing about United is their music. The layovers don't seem too bad for Delta. We flew round-trip from NYC to San Juan for the Gem cruises last October/November for $450 each with no airline miles involved. Am sure you will enjoy the islands.

Kind of leaning toward Delta but while it has never happened to me, I have a fear of my luggage getting lost on layover flights. The extra $1000 could pay for a few excursions and souvenirs.

Again proving the only good thing about United is their music. The layovers don't seem too bad for Delta. We flew round-trip from NYC to San Juan for the Gem cruises last October/November for $450 each with no airline miles involved. Am sure you will enjoy the islands.

Luggage really is rarely lost. That would be way less of a concern than flight delays. Did not see what month of the year you are flying, but snow would surely not be an issue.

Southwest flies with a connect for under $500 roundtrip.

Did some other quick checks and coach on other airlines is in the same range.

Also, confused, if you are using AMEX miles with Delta - why is it still $1,000 for free tickets?

Grampy1967, have you looked at flights on South West Airlines? They have a few direct flights from Houston Hobby to San Juan. We used them last November for our Celebrity Summit cruise out of San Juan. Flew in on a Saturday the day of the cruise, and flew back the next Saturday after the cruise. You might have to go a day earlier or come back a day later for the direct flights. SWA doesn't have first class,though.

How much would it be to upgrade to F/C on Delta? Delta actually provides a full meal between ATL and SJU. ATL is also a very easy airport to navigate. As far as your luggage concerns, if you download the Delta app, you can actually track your luggage through it now. What date is your cruise? We are on the 7 Jan cruise on the Dawn.

Can't stand Southwest with the open seating. A direct is available on the Saturday prior to the cruise but not on the Sunday coming back. Also we live NW of Houston and so Hobby is really a pain to get to. If I got an upgraded fare (Business class) on SW so I could be guaranteed A1-15 you are looking at around 2k for two tickets. I don't have enough delta points for two tickets in first class, so that is not an option either. Other airlines with a layover or about 1800 for two tickets also so that is why I am really only looking at Delta (layover but FF miles/points to use) and United (non-stop).

Thanks for the info on the cruise critic - airfare board. Was not aware of it.

Can't stand Southwest with the open seating. A direct is available on the Saturday prior to the cruise but not on the Sunday coming back. Also we live NW of Houston and so Hobby is really a pain to get to. If I got an upgraded fare (Business class) on SW so I could be guaranteed A1-15 you are looking at around 2k for two tickets....

Not sure why people get so excited about A1-15 on Southwest. You can do EB for $15 and pretty much do just as well.

In fact, boarding early can be a negative. Why? Check this out. Those that board later can often "pick" who their seatmate will be. When my wife and I travel on SW (often) - we look for someone of "smaller"stature and sit next to them. If you are already seated, ANYBODY can wind up sitting next to you.

As to getting 1st class on Delta. I assume you have looked at options flying in the day before - sometimes the cost of that ticket is half the miles of the desired day. Also, consider going on one carrier going and another coming back. Delta awards now offer one way tickets.

And, PLEASE do not use PAY WITH MILES option- you only get 1cent each. Poor use of Amex/Delta points.

Not sure why people get so excited about A1-15 on Southwest. You can do EB for $15 and pretty much do just as well.

In fact, boarding early can be a negative. Why? Check this out. Those that board later can often "pick" who their seatmate will be. When my wife and I travel on SW (often) - we look for someone of "smaller"stature and sit next to them. If you are already seated, ANYBODY can wind up sitting next to you.

As to getting 1st class on Delta. I assume you have looked at options flying in the day before - sometimes the cost of that ticket is half the miles of the desired day. Also, consider going on one carrier going and another coming back. Delta awards now offer one way tickets.

And, PLEASE do not use PAY WITH MILES option- you only get 1cent each. Poor use of Amex/Delta points.

Sorry I was not clear. I have enough points for one free round trip ticket in Delta Comfort. Would have to pay cash for the 2nd (at a cost of approximately $975). I would never use the pay with miles options. You are correct, a huge waste at the redemption rate.

Did not notice when your trip is... but.

You can get a Delta Amex card, or Amex card now and pick up 50,000 as a signup bonus. It does have a annual fee - maybe $100 for one $450 for he Plat. You can also do similar with Chase Cards.. I think they transfer to Delta as well.

Did not notice when your trip is... but.

You can get a Delta Amex card, or Amex card now and pick up 50,000 as a signup bonus. It does have a annual fee - maybe $100 for one $450 for he Plat. You can also do similar with Chase Cards.. I think they transfer to Delta as well.

Thanks. I already have a Delta Amex. That is where the miles/points are coming from. Trip is in March and I think that is part of the problem. I am catching the beginning/end of Spring Break for the San Juan area