Air travel cancellation?

PaperSniper4

I've booked a cruise from Rome 10 months in advance (Sep 06). However, I did not book the air travel through the cruise line.

I have found a couple of reasonably priced air fares (CheapTickets, 1800). When I asked one agent about havnig to cancel (illness, WWIII, etc), he said they levied a $250 cancellation fee! I was so shocked that I neglected to ask what the charge was if I only wanted to postpone the air travel, like into the next year.

I'd love to hear all ya'll's experience on:

Cancellaton feess?

Change itinerary fees?

Travel postponement fees?

..... and anything else on the subject you think is noteworthy.

Thanks.

You have it lucky in the US. A large proportion of my air travel - short-haul and long-haul - is on "travel or bust" tickets. Non-refundable, non-changeable, non-everything except turn up and fly on the flights that are written on the ticket.

Travel insurance is therefore very important.

Change fees vary by airline, but you can expect anywhere from $75 to $150 per ticket fee. Travel insurance, if you make sure that the policy you have covers airfare, will pay for all fees when you have to change or cancel the flight. I had to miss the first few days of a 30 day cruise and I had to change my flights to Hong Kong and Travel Guard picked up the flight change fees and my hotel stay.

Thanks for the replies. I will have to check into travel insurance. I didn't realize it would pay for the non-cruise line arranged air travel.

Cruiseline travel insurance will NOT pay for ANY non cruiseline arranged items-air, shore excursions, limos, taxis, etc.

However, independent travel insurance will. Their quotes are based on the total price of your trip. Check out http://www.insuremytrip.com. There are about 15 companies which will provide quotes. Not all policies are the same. Use the "compare" feature to narrow down your choices, then read the fine print.

Cruiseline travel insurance will NOT pay for ANY non cruiseline arranged items-air, shore excursions, limos, taxis, etc.

However, independent travel insurance will. Their quotes are based on the total price of your trip. Check out www.insuremytrip.com. There are about 15 companies which will provide quotes. Not all policies are the same. Use the "compare" feature to narrow down your choices, then read the fine print.

Thanks, I was just getting ready to post that very question!

In the US, there is a little known rule (not law) that says if the airline changes your flight times in any way you can change them again or even cancel the flight. Last year we booked with Spirit Air and when family members tried to book the same flight it was outrageously priced so they booked with Southwest. When Spirit changed flight time by 5 minutes. I called and said I needed to change to a different flight. They said I could change or cancel. I canceled and booked with SW. This year we booked with Air Tran and they changed the flight time. I called Air Tran and booked a flight 6 hours earlier. All with no fees because of this rule that the airline honor. Once again this is just something they can do so I am always very thankful and sweet while I'm working with them.

All that said, if they have changed your flight time in any way, call and see if they will honor the rule. Sorry I can't remember the name. Its rule 22 or something on that order

All that said, if they have changed your flight time in any way, call and see if they will honor the rule. Sorry I can't remember the name. Its rule 22 or something on that order

It's Rule 240 ;)

What is Rule 240?

Your flight has been canceled. You are stranded at the airport. You are wondering if there is anything you can do about it. When it is the airline's fault that you are stuck at the airport you may have an option -- Rule 240.

There is a certain mystique that exists around Rule 240 and how (sometimes if) it guarantees you certain rights as a passenger. It is important to note before delving into the particulars of Rule 240, that Rule 240 was originally established in the United States. Thus Rule 240 will be discussed in regards to U.S. carriers, and not for airlines outside of the United States.

What is Rule 240?

Rule 240 deals with the obligations that an airline has to a passenger when his/her flights cancel or delay, or connecting flights are missed due to the actions of the airline. It does not include flight delays or cancellations that result from inclement weather or other factors that are outside of an airline's control.

Where did Rule 240 come from?

Rule 240 was a U.S. federal requirement prior to airline deregulation in 1978. It was one of the many stipulations that existed prior to deregulation - the U.S. government obligated airlines to abide by a set of rules regarding the transport of passengers and the rights of passengers. Rule 240 has remained in existence because after deregulation most airlines continued to respect the 'old rules'.

How has Rule 240 changed?

Because Rule 240 deals with cancellations and delays, it is probably the best known of any 'rules' pertaining to the airline industry. What makes defining Rule 240 so troublesome is that since the deregulation of the U.S. airline industry Rule 240 is not a federal requirement. Therefore, if the airline has submitted the rule in their respective contracts (also conditions) of carriage (the ticket is a contractual agreement that an airline and passenger enter regarding the transport of a passenger) then the airline has a Rule 240, but it doesn't have to.

A common misconception is that all airlines are required to have a Rule 240, but they do not. And airlines have different versions of Rule 240, making it even more difficult for passengers to know their rights in the event of a delay or cancellation that has been caused by the airline.

What is considered the airline's fault regarding delays and cancellations?

• mechanical problems
  • late arrival of an aircraft
  • pilots or other crew that are not at the aircraft on the time
  • other factors that are within an airline's control

What details might a Rule 240 include?

A Rule 240 may or may not include the following items:

• meal vouchers
  • confirmation on the airline's next flight or on another airline
  • option to not travel and obtain a refund
  • hotel accommodation
  • ground transportation
  • phone calls

Summing up Rule 240

Because Rule 240 is interpreted differently by each airline that has one, it is best to check the policy of the airline that you'll be traveling on. Arm yourself with a copy of the policy and have it with you at the airport. Some airlines may need to be reminded of their responsibilities. Others will be more fastidious and take care of their passengers, valuing their passengers' business.

When an airline is responsible for the delay or cancellation of your flight it is important to be aware of your rights as a passenger. So tote a copy of the Rule 240 for the appropriate airline (or a detailed contract of carriage for those without Rule 240 provisions) and hopefully you won't ever have to use it.

Archived