How much does it cost to rent an RV for a week?

tripman

Thinking about doing a one way cruise to Alaska next year or the year after. I am curious as to how much it would cost to rent an RV for a week or so from Anchorage (or wherever we'd end up). How much does it cost for the RV, for campsites, etc. It would just be my wife and me, no kids.

Thanks

Murray has the information. :) I rented from Great Alaskan Holiday. Rates are on their web site. In addition add an insurance waiver since their duductable is $1000. Figure out your milage and see what way works out best. At most expect 10mpg, plus propane. Campsites also vary, State Parks are very nice and reasonable. Plenty of private.

Even with just 2 people, still consider at least a 24 foot RV. Smaller doesn't have a permanant lower bed and in my opinion, it's a pain to set up every night with not the most comfortable in a convertable bed. Unless you just want the over the cab bed of course. :)

You might consider taking your cruise either a bit early in the season or later in the season. That should lower the cost of your motorhome. In Sept '04, we did a northbound cruise in late Aug-early Sept. When we picked up our motorhome after the cruise, it was into the low season rates and we saved about $100 per day on our 32' motorhome. We rented for 10 days so it was a substantial savings. We paid around $110 a night and it was over $200 for the same motorhome in mid summer.

We also went with Great Alaskan Holidays this last trip and were very satisfied with the motorhome and the company.

I agree with Budget Queen about the motorhome size. Get something that has a permanent bed. It will be so much easier than making one up every night. The motorhome won't feel as crowded either when you have a separate sleeping space.

The campgrounds we stayed at ranged from about $12-45 a night. There is a whole array of places to stay depending on what you're looking for. They weren't unreasonable in my opinion.

Lori

Even though there are only 2 of you, think about food costs when you are comparing costs. In addition to the flexibility of the RV, I like the idea of being able to buy some cereal and milk and not having to worry about breakfast. I am not the type to cook complex meals, but sandwhiches, snacks and breakfasts add up over a week.

Another thing to consider is that hotels in AK seemed to be a lot more than what I was used to.

We haven't been yet, but we are booked through Great Alaskan Holidays for June. There seem to be plenty of campgrounds to choose from. Getting a copy of the Milepost has let me see just how many there are and how spread apart they are.

Have fun planning.

It's been a few years, but we paid about $135 a night over 4th of July for a 29 foot RV. The 29 foot models have a separate bedroom in the back which is great if your traveling with a group.

We had such a great time that we went out and bought one a few weeks later! :D

Even though there are only 2 of you, think about food costs when you are comparing costs. In addition to the flexibility of the RV, I like the idea of being able to buy some cereal and milk and not having to worry about breakfast. I am not the type to cook complex meals, but sandwhiches, snacks and breakfasts add up over a week.

Another thing to consider is that hotels in AK seemed to be a lot more than what I was used to.

We haven't been yet, but we are booked through Great Alaskan Holidays for June. There seem to be plenty of campgrounds to choose from. Getting a copy of the Milepost has let me see just how many there are and how spread apart they are.

Have fun planning.

Just my opinion, the cost of the RV and potential food cost savings still did not add up to my lodging and resturant meals- was more going the RV route.

Staying in Alaska B&B's is an option that can offer great savings, plus the wonderful connection with a local. :)

I think the cost for either way is pretty even.

The advantages that we enjoyed were flexibility since many places don't require reservations, having our home away from home, not having to pack and unpack, being able to pull over and fix and eat lunch, plus we just enjoy RVing/camping.

Do make res. for Denali ASAP. They just opened the res. process Dec. 1 at http://www.nps.gov/denali.

If you are interested in river fishing, the Russian River National Forest campground in Cooper Landing (NW of Seward) is a great campground and does take reservations. That res. process just opened as well at Reserve America. You get to pick your site and the further away from the entrance you are, the closer to the rivers you are. The Russian and Kenai rivers converge here.

I think the cost for either way is pretty even.

The advantages that we enjoyed were flexibility since many places don't require reservations, having our home away from home, not having to pack and unpack, being able to pull over and fix and eat lunch, plus we just enjoy RVing/camping.

Do make res. for Denali ASAP. They just opened the res. process Dec. 1 at http://www.nps.gov/denali.

If you are interested in river fishing, the Russian River National Forest campground in Cooper Landing (NW of Seward) is a great campground and does take reservations. That res. process just opened as well at Reserve America. You get to pick your site and the further away from the entrance you are, the closer to the rivers you are. The Russian and Kenai rivers converge here.

We enjoyed it so much that we are doing it again the week before we get on our first ever cruise.

Archived