Portofino

Bocagirl1

Has anyone visited Portofino from Genoa without taking the Princess tour and if so how did you get there please?

Their are many methods but I will tell you how we did it. Specifically my wife loves to walk. We walked across from the dock to the train station and took the train to Santa Margharita. Then we walked the waterside walk from S.M to Portofino. If I remember it was about 3km. Spent time and had a nice lunch in Portofino and then took the water taxi/ ferry back to SM, had time to wander around in SM. , followed by the train back to Genoa. Delightful day, easy to do, inexpensive except for lunch and the shopping in Portofino. You can get from SM to P by walking as we did, by boat one or both ways, by bus, or by taxi. We met others on the train who as a group privately booked a small boat back and forth.

You can take the train to Santa Margherita and then walk to the port and pick up a ferry to Portofino. Check out the schedule on raileurope.com. There are even some high speed trains that only take 16 min and cost $4. The train station at the Genoa port is a short walk from the ship.

You can take the train to Santa Margherita and then walk to the port and pick up a ferry to Portofino. Check out the schedule on raileurope.com. There are even some high speed trains that only take 16 min and cost $4. The train station at the Genoa port is a short walk from the ship.

We plan to do just this next summer as we have a very long port day (14 hours). I was concerned though about getting to the train station in Genoa from the ship. When you say it is short do you remember how short, and was it in the same direction as the town or away from town in the opposite direction?

Many thanks

We plan to do just this next summer as we have a very long port day (14 hours). I was concerned though about getting to the train station in Genoa from the ship. When you say it is short do you remember how short, and was it in the same direction as the town or away from town in the opposite direction?

Many thanks

Less than a 1/2 mile. You come out of the port, cross a Main Street and then see signs directing you to the station. This one is not the only station in town but is closest to the port.