School me on luggage tags

I think luggage tags are like insurance. The first time your tag comes off your luggage and the bag gets misplaced or delayed, you will be kicking yourself wishing you'd used a luggage tag. I don't use purchased tags though. I cold laminate my tags and attach them to my suitcase with a fluorescent cable tie. Since I started doing that years ago, I've never had a problem. Prior to that, one of my bags ended up in the lost luggage room onboard. The other "insurance" I use is to always tip the guy who takes my luggage from me at the port and I point out my priority tag to him. :-)

I have used the clear plastic sleeves for several years now. I upgraded this year to ones with the steel cable type loops instead of the plastic ones. It is just so easy to use them and I don't have to have packing tape or a stapler. They are re-usable and I used the same ones for years. I have seen luggage outside in the rain but ours are completely protected inside the sleeves so ours has always been delivered promptly. For such a small cost it is definitely worth it to me just for the convenience.

I used packing tape on ours, checked bags, then flew NY to Vancouver to Fairbanks Alaska and onto the 1st hotel of 4 we had on our land tour through Princess. The tags were as good as new after all this handling when we arrived at the ship in Whittier.

Whatever process makes you happy will be the best one you should choose.....I recently read where someone takes a pic of their stove handles on their phone so that they won't worry if they left a burner on midway through their vacation. I thought that was insane, but if it works for them, why not?

Hmmmmm...never seen that. You make it sound common.

I guess if you read to the end of the thread, you will see that there were several people who have had this very thing happen to them, so perhaps it is common. I have been on 23 cruises and make a point to take note of such things so I can pass on useful information to my fellow cruisers.

Have you ever really paid attention before? Perhaps you just aren't looking in the right place.

Cheers!

We purchased these from ebay. Heavy Duty clear plastic, with metal cable to attach to your luggage. We had an issue once last year (after many cruises), where our paper luggage tags got ripped off of my wife's suitcase. She did not receive her suitcase until early the next morning (imagine the horror I was forced to endure!!!). We have been using these since. Just provides a sense of security for very little money!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Cruise-Tags-Luggage-Etag-Holders-Zip-Seal-Steel-Loops-Thick-PVC/272651126974?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Back when Carnival changed from sending luggage tags via mail (several years ago) to having cruisers print their own, we opted to buy the clear plastic tag holders from favors by serendipity dot com. I refused then, and still do now, from making it an arts & crafts project to attach luggage tags to our suitcases. No need for staples, tape, a hot glue gun, rivets or anything else. We just fold the tags and put them in the reusable sleeves. Very simple.

Also use these tags. They are great. Don't have to worry about them coming off!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We tend to cruise out of Long Beach so no flying, rarely a rainy day, and no hotel before the cruise. That in mind, we don't use luggage tags. We DO, however, staple the paper tags in more than just the one place.

OT. Just our luck, when we were in Long Beach it rained. Not only did it rain, but it was chilly and windy. And it was at the end of a cruise. :(

I used packing tape on ours, checked bags, then flew NY to Vancouver to Fairbanks Alaska and onto the 1st hotel of 4 we had on our land tour through Princess. The tags were as good as new after all this handling when we arrived at the ship in Whittier.

Whatever process makes you happy will be the best one you should choose.....I recently read where someone takes a pic of their stove handles on their phone so that they won't worry if they left a burner on midway through their vacation. I thought that was insane, but if it works for them, why not?

I have an anxiety disorder and this is something I deal with daily. If I leave my house upon my arrival my heart always starts pounding and my breathing gets harder as I approach my home because I'm worried I will have left something plugged in or on that will cause a fire. Like you said, if it works for them, why not?!

Thanks to this thread, I have just printed off my luggage labels and inserted them into my newly purchased Cruise luggage tags. How very satisfying and neat! Ordered off Amazon UK and they came with 2 free lanyards, so that's another thing sorted. 22 days and counting.........