Just off Serenade of the Seas July 9 sailing out of Stockholm-questions?

I understand. We prepaid (non refundable), room with no view (still beautiful room) and paid $225.00. Stockholm is expensive, so we didn't think that was a bad price. And the location was great.

That price is great. I'll keep checking their website. Prices I saw were in the $400 + rate.

Hi there,

Can you please tell me if you had 2 or three "fancy" dress nights? Also, were there any theme nights aboard?

We had two formal nights. Day two in Helsinki, and Day six in Riga. Day three (our first day in St. Petersburg) was casual/white attire. That was the night we overnighted in St. Petersburg. For activities that night, there was a Russian Folkloric Ensemble show at 9 pm (genuine Russian dance and music experience with a local folkloric ensemble from St. Petersburg), the orchestra played "From Russia with Love" tunes from 7:45 pm until 8:30 pm , and there was a White Russian party with DJ from 10:15 until 11:15. We didn't attend any of these events as we were in port until around midnight enjoying the ballet.

On day five, (Tallin) the dress code was casual / 70s disco with disco dance classes and disco party.

Hope this helps!

We had two formal nights. Day two in Helsinki, and Day six in Riga. Day three (our first day in St. Petersburg) was casual/white attire. That was the night we overnighted in St. Petersburg. For activities that night, there was a Russian Folkloric Ensemble show at 9 pm (genuine Russian dance and music experience with a local folkloric ensemble from St. Petersburg), the orchestra played "From Russia with Love" tunes from 7:45 pm until 8:30 pm , and there was a White Russian party with DJ from 10:15 until 11:15. We didn't attend any of these events as we were in port until around midnight enjoying the ballet.

On day five, (Tallin) the dress code was casual / 70s disco with disco dance classes and disco party.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!!!!!

How was the ship when sailing? Very rocky/rough seas? We just booked for next July 15-22. Also, what kind of temps did you have?

The Seas were very calm, one of the smoothest cruises we have ever taken. The highs each day ranged from the 60s to 70s- that is Fahrenheit. The lows were in the 50s each night.

I understand it can be quite warm, but we were never hot on this cruise. Some days were sunny, warm and perfect weather. Several days were cloudy with light rain. We were very chilly in Tallin-cloudy, windy, and rain. That was our worst weather day.

Have a great cruise!

hi pattycat

glad you had great trip

how was the stadard food on the MDR and windjammer? did they have an Indian curry menu in the MDR?

also did you eat at any of the for a fee restaurants? and if you did how did you rate them?

Thanks

hi pattycat

glad you had great trip

how was the stadard food on the MDR and windjammer? did they have an Indian curry menu in the MDR?

also did you eat at any of the for a fee restaurants? and if you did how did you rate them?

Thanks

My husband and I both thought the food in the MDR was really good. We ate several breakfasts in there (1 page menu-did not change the entire week to my knowledge) with the usual offerings, smoked salmon plate, eggs, oatmeal, eggs Benedict, fruit, etc. There is also a buffet in the MDR that is quick if you are short on time. Yogurts, hot foods like scrambled eggs, meats,etc. and there was a waffle station there the mornings we ate there serving fresh waffles. No wait for a table and you could be in and out quickly. We ate one lunch in the MDR (port intensive cruise so we ate in the MDR on the sea day only). There was the salad bar that everyone raves about. I had a delicious fish dish and crepes for dessert that was delicious. We had two dinners in the MDR-both very good with great servers. Never saw a curry menu in the MDR.

Regarding the Windjammer, we only ate one meal there. We really don't eat buffets. I will say I stopped in there one evening and the food looked great. But, I don't know how it tasted. I'm convinced that's how norovirus starts, and I have never had it yet. I would have definitely tried the Windjammer if there was someone serving the food. I had an omelette the day of disembarkation and it was good.

We ate at Chops the first night. Our filets were delicious. Service was a little slow, but we were tired from the travel day. We also ate at Giovanni's, we liked the filets better at Chops. The risotto was delicious at Giovanni's! We did not like Izumi at all. We tried them the second formal night and did not feel like dressing up. Everyone else had the same idea. The restaurant was packed, two overwhelmed servers. Rolls were falling apart, forgot our appetizer. Our server suggested the appetizer, we never received it, then he asked, which one was it that you ordered again? We were like, the one that you suggested? We also enjoyed Chefs Table for the first time. The Chef was from Mexico with a great personality who shared the preparation of each course (interesting since I cook) and the dessert was over the top! This meal was over 3 hours long (we knew that going in ), we were expecting better wines, don't think I would do chefs table again, but we are glad we tried it.

Bottom line for us- we purchased all these specialty dining options thinking the food in the MDR would not be good. We were wrong. I don't think I would spend as much on specialty dining on my next RCI cruise. Our favorite was Chops, although I think more people on CC prefer Giovanni's.

Sorry for the long reply. Hope this helps.

My husband and I both thought the food in the MDR was really good. We ate several breakfasts in there (1 page menu-did not change the entire week to my knowledge) with the usual offerings, smoked salmon plate, eggs, oatmeal, eggs Benedict, fruit, etc. There is also a buffet in the MDR that is quick if you are short on time. Yogurts, hot foods like scrambled eggs, meats,etc. and there was a waffle station there the mornings we ate there serving fresh waffles. No wait for a table and you could be in and out quickly. We ate one lunch in the MDR (port intensive cruise so we ate in the MDR on the sea day only). There was the salad bar that everyone raves about. I had a delicious fish dish and crepes for dessert that was delicious. We had two dinners in the MDR-both very good with great servers. Never saw a curry menu in the MDR.

Regarding the Windjammer, we only ate one meal there. We really don't eat buffets. I will say I stopped in there one evening and the food looked great. But, I don't know how it tasted. I'm convinced that's how norovirus starts, and I have never had it yet. I would have definitely tried the Windjammer if there was someone serving the food. I had an omelette the day of disembarkation and it was good.

We ate at Chops the first night. Our filets were delicious. Service was a little slow, but we were tired from the travel day. We also ate at Giovanni's, we liked the filets better at Chops. The risotto was delicious at Giovanni's! We did not like Izumi at all. We tried them the second formal night and did not feel like dressing up. Everyone else had the same idea. The restaurant was packed, two overwhelmed servers. Rolls were falling apart, forgot our appetizer. Our server suggested the appetizer, we never received it, then he asked, which one was it that you ordered again? We were like, the one that you suggested? We also enjoyed Chefs Table for the first time. The Chef was from Mexico with a great personality who shared the preparation of each course (interesting since I cook) and the dessert was over the top! This meal was over 3 hours long (we knew that going in ), we were expecting better wines, don't think I would do chefs table again, but we are glad we tried it.

Bottom line for us- we purchased all these specialty dining options thinking the food in the MDR would not be good. We were wrong. I don't think I would spend as much on specialty dining on my next RCI cruise. Our favorite was Chops, although I think more people on CC prefer Giovanni's.

Sorry for the long reply. Hope this helps.

thanks pattycat for taking time to give your in depth expirience and replying to my question:D

My husband and I returned home last week from our first Baltic cruise. We sailed out of Stockholm on July 9th on Serenade. We had a great time. Rubyfisch did an awesome review earlier, which I followed and thank her for. Our itinerary overnighted in St. Petersburg and included Riga (slightly different from Rubyfisch's, I think) If anyone has specific questions, I will try to answer.

No questions on Suite benefits, Concierge lounge, etc. as we are not Diamond, Diamond Plus or Pinnacle. This was our first Royal Caribbean cruise in 13 years! We enjoyed the week in an aft balcony.

We will be on the Serenade when it returns to the US, the Boston to Maine and Canada cruise. We heard they are no longer doing the ariel show in the Centrum, is this true ?

We will be on the Serenade when it returns to the US, the Boston to Maine and Canada cruise. We heard they are no longer doing the ariel show in the Centrum, is this true ?

I did not see any Ariel shows in the Centrum. I checked the cruise compasses that we brought home and I did not see any aerial shows listed. Lots of activities in the Centrum-music, game shows, dance classes, but no aerial shows.

Have a great cruise!

I did not see any Ariel shows in the Centrum. I checked the cruise compasses that we brought home and I did not see any aerial shows listed. Lots of activities in the Centrum-music, game shows, dance classes, but no aerial shows.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks, I wish they hadn't taken away the lighted staircase for something that barely lasted a season. I wish they didn't feel that the smaller ships had to have more bells and whistles like the larger ships. We love the Radiance class just the way it was.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I am new to CruiseCritic and this is my first time posting. Thank you so much for all the info you have shared, it has been so helpful. My family and I are taking the same cruise in June 2018. This will be our first time cruising with RC, super excited and nervous, lol!

I am want to use the tour company you recommend in St. Petersburg. Our travel agent (friend of a friend) just told me that I should only use the shore excursions offered by RC. She said that we would not be allowed off the ship without a visa and that the tour companies do not supply these. Obviously this contradicts all that I have read and now I am very confused. If you don't mind, and have the time, can you explain how the process went with using the Tzar Travel.