anytime dining possible with traditional dining?

Robrph

This will be our first Princess cruise and we were leary about the anytime dining option, so we opted for traditional dining. Can we still visit the other dining venues during the week if we wish? Obviously, our cards will be marked with "traditional"- how will this afffect how we make reservations? Thanks.

It wouldn't be a good idea if Princess allowed Traditional diners to use the Anytime Dining Rooms at whim. Those in Anytime Dining often have to wait to be seated. Having traditional seating passengers go to Anytuime Dining would make that worse, and would not be appropriate, since they already have a guaranteed seating time.

Rob first of all welcome to Princess. If you go to the top of this page under one of the "Stickey" you will see something like Princess FAQ answers from members to members or something like that. All sorts of info is there. Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Another question re this Traditional / Anytime dining. (And I have read all the FQAs above, actually cut & pasted many into my Word Tips document, but did not see this addressed.) I will be traveling solo. My TA & I decided on Traditional Dining with request for large table, so I would not end up dining alone or with just a honeymoon couple who would not welcome a Solo Senior companion. However, what if and giving it 2 or 3 evening tries, I find that my Traditional table is just not working out? My TA told me that I could change to Anytime dining. Isn't her info correct? Who would I see to make that change?

Another question re this Traditional / Anytime dining. (And I have read all the FQAs above, actually cut & pasted many into my Word Tips document, but did not see this addressed.) I will be traveling solo. My TA & I decided on Traditional Dining with request for large table, so I would not end up dining alone or with just a honeymoon couple who would not welcome a Solo Senior companion. However, what if and giving it 2 or 3 evening tries, I find that my Traditional table is just not working out? My TA told me that I could change to Anytime dining. Isn't her info correct? Who would I see to make that change?

Yes you can go from traditional to anytime but cannot go back again. You just see the mait're to have it changed.

Marilyn

On the Sapphire in Sept we had Traditional dining but were able to go to any of the anytime dining rooms after 8pm, no reservations.

If you don't want to go to traditional then you should let the Maitre d know so they can give it to someone that wants it and has been on the waiting list. It is rude to actually having seats being saved in one diningroom for you, while going to the anytime. It is also proper to let tablemates know if you are not going to turn up(if you are eating in buffet, alternate dining, or in room) so they don't wait for you to order. The waiters try to wait until everyone is seated at the table to send in the order.

If you don't want to go to traditional then you should let the Maitre d know so they can give it to someone that wants it and has been on the waiting list. It is rude to actually having seats being saved in one diningroom for you, while going to the anytime. It is also proper to let tablemates know if you are not going to turn up(if you are eating in buffet, alternate dining, or in room) so they don't wait for you to order. The waiters try to wait until everyone is seated at the table to send in the order.

You're assuming that we didn't let our tablemates (my family) know, which we did. And we only went to another dining room twice out of 7 nights. I believe the OP meant to try another dining room like we did, not give up traditional altogether. Don't be so quick to judge.

I just switched to traditional because of all the crazy posts about Sapphire anytime dining pretty much being fixed, except you have to call ahead of time. My question is...can you order the 4 specialty items that are offered in the 4 PC dining rooms from the traditional menu?

If your table assignment in Traditional does not work out, you should see maitre de after first night or two. You can usually be accommodated with a different table assignment without having to give up Traditional Dining.

When I booked my cruise online (Grand Princess), I was not really offered a choice on Traditional or Anytime...rather, the only option I got was Personal Choice..what am I supposed to do now? Am I supposed to go on the Princess website and choose the type of dining I want or what does this actually mean? Thanks! This is my first time cruising with Princess.

mochasmommie, you should call Princess directly and ask what dining is currently available. It may be that both traditional seatings are already full, but you can ask to be put on the waitlist. Some spots should open up around the end of this month or first of January when the final payments are due.

wow- you guys are rough! As the OP, I wasn't thinking about switching completely, just trying the other venues for one or two nights. I certainly wouldn't just abandon the rest of my table for no good reason! Thanks for all your replies- well, most of them, anyway :D

Rob

Mochasmommie: Call your travel agent and let your TA call Princess (unless you booked directly with Princess). This is something your TA should have asked you when you booked your cruise.

When we sailed on the Golden Princess in 2001, we had traditional dining but were able to eat in one of the PC dining rooms one night. We let our waiters know the night before that we wouldn't be there. We did not have tablemates on that cruise.

When we were on the Star Princess in July 2003, our tablemates let us know the first night that they were going to be trying the alternative restaurants and other dining rooms on some nights, and that if they weren't there, not to wait to place our orders.

I think on some ships the maitre d's in charge of the PC dining rooms have started enforcing the rules more strictly--not allowing traditional diners to try out the PC dining rooms. If you have a particular reason you can't eat at your regular assignment, you might be able to persuade the maitre d' to allow you into one of the PC dining rooms one night. Something like a shore excursion that gets you back too late to make it to early seating traditional.

WeBeGone - I don't think D5 was talking specifically at you - I think she was talking in general.

My husband and I usually do traditional dining at a large table and enjoy meeting new people (like MHS4) Last year we had a group of 4 at an 8-top table...we were so disappointed when no one else sat at our table all week. We have typically gone to the other (pay) restaurants and try to let our tablemates know ahead...but sometimes things change on the moments notice.

I'm sure that if Traditional or Anytime Dining don't work for you - the cruise staff would work w/ cruisers to suit their taste ( I would hope!)

You're assuming that we didn't let our tablemates (my family) know, which we did. And we only went to another dining room twice out of 7 nights. I believe the OP meant to try another dining room like we did, not give up traditional altogether. Don't be so quick to judge.

Well, I think you're sort of missing the point. I agree that eating elsewhere and letting your tablemates know about it for 2 nights out of the 7 isn't rude. But the problem is that you were taking up seats in the anytime DRs on those nights and possibly lengthening the wait for the passengers who had signed up for anytime dining. If a lot of traditional diners do this, even for 2 nights apiece, think of the chaos in the anytime rooms!! I have seen traditional diners turned away from the anytime DRs, but apparently that is not universal. Anyway, it doesn't seem fair to the anytime diners -- that is the problem that has everyone here at odds.

You CAN take a couple of meals at anytime if for example you fancy a particular entertainment or similar. There is no need to tell any one. We did exactly this and tried to let the regular maitre d' know.We tried pursers desk etc etc they all said just go to the anytime room and wait if necessary. We did, no wait and met great tablemates.

Well, I think you're sort of missing the point. I agree that eating elsewhere and letting your tablemates know about it for 2 nights out of the 7 isn't rude. But the problem is that you were taking up seats in the anytime DRs on those nights and possibly lengthening the wait for the passengers who had signed up for anytime dining. If a lot of traditional diners do this, even for 2 nights apiece, think of the chaos in the anytime rooms!! I have seen traditional diners turned away from the anytime DRs, but apparently that is not universal. Anyway, it doesn't seem fair to the anytime diners -- that is the problem that has everyone here at odds.

I agree - you can't do both and posters shouldn,t suggest that they can do both or even try it - if everybody did it it would create complete chaos in the dining rooms. The traditional could be empty and the PC with people who opted for PC waiting because there were an abundance of traditional diners utilizing all of the tables.

Ron

I agree - you can't do both and posters shouldn,t suggest that they can do both or even try it - if everybody did it it would create complete chaos in the dining rooms. The traditional could be empty and the PC with people who opted for PC waiting because there were an abundance of traditional diners utilizing all of the tables.

Ron

I agree with Ron. The system isn’t set up so that people can come and go from Traditional to Anytime as they wish. If Traditional diners drift over to Anytime a couple of nights a week – especially without warning – the Anytime dining room is stressed. Moreover, there seems to be wait lists for Traditional Dining often. If one is not apt to use Traditional Dining for the entire cruise, there are others who would be more than happy to take your place.

Bottom line – you should really choose one or the other and stick to it in order to let the system work the way it’s supposed to and to be fair to everyone on board. I can see where some circumstances might indicate it appropriate to go from Traditional to Anytime occasionally, but should be limited to something like a late shore excursion return. Just because one wants to see a certain comedian or show doesn’t seem to me to hold enough weight to merit a change. We must remember that while some don't care for the Traditional Dining set up, others do. Again, Princess is trying to be everything to everyone and in order to successfully do that, some guidelines have to be followed.

We were holding booking on Sapphire her inaugural year. Early reports were coming back telling of the necessity of reservations for the anytime dining rooms, that way you can have the same table and wait staff each night and you won't have a wait. Excuse me. isn't that traditional dining?

I posted a comment stating we wanted to eat when we were hungry that is why we choose anytime and if reservations were necessary I was going to be a little pis*ed off. One of the very helpful CC members wrote to me and said "If you can't make a reservation two hours before you want to eat, maybe you should go to the buffet every night."

We have sailed 18 nights with anytime, never made a reservation and have had to wait a few times, maybe 5 minutes each.

bdjam and corian have expressed themselves much better than I can, I agree with everything they have listed. It is our responsibility to take some time, understand what we should expect on board and just use some common sense about things.

PCD dining only requires reservations if you know when you want to eat and you do not want to wait - however - we have never waited for more than 5 minutes on any Princes ship when going at various times to PC dining - yes - if we are OK for a fixed schedule and we find a waiter that pleases us we will reserve his/her table for the duration - and, no - this is not traditional dining because you sit nwith different people every night - whereas - in TD you sitwith the same people every night.

Ron

Archived