Baaa...baaaaa...(sheep noise)!!

Danno

I read a short article in the travel section of our newspaper...the writer, who has cruises extensively, commented that the cruise lines have become so generic that you almost have to go outside and look at the hull to figure out what line you are on.

His point was, executives with theses lines have become so scared to be become innovative or adventurous...that every cruiseline, looks, acts, feels and works alike...the staff even flow from sister line to sister line with no need to change routines and require no new training.

Seeing X now and having sailed with them 15 years ago...tough to argue the point...any thoughts??

Sadly, this is true. Cruising on HAL (which I enjoy), each ship has the same basic layout with little individual distinction. On a recent trip on Mercury, my impression was not that of a ship, but of a crowded big city hotel. Art, decor, menues, loyalty programs, and room names are also largely "standardized". The emphasis on efficiency of scale is evident everywhere. Everything is produced in "bulk". The polish and dedication of the cruise lines individual employees, on-board, make the cruise experience special. The days of travelling on unique low corporate impact ships like Hanseatic (the only passenger ship on the line at the time) and Vistafjord are rare. Still, it's a great way to go.

So whats the point, most all hotels or resorts, be they 5 star, 4 star , or 3 star are operated in a copy cat fashion. When I stay in a Hyatt, Westin or sheraton, I would have a hard time telling the difference.

So the premium cruise lines copy each other, as do the luxury lines.

If you are bored with the main stream lines, try the luxury lines for a change of pace, or the river cruises in Europe or even here in the good old U.S. of A.

Phil

This is easy to argue...

You know if it's a non Celebrity - mass market 'C' line ship when you see people at the rail chucking.

Other lines don't have the great service you have come to regard as the best.

Other lines don't take chances line RCL does. Ciique is one of them.

As are Rock walls - surfing on board... Yeah!!!!!

Or it's.....lets slide into the pool on top of 20 other people.

When people write how great the buffet was... That this made their whole cruise. Not the cruise expience as a whole.

Once again I find myself posting this:

"so glad we went on our first cruise vacation in 2003 so I can't complain and reminisce about the good old days."

In the past two years we have sailed Celebrity, Princess, and NCL. Now, sailing on the Princess Grand Class ships both times, yes these ships were alike but that isn't the question here, is it? Discussing one LINE to another, there was no question, we knew with whom we were sailing.

Honestly, nothing is the same, is it? The good old days are gone...........period, they ain't coming back so we need to adjust, don't we? If things were so much better then I don't understand how anyone can enjoy themselves, now.

No question that things aren't "the way they were in the old days"...it would just be refreshing to see a cruiseline say "we have a vision and it's OURS"!!!...but in todays North American corperate culture, innovation is considered high risk and to be a lemming is considered safe and comfortable. When you are the same as everyone else, and something fails, the execs are free from blame...

Next cruise MV Tupperware ;). (millions of them...they all look the same)

When I was researching our RCl cruise, I discovered that the menu is consistent no matter which itinerary you take. While most repeat cruisers find this a bit much, there were those who liked it because they found the predictability comforting. I find it...predictable. I go on vacation to be surprised and delighted.

Maybe I'm not qualified to comment, because the three lines with which I have the most experience are markedly different- Celebrity, Cunard, and Crystal. I've been on Princess several times, and didn't really care for it, but it wasn't 'bad.' Didn't see it as much like Celebrity, but will admit that I was on older ships- Sun, the old Golden, etc. The other three certainly produce distinct products still. I read a review that said that Oceana is doing yet another distinct product. So I think there's hope, certainly in the smaller lines, but in the middle of the market (or slightly higher end of the middle of the market- let's not start a war here) I think Celebrity will have many things in common with other lines, especially RCL under the same umbrella.

As my friend, Catmand, said on another thread this morning- still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!:D

Andrew

Andrew

isn't it strange how we all have different views.

We have sailed Princess 7 times and celebrity 7 times, and except for some small differences, pretty much the same expierence, great.

but having said that, my wife gives a small edge to princess while I give the edge to Celebrity:D

phil

When I was researching our RCl cruise, I discovered that the menu is consistent no matter which itinerary you take. While most repeat cruisers find this a bit much, there were those who liked it because they found the predictability comforting. I find it...predictable. I go on vacation to be surprised and delighted.

I agree...I always thought that some "core" choices should be consistant, say 3 of 5 dishes with the balance reflecting the area being cruised...perhaps a Caribbean dish while in that area, or a Mexican dish etc...

Catmand...my original post was not a complaint, rather an observation...we in North America, at one time, had nerve, vision, imagination...we got excited about being unique and forward thinking. We seem to have lost that...now we want to comfortable and follow the rest of the world...ask GM how well that's working.

I would say that RCI is very proactive about setting their product apart. It seems that every ship that comes out has new innovations and new amenities. For the more upscale lines they can not do much to separate themselves. Whenever someone comes on here suggesting something new, there is an uproar saying we want a more traditional cruise experience. It seams to me that people that sail on more upscale lines (Celebrity included) don't want innovation or change.

Whenever someone comes on here suggesting something new, there is an uproar saying we want a more traditional cruise experience. It seams to me that people that sail on more upscale lines (Celebrity included) don't want innovation or change.
New things can be added without taking away the traditional elements. Some of the finest hotels were offering in-room internet service long before it became popular among the "mass market" outfits. Heck, we had Wi-Fi in hotels long before we had it on cruise ships. In neither case did this addition detract from the otherwise "traditional" experience at whatever level it was being offered.

Heck, as things have been going, a truly traditional cruise experience would in fact be considered innovative were a line to attempt to pull it off.

I'm with Danno on this one. I like some consistency, like knowing there'll be a glass of champagne there when we board, but I would like some different choices for meals. I was sad when I saw that the meals on our Alaska cruise were identical to those from 8 months earlier to Panama were the same.

Yes, it'd be nice to have 3 of the best, most popular choices for entrees, but something reflecting the cruising area would be nice for the other choices. We didn't even have crab on the Alaska cruise, so people who were expecting it stayed ashore and ate in a restaurant ashore.

But whatever, I still didn't have to cook it, nor clean up from cooking it, so I love it.

We started cruising in 1974 and have cruised about 40 times over the years. There certainly were a lot fewer choices in 1974 than there are now. I think if you consider the price of a cruise in 1974 compared to what it is now, you would have to consider the prices on the luxury cruiselines of today to be the equivalent of a mass market cruise then.

I'm sure if we want to pay the freight to sail with Seabourne, Silversea, Crystal or some of the others, we would find things to be as good or better than what we experienced 30 years ago. Maybe that's one of the reasons people feel quality is declining.

Let's also consider the possibility that the first time we try something new is always the most exciting and we don't spend our time looking for faults because we're too busy just enjoying ourselves. I try to always keep that attitude and don't go out of my way to look for problems and when they occur and are dealt with, I tend to forget they ever occurred.

I can remember as a child how older people were always saying that everything in the past is always better than the present. I decided long ago that if I ever heard myself speaking that way I would surely know I was an old codger.;)

Yes, there were some things that were better in the past, but there are also a lot of new and exciting things available in the cruising world that were not available to us then.:)

Danno, I owe you an apology. The tone of my post was a little harsh, I think I must be getting cranky in my old age. I guess it would just be nice to have a discussion about what is good, today as opposed to what could be better tomorrow.

Wanda and I jumped on a special last minute deal back in October. NCL had a ship here in San Francisco dry dock and some added cabins fell through so with two weeks on their hands they set up three short cruises. We booked a 2 nighter for $149.00 p/p. There is no need to go into detail here but I suggest if anyone is interested, take a look at the pictures, I think the decor speaks for itself and states volumes of the kind of cruise we had. Never mind the cheap fare, they still charged us. The excursion made us really appreciate Celebrity and Princess.

But in answer to something you mentioned in the original post:

"His point was, executives with theses lines have become so scared to be become innovative or adventurous...that every cruiseline, looks, acts, feels and works alike..."

Think about the reception the Cirque thing got. I don't mean a debate now about how good it was or was not, but that was sure something new and different and how well did we receive it and what sort of a chance was it given?

Think about the reception the Cirque thing got.

Good for them for trying!! I never saw it, but from what I heard the biggest problem in the eyes of most was that they took one of the most breathtaking parts of the ship and covered the windows and made it all Las Vegas(ie)...I don't know if the problem was so much the idea, but the implimentation of it.

As my VP often tells me...the best way to never do anything wrong, is to never do anything at all...not a tack we often take.

Oh, and Cat...none needed...these boards are to exchange ideas. Not to agree with the OP in every instance...as long as it's not personal, I enjoy the challenge :D .

Well, yes, I agree with you. The mass market lines are rather homogenized.

But there are some things Celebrity can do for starters.

First, put new bedding in all the rooms. Pillowtop mattresses. duvets, etc.

The bedding in my Cat 8C Carnival Liberty cabin last month but Celebrity to shame. Why offer it only in CC. Offer it category wide.. like HAL and Carnival.

Likewise Carnival upgraded and "upmarketed"(if there is such a word) their menues. Come on Celebrity...... please don't want to keep ordering by rote anymore.

And please.... first run movies in-cabin.. not the same old... same old..

Yes, RCCL does have innovative activities on their ships.. and for a price... and usually at higher price points than the competition. including Celebrity.

Babette,

I would agree with everything you said. The beds leave a lot to be desired, the in cabin entertainment is non-existent and they could use some new menu items. I heard they were trying out new menus, have you heard anything regarding this?

Joan

I've always found the in-cabin entertainment to be outstanding. Of course, that may be because I take my honey with me. :eek: :D

Oh wait. You're talking about what's on the TV. Never mind.

Thatta boy, Bob. :)

Way to go, Bob.;) You're right. I wouldn't be watching TV anyway, but for those who love it, it is pretty bleak. Just thought I should agree that there are some areas that could use a little upgrading. Even though I always enjoy the food, I think I have the menu memorized.

I never sailed HAL, but briefely considered it for our Baltic Cruise next summer. When I did I learned that they offered four different times for dinner in their two story dining room where the first two and last two overlap. Since most Celebrity Ships have two level dining rooms, they could easily do this, as well. That way a person wouldn't be forced to decide between a dinner time that is much earlier than they want or much later than they want.

Archived