Insurance

wrecks

Insurance

We are sailing on the Dawn Princess to the Mexican Riviera Saturday, December 10th. Our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were going to join us, but unfortunately our son-in-law's father, who has been battling cancer, took an unexpected turn for the worse and they had to cancel their vacation last night.

Besides the impending loss of his father, the loss of their vacation, they did not have insurance.

We will, of course, through letter writing, attempt to convince Princess to give them credit for a future cruise (or even 50% credit.) I know from reading these forums that it is most unlikely that that will happen, but it's certainly worth a try.

The lesson to be learned for all the folks new to cruising, buy insurance.

I would welcome suggestions from anyone that might have been successful with Princess in a situation like this.

They have no recourse... Princess will not reimburse or allow future cruise credit.. Since your SIL knew about his fathers condition, he should have purchased Insurance. We never purchased insurance until a few years ago when we realized that our parents were getting older. This year, my dad passed away 2 days before our April Hawaii cruise on the Island. Because we had insurance, we received all of our money back.

I'm very sorry to hear of your family's sorrow. Unfortunately your son-in-law will not get anything back from Princess as he did not take out insurance. I never book a cruise (or land holiday) without taking insurance, you never know what is going to happen.

Also very sorry to hear of this for your family. But writing letters will not help you at all. A definite reminder to all those that think they don't need insurance, it doesn't just cover yourself but others in your family that might take ill.

Sorry they will have to forfeit their cruise fares, but it is a lesson learned.

Hope all works out for the best.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.

I truly don't know why they didn't buy insurance, they did when we sailed last December on the Star. Ah, kids!

As I said, buy insurance!

Largin, bring your snow boots up here, about 8" on the ground now and still coming down.

Largin,

Out of curiosity, who did you get ins. with. We have been using Princess since we get upgraded and has been what we needed and only had a claim once for a stolen camera and everything was handled promptly. But it doesn't hurt to find out what travel ins. others have used and made claims on that they are happy with for future reference. Thanks in advance.

donna5.. It was Princess

Wrecks.. I bought some cheapo boots this morning. Daughter called and said around 5 inches a few days ago in Spokane.. Gonna be a long 15 days.. I told her she better have that baby while we are there and to plan for summer delivery if she plans on having another. :D

There was an article on this exact kind of situation in the Los Angeles Times Travel section a couple of Sundays ago along with tips on what to do. From what I remember, Princess denies these requests because it wouldn't be fair to those who do buy the insurance, but there were suggestions on how to get part of your money back. Also, if I remember correctly, if the cruise sells out, they must refund the money. They're not allowed to make money twice on one cabin. Go to latimes.com and search under Princess Cruises. The article is called "Nonrefundable - sometimes it pays to fight company policy".

I cruised often with my husband as he lost his battle to cancer, and you have all my sympathy.

Best wishes,

Mia

I too am sorry for the loss.

I can probably think of at least a dozen stories like this I have read on these boards. I hope your post convinces someone who would have passed on the insurance how important it can be. We always think that we can afford the cruise, we can afford the insurance, what we can't afford is a cruise we won't/can't take.

It is also a good idea to remind folks that there is more to the insurance than trip cancellation, medical while cruising for one.

Our best wishes.

Squecky wheels get the grease. A simular thing happened to our family on Princess. My uncle had a stroke a month before their cruise and could not go. No insurance was purchased (not the smartest thing as he was 80 years old). BUT .... princess allowed us to transfer the cruise to another couple. Luckily we had friends that wanted to take over the cruise and costs. NOthing was lost. But it shows,,,, princess can and will bend the rules...if you ask. Nicely of course!

Good luck.

I'm so sorry to hear about your family's situation and pending loss. I lost my Mom last week so I know how difficult it is.

There are so many difficult situations that come up and so many last-minute family emergencies that can happen that as someone who always buys insurance, I'm one who does get upset if Princess bends the rules or refunds money to those who don't. It makes a mockery of my insurance coverage.

Last May, I was on a 21-day Royal Princess cruise last April & May when I learned that my Dad had been suddenly diagnosed with an aggressive inoperable cancer and to make plans to go to FL as soon as I returned. I had insurance and was able to change my plans to stay in Rome to fly home as soon as we docked. I made it in time and he passed away a week later.

The bottom line... unless you can afford to lose the amount you've spent on your cruise, get the cruise insurance. If you don't need it, then all is well in your world. The time you do need it, it'll be well worth the money.

Cruise lines used to be more flexible but since 9-11, they all seem to have became much more strict. I really wouldn't expect any money back.

An alternative to Princess's insurance - we use Access America and had to cancel a cruise due to a parent needing surgery. They paid the claim within 2 weeks and were great to deal with.

Archived