Silver Spirit Missing Cruises

sail1658

Still waiting to hear in writing from SS, however when the Shadow was charted for three months this year, those who had previously booked in 2016 were offered 30% off any voyage in 2016 or 20% off any voyage in 2017. So the current offer is vastly inferior.

When I spoke with an agent this morning, it seems the Wind has had one voyage pulled too (for a charter)

Ive had my first gambit and without going into the detail, it was flatly refused as unbelievably despite actually giving the full 30%, they didnt include all my current discounts and the air fair they added was three and a half times what the travel agent quoted and presumably taken from the SS system in the first place! I was going to post the details, but decided against - but needless to say it was a bit embarassing - both efforts. I do think people will need to fight to get anything near a compromise - despite silly comments read elsewhere on how wonderful Silversea has been over what its offered. Maybe we'll get T-Shirts!

With the number of people affected, I think it will take a fair bit of time - I expect they've not even got round to telling anyone the bad news yet.

Edited by les37b

Good Afternoon Brimary : Hope you are both well and that you are keeping calm in the light of your Bookings situation !!!! How wonderful to be approaching 650 days ( we are still edging towards 500 !!! ) but most frustrating to be facing the Spirit refit and its schedule consequences.

We are having similar issues with Silversea over a recent BB Caribbean/Transatlantic Booking on The Spirit for Spring 2019 - within 5 days of the Booking both Sections have been substantially altered, the 2nd Segment reduced by 3 days, a different Port of Disembarkation and possibility of the 1st Segment being split into 2 ' Taster Cruises ' !!!!! - all they can Offer is a 10% reduction on the 2nd Segment ( which is less than half of the original Per Day Cost - i.e a Cruise Increase by Stealth ) & a $1000 US Per Suite OBC. As you can imagine I am in discussion with them !!!!

I feel that we have seen the best of Silversea - the Fiasco surrounding the Muse Dining and the resultant changes so soon after Launch leads me to suspect a lack of understanding at the Top of what makes Silversea attractive to longstanding ' Venetians'. I agree they need to roll out new things to attract new Guests but at least make some attempt to consider the consequence of their actions. We board the Muse on 20th so will be keen to experience what looks like a beautiful ship.

What exactly are they doing to The Spirit to cause this disruption, apart from some extra Suites ?

We wish you well and look forward to hearing the outcome.

When I spoke with an agent this morning, it seems the Wind has had one voyage pulled too (for a charter)

Ive had my first gambit and without going into the detail, it was flatly refused as unbelievably despite actually giving the full 30%, they didnt include all my current discounts and the air fair they added was three and a half times what the travel agent quoted and presumably taken from the SS system in the first place! I was going to post the details, but decided against - but needless to say it was a bit embarassing - both efforts. I do think people will need to fight to get anything near a compromise - despite silly comments read elsewhere on how wonderful Silversea has been over what its offered. Maybe we'll get T-Shirts!

With the number of people affected, I think it will take a fair bit of time - I expect they've not even got round to telling anyone the bad news yet.

Unfortunately the Wind lost 2 voyages before and one after to charters around the only remaining eastern Med voyage, so no like for like available.

After a number of emails and a couple of calls some sanity is appearing in Monaco and the London office is becoming sensible in what they are offering. I suggest you keep plugging away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately the Wind lost 2 voyages before and one after to charters around the only remaining eastern Med voyage, so no like for like available.

After a number of emails and a couple of calls some sanity is appearing in Monaco and the London office is becoming sensible in what they are offering. I suggest you keep plugging away.

Can I tempt you to share what you've found out in email?

Ive just been fed a bit more and does fall short and still end up costing more, but it is better than what had been offered before. One worked out more that I could have got with my pre applied discounts using a TA without the 30% this one was entitled to. I know you've said there is no like for like, but there is very close match on the Muse in June. Did you inquire for that? I was pretty miffed with the proposal!

I assume you are hopeful of finding something suitable?

I just got a call from my TA saying "don't book airfare".... We're booked in Silver Spirit for an April 18, 2018 sailing (Venice to Athens). He said that there would be an announcement over the weekend. Reading the comments on this thread so far, it appears that the 2-week drydock that was previously scheduled in March has turned into a multi-month refit.

There was massive disruption to the Silver Wind cruises for February 2018. My travel agent contact SS who said "There some itinerary changes affecting Voyages 2801-2807. All guests and travel agents have been informed.

Mr Brown’s voyage 2809 is not affected by this itinerary change.."

We shall see!

I am now starting to wonder if I have done the right thing in booking this cruise!

If it all goes horribly wrong then I hope my travel insurance will be OK. I have paid deposits - for two persons on my airfares, a precruise hotel in San Juan, full fare (upfront) for further flights fron San Juan to St Kitts (short post cruise break) and hotel deposits there as well, so a reduced fare offer wouldn't cut it with me ....

This cruise was a "SKI" holiday (Spend Kids Inheritance) so I am hoping that all goes well. For the 'oldies' out there, I am now thinking of Burl Ives....... "There's a hole in my bucket ...."

🤞

Hi Mayflower,We have cancelled the seven cruises involved and received a full refund apart from an admin charge of £260 !!!!! Must be a loyalty charge.!Totally agree with your thoughts expressed in your paragraph on the state of Silversea especially as we learned of this situation on Cruise Critic and not direct from agent or SS.Anyway hope your Muse cruise goes well and you both enjoy a happy vacation.Will the amendments to the Muse dining arrangements and dress code forced on SS be in place for your cruise? I hope so !

There was massive disruption to the Silver Wind cruises for February 2018. My travel agent contact SS who said "There some itinerary changes affecting Voyages2801-2807. All guests and travel agents have been informed.

Mr Brown’s voyage 2809 is not affected by this itinerary change.."

We shall see!

I am now starting to wonder if I have done the right thing in booking this cruise!

If it all goes horribly wrong then I hope my travel insurance will be OK. I have paid deposits - for two persons on my airfares, a precruise hotel in San Juan, full fare (upfront) for further flights fron San Juan to St Kitts (short post cruise break) and hotel deposits there as well, so a reduced fare offer wouldn't cut it with me ....

This cruise was a "SKI" holiday (Spend Kids Inheritance) so I am hoping that all goes well. For the 'oldies' out there, I am now thinking of Burl Ives....... "There's a hole in my bucket ...."

��

Hi,

If you have booked the cruise and flights as a part of a package then you should be fine. If you have booked your flights seperately then I do not think you are insured if the cruise is cancelled unless you have bought cover that does that specifically. However, although it is a grey area SS regularly reimburse out of pocket expense if they cancel a cruise. If it's BA I'd check your tickets though as many have partial refunds or allow changes. All redemptions carry a small charge for cancellations.

I'm puzzled why you've only paid deposits. Was it some sort of travel package?

My TA is an 'agent' (if that is the right word?) of SS (full cruise fare paid many moons ago) and also a 'preferred partner' of BA so I suspect that the reason for the 'deposit only' on the flights is similar to their own version of a loyalty bonus? They also give me free seat asignments / lounge access etc.

They had to charge the full fare for SJU to SKB and explained why.

All flights are ticketed via BA although the transatlantic flight is on AA with a BA flight number)

I suspect it is me getting paranoid :)

Totally agree with your thoughts expressed in your paragraph on the state of Silversea especially as we learned of this situation on Cruise Critic and not direct from agent or SS.

Understood. I have been greatly frustrated in similar situations with another luxury line.

Welcome to the world of the internet and social media. Travel providers like Silversea are in a difficult position. As soon as they notify TAs or guests, someone is bound to post the information on social media like Cruise Critic. It's very difficult to execute a phased communication plan in this environment.

Do you have a booking reference number? If you haven't the tickets may not have been purchased by your TA in which case a refund should be possible less any admin charge that your TA or BA invokes.

If you have a PNR ie booking reference number put that number into an app like "My Flights" - and if that has a long number at the bottom of the page for each of you that would normally begin with "126" for BA rlights then the tickets has been bought and you have been ticketed. If it has the PNR but not the long number - then it hasn't been ticketed, so your TA "could" still cancel without a charge. If I were you, and had some nagging concerns, simply call your TA and discuss them and they may be able to put your mind at rest.

Phew!

If you

Understood. I have been greatly frustrated in similar situations with another luxury line.

Welcome to the world of the internet and social media. Travel providers like Silversea are in a difficult position. As soon as they notify TAs or guests, someone is bound to post the information on social media like Cruise Critic. It's very difficult to execute a phased communication plan in this environment.

Indeed.

Whatever they do and in whatever order, someone will have cause to object and complain. Except in operations where agents aren't used and a direct sell is solely used then you have much greater control.

Fair point if Travel Agents had all been informed. It certainly seems to be the case many definitely haven't looking at a couple of posts up two days on! I booked direct with SS. How long does an email composed by the company take to send out to its own booking guest who they are responsible for? In my case, I found out in this thread and the info given has changed from what I was first told. I've still not got any official notification though we all know it's all gone and it does appear the Spirit is not the only casualty so maybe it was the sheer number that's caused the brain freeze to inform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My TA called this afternoon and confirmed the cancellation and said to hang on until next week for the official letter. She was quite miffed to have found out this way and at having to go to 3 different people to get answers from SS.

I found an almost identical cruise in April except in reverse order on the new Regent Explorer so we are seriously considering it. Will be more $$ for sure which is annoying.

M

Spoke with my travel agent who said Silversea has a specific person now dealing with all this. I looked at one possible new booking but the cost was not worth it. Seems they will know more next week, whatever that means! My TA was also upset to learn via me via Cruise Critic!

Good Morning Brimary - What a pain that you have had to cancel 7 Cruises after all that Planning - where are you off to now ???

Our forthcoming Muse Cruise is still under the old Dining/Dress Rules as far as we know !!! - watch this space.

Hmm. With the main problem conveyed with the offer being the money off is eaten by price increases that have taken place. If that wasn't bad enough, I've notice yet more price hikes that have taken place overnight killing stone dead an option I'd thought about. Giveth in one hand springs to mind!

I'm guessing those on Spirit cruises "jumping ship" has probably caused this, though I did think that price increases generally took place on the 1st of each month.

Just posting to keep in mind if this is going to happen on other cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning Brimary - What a pain that you have had to cancel 7 Cruises after all that Planning - where are you off to now ???

Our forthcoming Muse Cruise is still under the old Dining/Dress Rules as far as we know !!! - watch this space.

Agree with above, cannot believe that you have been charged anything for cancelling the remaining voyages. Monaco madness.

Without going into details we now have a satisfactory alternative solution. A lot of hard work and some pressure applied.

It would have made sense to have kept the voyages on the website and just stalled on quotes until all TA's and direct customers at least had an email explaining what was happening and an opportunity of a call.

It's been a tough week for the reservations staff in the London office and next week is not going to be fun either.

Thanks should go to them for working hard in a difficult situation and in my case, for being polite, understanding and as helpful as possible.

Without going into details we now have a satisfactory alternative solution. A lot of hard work and some pressure applied.

It would have made sense to have kept the voyages on the website and just stalled on quotes until all TA's and direct customers at least had an email explaining what was happening and an opportunity of a call.

It's been a tough week for the reservations staff in the London office and next week is not going to be fun either.

Thanks should go to them for working hard in a difficult situation and in my case, for being polite, understanding and as helpful as possible.

Excellent news and well done.

I completely agree with what you are saying about the consultants having a hard time dealing with a difficult situation. I emphasised with mine that he would not find me shouting or getting angry on the other end of the phone and told him I completely understood how this next week or so was going to be very hard. No one likes bad news! It's not their fault and if you want their help, you need to keep them onside with you. I'm hoping he will be able to address some of the inconsistencies of the quote I've been provided and get to a point we get a satisfactory outcome, though I'm now less optimistic having viewed the price changes this morning.

Edited by les37b

Hi Mayflower,

No more planned cruises booked for first time since 1998!!Will see what 2019 brochure throws up in the way of cruises and dry docks!

Look forward to hearing your reports from the Muse..Enjoy!

What does it mean to "stretch" the Silver Spirit? And does anyone know what the refurbishment plan is?

Thanks.

Jim no one knows for 100% certain if this is what is happening, but SS definitely have stated their intentions to expand the ships size to make it "Muse" size. Plus the length of time for this dry dock lends itself to the notion.

This is a youtube timelapse of the process. It's very clever what they do. A ship having an extension.

Edit.... oops beaten too it! Clip removed as it was the same one posted above.