Do I need to take the air deviation?

Petoonya

Just committed to the spring transatlantic Barbados to Nice.

My question is...do I need to buy an air deviation if I do not want to stay in either destination at the beginning or end of my cruise? It would be great to have a few days at each end, but can't do it this time. (I have the "free" air, and do not have FF miles to use.)

However, since it's a transatlantic by taking the cruise lines air and not arranging to arrive a day or two early in Bridgetown, I run the risk of missing the boat and the entire cruise. (I would be flying from the west coast to Barbados btw, at least one connection, possibly two using the cruise lines air.)

Any comments or experiences to report? Is it just a no brainer- get the deviation and plan on arriving a day early as usual- forget letting Oceania take care of it?

Do they offer a pre-cruise hotel package in Bridgetown?

Your choice:

1) Take their "free" air AND book the hotel package through them--no deviation necessary.

2) Take the "free" air AND a deviation to arrive a day or two or three early and book your own hotel

3) Opt out of the "free" air (They will give you a credit) and book whatever hotels you want.

We figured the costs between #1 and #2 on ours...The deviation ran us $300 total, but we more than made up for it with our own hotels versus Oceania's...But, with only a one-night hotel stay, the Oceania hotel package (which would include transfers) would probably make sense...

I don't think they'd fly you in too late for the ship...but, for me, I always prefer to get in a day early...more relaxing and it helps with jet lag and other similar issues...and relieves my usual anxiety...

BTW, I hope you really like the ship and at-sea days...That's an 11-nighter with only one port day...and you don't get into that port until NOON!!!

Thanks Steve.

We've done TA's before and Regatta- love them both.

When doing Oceania have always done an air deviation- this is the first time have considered not...so just wondered what other's experiences were. Anyone?

There are only so many flights that Oceania can book..if you dont do a deviation and you dont like your flights (which may be the same as you would book) get your schedule early and you can always pay the deviation to change..

JMHO

Jan

Please see my thread yesterday regarding the problems we had since they would not give us a deviation. It was a nightmare getting home...almost 24 hours flying their "free" air package. By all means we would recommend the deviation. Don't count on them getting you your itinerary on time to make a deviation request. Although we were promised that would be available, they waited until the air tickets were issued to tell us what our itinerary would be, then told us it was too late to request the deviation.

Whatever you decide, you will love the ship...and hope you have a great time.

Shirley

When Steve mentioned "anxiety" it was pause for reflection. I'm going to get the deviation so we can arrive a day early and I don't have to worry- too much.

Smart move...Get there, relax...

When we sent my parents on the Constellation year before last, we booked them a day early into London...As it turned out, their flight LAX to Chicago was delayed, causing them to miss their connection to London. They had to scramble for a hotel in Chicago and a flight out the next morning. Thankfully, they had that extra day built in and they still made it to Dover with plenty of time, though they did have to cancel plans with relatives in London...

You never know what could happen...

Reading Shirley's account makes me extremely glad I took the deviation on my July cruise...I had this horrible picture in my mind of finding out a month before sailing that I'd have to fly LA to Istanbul by way of Phoenix, Atlanta, London and Athens with six hours' layover at each stop!!!

Instead, with the deviation, I already know I'm making only one stop at JFK on the way there...and one stop in Frankfurt on the way home...and I'm getting in to Istanbul 2 days early...Well worth the extra $300...Now I can worry about other things...

Archived