California Coastal Cruise to Vancouver

moosenaroundtheship

Starboard is more likely to be alee when heading north, but there is a lot of ocean to cover between LA and Vancouver so they tend to pick a pretty brisk pace and winds across the bow routinely hit 40kts when you combine 20kts of wind from the north (not impossible) with 20kts of speed.

All up, having sailed these itineraries frequently, don't plan on spending a lot of time on the balcony. If you do, pick a deck with more depth so you can be sheltered a bit more by the balcony dividers.

Yes, definitely starboard if you're heading north. You'll get less wind that way. The last time I did a wine coastal, I was so glad I was on the starboard side. The port side was really getting hit with wind. You most likely won't be able to see the coast for the majority of the cruise but for the wind, yes, do starboard.

Thoughts....

• do you want to see a rising sun or setting sun?
  • I prefer starboard for a Northbound trip..... you get to see more land leaving California and you get to see land first coming into the passage.
  • after those few hours leaving port and arriving at the passage... the ship cruises very far away from land. It's truly a "sea day". Some say cruise ships avoid land, especially around Astoria for calmer open waters away from the Columbia River.

Thoughts....

• do you want to see a rising sun or setting sun?
  • I prefer starboard for a Northbound trip..... you get to see more land leaving California and you get to see land first coming into the passage.
  • after those few hours leaving port and arriving at the passage... the ship cruises very far away from land. It's truly a "sea day". Some say cruise ships avoid land, especially around Astoria for calmer open waters away from the Columbia River.

I booked starboard. :)

Yes, definitely starboard if you're heading north. You'll get less wind that way. The last time I did a wine coastal, I was so glad I was on the starboard side. The port side was really getting hit with wind. You most likely won't be able to see the coast for the majority of the cruise but for the wind, yes, do starboard.

The point made, and one I agree most, is that coastal views are scant. Starboard north bound usually helps with wind cover, as is posted. I have seen the apparent wind along this route a bit above 65 knots. If I recall correctly, all open decks were closed for several hours for several hours.

Recent return from Alaska to SFO found us on the normally breezy side of the ship, but were surprised at the calm (and pleasant) conditions on our standard balcony, D deck near mid-ship. It was a memorable afternoon of great Yahtzee, a bottle of wine, and watching for orcas. Soooo, one never knows. Enjoy!