Using Ginger Root to avoid Sea Sickness

tgetz

On the Fjord tour in Seward through the Gulf of Alaska 2 weeks ago I consumed 50 mg of Meclizine and still felt a little sick so I bought a souvenir cup of hot ginger lemon tea. It seemed to take the edge off. One can go past the point of diminishing returns with Meclizine and simply fall asleep. I enjoyed the tour enough to eat the fresh salmon dinner on Fox Island and to get incredible pictures of whales and seals and puffins!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use this for when I"m flying in small aircraft as part of my photography business. Seems to work at least for me. ReliefBand Motion Sickness Device which I purchased through Amazon. Sorry, Amazon link and photo will not post for me.

Edited by hawgwildterry

I know I'm setting myself up here, but please, just stop all of the folklore and voodoo remedies for 'seasickness'; it will make your life so much more fun and less complicated.

Based on 24 years in the US navy, sailing in every sea state imaginable; I have never experienced this so-called 'malady'. And I've walked on a few bulkheads in my time. Did I see others 'suffering' from this 'condition'? Oh Yes, and some were vomiting as soon as we took in all lines (having not even yet left the pier)!

Which leads me to my conclusion based on my experience. This apparent malady is entirely psycho-somatic, and doesn't deserve the time it receives on these boards! ;):)

But go ahead and fire away, I can take it!

I know I'm setting myself up here, but please, just stop all of the folklore and voodoo remedies for 'seasickness'; it will make your life so much more fun and less complicated.

Based on 24 years in the US navy, sailing in every sea state imaginable; I have never experienced this so-called 'malady'. And I've walked on a few bulkheads in my time. Did I see others 'suffering' from this 'condition'? Oh Yes, and some were vomiting as soon as we took in all lines (having not even yet left the pier)!

Which leads me to my conclusion based on my experience. This apparent malady is entirely psycho-somatic, and doesn't deserve the time it receives on these boards! ;):)

I suspect you have never experienced child birth either. Is it too a psychosomatic condition?

We always bring ginger pills with us. We were originally told to take 2 every 4-5 hours; but when the seas are getting bad, we normally only need to take them once. I don't get seasick very often anymore though. Since I also can get car sick, I take the ginger pills when we are doing excursions through windy mountain roads. It has solved my problem. We also bring a product called relief bands. It looks like watch and sends an electrical pulse through your wrist. They work very well. I have had employee borrow one for morning sickness when she was pregnant and she loved it. It is also used by people on chemo. There was a Myth Buster segment several years ago that discussed the best motion sickness remedies. The Relief Band and ginger pills were the best.

OH.. COME CLOSE SO I CAN BARF ON YOU WHEN IT GETS REALLY ROUGH:') Unbelieveable

We have our Sea Bands and picked up some crystallized ginger today. Only 1 of our 3 grocery stores carried it. Unfortunately wife has already been into it and will probably have to buy some more before we leave home in 2 1/2 weeks. lol

Sometimes you can just suck on it rather than consume it.. so yummy I understand the weakness.

OH.. COME CLOSE SO I CAN BARF ON YOU WHEN IT GETS REALLY ROUGH:') Unbelieveable

What is your definition of really rough? :confused:

And you've already decided (beforehand) that you will be sick and you will barf even before the event? Sounds like the classic self-fulfilling prophecy to me, which is exactly my point - that it's all in your head. ;)

I sailed through a typhoon once and the ship was taking 45 degree rolls for two days, now that's really rough!;p

Really rough is when you have to keep one hand on a rail at all times or you'll be pitched around. That happened on a Fjord tour from Seward. Really rough on the ship is when everyone is walking around like they just left Joe's Bar at 2:00 AM and stumbling into each other. And that's why I wear sensible old lady shoes on cruises.

Really rough is when you have to keep one hand on a rail at all times or you'll be pitched around. Really rough on the ship is when everyone is walking around like they just left Joe's Bar at 2:00 AM and stumbling into each other.

That to me is relatively mild seas. I guess the definition of really rough is in the eyes of the beholder, right? ;)

OP, My ginger root from Walmart also 550 mgs - I take 2 before we leave port in the afternoon and 2 every morning and evening on a sea day.

I have taken up to 2 pills three times a day and have had no ill side effects nor have I had any sea sickness. It is nice not to be sleepy and drugged feeling like when I would take a Dramamine.

It could be that ginger works best as a preventive and no so well after one is green on her bunk. I actually sat in a lounge with a clear view of the pool emptying itself and crew members trying hard to cover it and getting splashed with giant pool waves. I took great pictures! But I wasn't seasick because I had taken Bonine.

It could be that ginger works best as a preventive and no so well after one is green on her bunk. I actually sat in a lounge with a clear view of the pool emptying itself and crew members trying hard to cover it and getting splashed with giant pool waves. I took great pictures! But I wasn't seasick because I had taken Bonine.

Yeah, I have experience with taking my meds in advance or at least chewing on Ginger candy and not being exceptionally queasy. Once the rough seas take ahold, its too late and you will be fighting it for hours..

Oh and for me.. its not just ships but amusement rides, back seats and bus rides!

What is your definition of really rough? :confused:

And you've already decided (beforehand) that you will be sick and you will barf even before the event? Sounds like the classic self-fulfilling prophecy to me, which is exactly my point - that it's all in your head. ;)

I sailed through a typhoon once and the ship was taking 45 degree rolls for two days, now that's really rough!;p

Just because it doesn't happen to you and it does thousands if not millions of people should you discredit is as it being a real life thing that I for one do not make it happen.

As others I too have vertigo and have been to physical therapy to dislodge the crystals and get them to the right place in my inner ear canal.

I often have gotten seasick while snorkeling in rough waters.

I get nauseous at just looking at a merry go round.

For the OP I too use the sea bands, meclizine ( bonine) ginger root capsules and ginger candy all seem to manage when on a cruise.

The worst I had it was in the Galapagos islands for 6 straight hours on a 75 foot boat where it rocked back and forth and left to right.

OP, My ginger root from Walmart also 550 mgs - I take 2 before we leave port in the afternoon and 2 every morning and evening on a sea day.

I have taken up to 2 pills three times a day and have had no ill side effects nor have I had any sea sickness. It is nice not to be sleepy and drugged feeling like when I would take a Dramamine.

Does anyone know what a placebo is?

Just because it doesn't happen to you and it does thousands if not millions of people should you discredit is as it being a real life thing that I for one do not make it happen.

As others I too have vertigo and have been to physical therapy to dislodge the crystals and get them to the right place in my inner ear canal.

I often have gotten seasick while snorkeling in rough waters.

I get nauseous at just looking at a merry go round.

For the OP I too use the sea bands, meclizine ( bonine) ginger root capsules and ginger candy all seem to manage when on a cruise.

The worst I had it was in the Galapagos islands for 6 straight hours on a 75 foot boat where it rocked back and forth and left to right.

My worst was an Alaska Fjord tour. It was 8 hours long and much of it was through the Gulf of Alaska on a small boat that rocked and pitched, sometimes violently. I took so much Bonine I was nearly stupefied. Snorkeling makes me seasick too.

Does anyone know what a placebo is?

The Epley maneuver is accepted by many in the medical profession as a valid treatment for vertigo.

Sea bands are based on the ancient art of acupressure and are also accepted by many in the medical profession.

They also study and verify the placebo effect, so whatever works is beneficial to many people.