First Time, Landlocked Cruiser questions

Lots of good advice here, but just to stress a few points.

1) Take some form of ID along with your cruise card. Although we are fairly experienced cruisers, we got off the ship in Nassau without our ID's thinking cruise ID would be enough. According to the Nassau customs agent we could have be detained. Luckily, he let us through! Seemed like a close call though. (We always leave passports in the safe.)

2) I have to have water shoes! Beaches can be hot and you may have to walk across a rocky area. I have a good pair of Land's End that tie, but I really prefer my Teva sandals that strap on.

3) We have our own masks and snorkels that are easy to get in the suitcase. Bought many years ago for one of our first cruises. After several trips, we decided flippers are just way too much trouble to carry. If we are on an excursion, we use the provided ones. Sometimes we just go without. We also have the vests which I always wear. Probably depends where you are if they are really needed. Many beaches have equipment rentals --probably can google and find out where.

4) Don't leave any valuables on a beach. Have a waterproof wallet that fits around my waist. Was on Labadee a couple years ago when a young lady near us left her cell phone on the chair for 5 minutes to get another chair and it was gone.

5) We take one small backpack for the two of us and usually carry ships towels, water, map, sunscreen including lip sunscreen, and take or wear hats.

Have a great cruise!

Renting something that goes in someone else's mouth...YUK. You have no idea of sanitation practices. Do yourselves a service by having your own. It doesn't take too much space in your luggage and you can always toss it especially since it will likely be cheaper to buy it than rent it.

If you are venturing out on your own, make sure your watch is set at Ship time. Many times the local island time is different and your cell phone if not set will automatically adjust to local time. This is a good reason to wear a watch. As stated above, the ship will not wait.

My boyfriend and I are heading out on our first cruise ever. We are from Colorado and have spent very little time on beaches in our lives. I am hoping I could get a few specific questions below answered, as well as just a general recommendation of items to bring that someone more familiar with climbing mountains than swimming in water might want to consider.

1. Does the ship provide towels, or do we need to buy a few beach towels to bring around with us? The ship will provide towels, but if you lose them, you will be charged. I think it's $25 per towel.
  2. Is there a way to rent snorkels anywhere? We will be snorkeling with an excursion in Bonaire, however there are three other beaches we plan on visiting (Curacao, St. Martin, Aruba) and would like to snorkel there as well. We don't want to purchase snorkels unless we must. The excursion should provide snorkel gear, but if you are on a beach on your on, you will need to bring your own gear. You may want to read this thread about purchasing gear onboard the ship: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2529329

3. What does your "beach bag" typically hold? Do you just bring a backpack to make it easier to walk around port and head to the beach? If we are going to a beach, my bag holds towels, sunscreen, small towel, bottled water, hand sanitizer. If we are on an excursion, my smaller bag will hold money, camera, one towel, sunscreen, bottled water, a smaller insulated bag to keep camera dry if it rains. Also, small plastic raincoats.
  4. Should I bring my passport off the ship, or just ID? No, we never bring our passports, just a copy. You will need your drivers license to get back inside the cruise terminal in addition to your set sail pass (cabin key).
  5. Do you recommend buying some sort of water shoe? I don't like them, but they are good if you will be walking on rocky beaches.
  6. Any other recommendations for this mountain gal (ps. I am gonna be an expert at that rock wall!) Enjoy your cruise, try everything, do everything and don't let the little things bother you. Read, read, read all you can on Cruise Critic.

Just for general knowledge, we are on the September 9 sailing of Adventure out of San Juan! We so look forward to taking advantage of our Deluxe Beverage Package at 7,000 feel lower in elevation, should be a fun experiment :cool:

You will have a great time and I promise, you will be come addicts like the rest of us.

Edited by Terre

So which is true? Can't say I've ever gone looking for snorkel gear onboard but isn't it available at Adventure Ocean?

I've seen ships sell snorkel gear, but I've never seen an RC ship rent snorkel gear.

Maybe this is what I saw and assumed they rented them rather than selling. There's usually a spot up on the pool deck.