Embarkation day lunch on Golden Princess

FunforGin

Hi I've only been on one cruise so far - Golden Princess. When we boarded the ship we couldn't find any restaurants open, only the Horizon Court, International Cafe and Trident Grill. Double checked the Princess Patter and there was no main dining room open on embarkation day.

My question is for those who have cruised on the Golden in particular.....was there a main dining room open for embarkation day when you cruised on her or do they always channel everyone to Horizon Court on that ship?;)

We went on the Sydney to Hong Kong repositioning cruise on Golden last year and the MDR wasn't open on the Sydney embarkation day. The cruise did originate in Melbourne (but was sold as two different options) so that may have been why it wasn't open on the Sydney day. At least that's what I assumed.

That's the only time I've not been able to go to the MDR for lunch on embarkation day (so far).

We went on the Sydney to Hong Kong repositioning cruise on Golden last year and the MDR wasn't open on the Sydney embarkation day. The cruise did originate in Melbourne (but was sold as two different options) so that may have been why it wasn't open on the Sydney day. At least that's what I assumed.

That's the only time I've not been able to go to the MDR for lunch on embarkation day (so far).

Sounds likely. As you said, if it isn't the first "embarkation port" it is simply a port day where more passengers are boarding and the MDR is closed for lunch.

OzKiwiJJ, I boarded that repo cruise you were on in Melbourne and no, no dining room open on embarkation day. But we boarded very late due to a deep clean and sanitise of the ship. Was also on FunforGin's NZ cruise last March and nope, no dining room open for lunch on embarkation day on that cruise either. To be frank, I was a bit peeved actually. I love my boarding day lunch in the dining room. Gets me nicely in the mood for a fun cruise.

Am sailing on the Golden again next year ... hoping the MDR will be serving lunch on boarding day. If not I'll be asking why not?

Sounds likely. As you said, if it isn't the first "embarkation port" it is simply a port day where more passengers are boarding and the MDR is closed for lunch.

Thank,

What you say maybe true but they do try to keep you out of the MDR on embarkation day. If you ask anyone if the MDR is open they always tell you to go to the HC.

Tony

Thank,

What you say maybe true but they do try to keep you out of the MDR on embarkation day. If you ask anyone if the MDR is open they always tell you to go to the HC.

Tony

The difference here is that they actually checked the Patter and there was no MDR listed as open that day.

Question: Does the rowboat have lunch in MDR on embarkation day or is everybody just automatically directed to the lounge? :confused:

The difference here is that they actually checked the Patter and there was no MDR listed as open that day.

Question: Does the rowboat have lunch in MDR on embarkation day or is everybody just automatically directed to the lounge? :confused:

Thrak,

You got this one right!! They go right to lounge. You know the drinks :whiskey-glass::tropical-drink::wine-glass: are all free on the Rowboat. :D I know you would be leading the way hahahaha. This go for you to FunforGin LOL.

The Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

Thank,

Tony

Not true, Tony. It wasn't in the Patter on the Golden cruise we did and the MDRs were all shut.

Correct, wasn't in Princess Patter and we also went to the main dining rooms - all doors firmly closed:( I've been wondering if this was just a Golden Princess thing - in other words when we board her again on 3rd January do we make a mad dash to HC before everyone else then scurry away to our room before the hoards arrive?

I would dearly love to have a leisurely quiet lunch in the main dining room instead:)

OzKiwiJJ, I boarded that repo cruise you were on in Melbourne and no, no dining room open on embarkation day. But we boarded very late due to a deep clean and sanitise of the ship. Was also on FunforGin's NZ cruise last March and nope, no dining room open for lunch on embarkation day on that cruise either. To be frank, I was a bit peeved actually. I love my boarding day lunch in the dining room. Gets me nicely in the mood for a fun cruise.

Am sailing on the Golden again next year ... hoping the MDR will be serving lunch on boarding day. If not I'll be asking why not?

I can understand them not having the MDR open in Melbourne after the deep cleanse delayed boarding but we boarded around 12 noon in Sydney and it was still shut. :mad:

We did a PNG cruise on Sun last September that was sold as two cruises: Brisbane to Brisbane and Sydney to Sydney. The ship came down to Sydney from Brisbane. The MDR was open on the Sydney boarding day on that cruise.

Maybe the F&B Manager that was on Golden at that time was cutting corners!

There are a few CCers on Golden at the moment, doing the Hawaii cruise. Some boarded in Sydney and some in Brisbane. It would be interesting to hear from them. This is where PMs would come in very useful!

It might be a good idea to post this in the Aus/NZ forum - if any of those people are checking CC they are most likely to look there first, also the post will stay on the first page longer on that forum.

Correct, wasn't in Princess Patter and we also went to the main dining rooms - all doors firmly closed:( I've been wondering if this was just a Golden Princess thing - in other words when we board her again on 3rd January do we make a mad dash to HC before everyone else then scurry away to our room before the hoards arrive?

I would dearly love to have a leisurely quiet lunch in the main dining room instead:)

My friend, FunforGin,

Please don't do it!! We may never see you again. There are about 1,000 passengers thinking of doing the same thing. You may get caught in the stampede never to be seen again. :D :D. I'll miss you:halo:.

Tony

Aye aye El Capitano Tony - I shall brave the HC and then beat a rapid retreat to our fabulous aft suite and lol around on the deck all avo until muster drill.............hmmmmm.......is it January yet?! :)

Good luck I hope you make it :). Have a great cruise!!!

Tony

To add to the confusion we did the circle pacific cruise on the Golden in May this year and the main dining room was not open on embarkation days on any of the three segments, and was also closed on port days which left only the horizon court deck outlets (hamburgers and pizza) or the international cafe for lunch options on those days.

To add to the confusion we did the circle pacific cruise on the Golden in May this year and the main dining room was not open on embarkation days on any of the three segments, and was also closed on port days which left only the horizon court deck outlets (hamburgers and pizza) or the international cafe for lunch options on those days.

That's interesting. I expect the MDR to be closed on port days, that's common on most cruise ships, but it's annoying that it isn't open on embarkation days. I'm not sure who controls that - the Food & Beverage Manager, the Maitre D', or what. Very annoying, indeed.

Assuming the MDR is open for lunch, make sure you go to the correct door. I've heard of non-Club Class passengers going to the CC entrance and getting turned away with instructions to the buffet, even though the entrance just across the ship was open to all passengers 1200-1330.