How much do your kids spend on board?

Daphne'sMom

Swing and a miss. If anything, the current generation has had to work a lot harder to get the things that age 50+ people took for granted. You can't pay for college with a summer job like you used to. Everything is more expensive, and good jobs are increasingly demanding of more skills and experience. There are unpaid internships that require 2 years experience from applicants. I saw a job listing that required 7+ years of experience with a programming language that has only existed for 5 years. The days of walking into a business in a nice suit with your resume and getting a job are gone. The days of moving out as soon as you turn 18 are gone, because it's just not possible under most circumstances to afford it.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's older people calling millennials spoiled/entitled who have absolutely no idea what it's like to get a job and an education for a young person these days.

Hate to burst your bubble but there many opportunities for kids to make great money without college. It takes hard work and thinking outside of the box, but the rewards can be better than working for corporate America.

My step daughter and her husband own their own very successful business and a fast food franchise. They have two sons - one is doing well and the other is clueless, but neither one of them is interested in taking over the family business - a fast track to financial security. The clueless one is one of those kids who had everything given to him. It's sad.

And if you want to talk about college, I see kids going to school without a clear goal for the future. Do they do their research on what jobs will be in high demand once they graduate? Heck no, they just want to go to college and figure out things along the way while racking up horrendous student debts. And then they head off for corporate America............. (And that's where I work, so I see it all the time)

I would like to add that in no way did I intend to be offensive to those people who go to college with a calling or passion for a job that will never be high paying. I realize for some it's not always about money.

You can make money without going to college, but it's pounded into kids' heads from grade school that college is the key to their future and if they don't go they'll be screwing up for life. As for starting your own business...do you have any idea what the success ratio of new businesses is? Especially restaurants? Two out of three new restaurants fail in the first five years. Just because it worked out for your family doesn't mean it's sound advice for everyone. To say nothing of the fact that you need money to make money—if you're starting with nothing you can't just buy a restaurant without going into enormous debt to make it happen.

But maybe you're right. Maybe instead of things working differently than they did decades ago, tens of millions of young people are just lazy, entitled idiots who could have been guaranteed success if they had just listen to some quick advice from their mom.

Swing and a miss. If anything, the current generation has had to work a lot harder to get the things that age 50+ people took for granted. You can't pay for college with a summer job like you used to. Everything is more expensive, and good jobs are increasingly demanding of more skills and experience. There are unpaid internships that require 2 years experience from applicants. I saw a job listing that required 7+ years of experience with a programming language that has only existed for 5 years. The days of walking into a business in a nice suit with your resume and getting a job are gone. The days of moving out as soon as you turn 18 are gone, because it's just not possible under most circumstances to afford it.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's older people calling millennials spoiled/entitled who have absolutely no idea what it's like to get a job and an education for a young person these days.

I am going to agree, and disagree. In general, older people always feel like the next generation have it easier. It's annoying hearing it from older people, and I try not to do it to others. It's not even just a generational thing, the grass is just greener on the other side of the fence much of the time. There are millennials who work hard, study hard, and do a lot with their lives. College is definitely more expensive then it ever was, and more people are going (which drives up demand and prices even more). Even leaving out those whose parents pay for college, there are expenses, and many people need to take hefty loans out and graduate with big debts they'll need to pay off for a long time.

However, you're doing the same thing. You have no idea what a 50+ person went through to get a job. There was a big recession during the late 70s-80s as well. It's not like there were just 2 recessions in history. In fact, the highest unemployment rate since the great depression was over 10%, and it happened in 1983. Not in the 2000s. Right when people in their 50s were trying to find work. The years around that were just as bad as anything you found in your lifetime, and the recession while not as steep from top to bottom lasted longer. You didn't walk in with a suit and get a job, you just didn't get one. Things are more expensive now, it's called inflation. Salaries are higher too, it balances out. Unpaid internship have been around forever, in fact they're rarer now as they were found illegal in many cases recently. So you have less of them now. Jobs require more skills, because there are more high skilled jobs. It's the low skilled-good pay jobs that have gone down. The tech industry has opened up many more high skilled jobs to people then there were before, with easier access to them. You need those skills though. My wife's friend has a son who majored in Viking Studies in college (and he's not Norwegian). He can't get a job...go figure! Another is an art major who doesn't want to be an artist or work in a museum. No surprise she doesn't have a job either. Yes, you can move out at 18, you are just not going to live the same lifestyle you did under your parents. That hasn't changed in history either, you're going to live sparse until you build up your income to afford better things, like your parents probably did.

That doesn't mean some things aren't tough. And doesn't mean Millenials are lazy and don't want to do things. Many of them work hard and do. Just that it isn't as green on our side of the fence either.

I think people are being too cut and dried with their examples. Yes, it may not be as straight forward in the job market as it once was, but there are also benefits that the current generation experiences that weren't available to older folks.

Money is a touchy subject and one that's fraught with peril - although there are a lot of experts out there, there's not a clear path to financial success.

Last year we did a post secondary recruitment (people who were a year or two finished university). We hired 30 people and got a wide range of employees - a few who will go far in our organization, lots of average performers and 3 who needed performance improvement plans (one who ultimately was fired and one who basically ended up going on medical leave instead of being fired). I think it is a fair representation of any generation.

Yes, you can move out at 18, you are just not going to live the same lifestyle you did under your parents.

I don't have time to respond to the whole post right now so I will just respond to this bit for now. It was absolutely not possible under any circumstances for me to move out when I was 18. Same lifestyle or not. I'm 24 now and the only reason I can afford to live on my own now is because I can split the rent on a 1 bedroom apartment with my boyfriend, and I am making well above minimum wage. The majority of 18 year olds cannot support themselves. Working 80 hours a week maybe, but that's such an unrealistic expectation.

I don't have time to respond to the whole post right now so I will just respond to this bit for now. It was absolutely not possible under any circumstances for me to move out when I was 18. Same lifestyle or not. I'm 24 now and the only reason I can afford to live on my own now is because I can split the rent on a 1 bedroom apartment with my boyfriend, and I am making well above minimum wage. The majority of 18 year olds cannot support themselves. Working 80 hours a week maybe, but that's such an unrealistic expectation.

Millions of people who get paid minimum wage can afford to live away from their parents, why couldn't an 18 year old?

This may not be very helpful, but our kids spend zero on board. We don't give spending privledges. There is plenty to eat, activities to participate in that we don't feel it's necessary. We do buy the bottomless bubbles. But that's it. Our boys started cruising at 12 and 14 and are now 16 and 18

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Millions of people who get paid minimum wage can afford to live away from their parents, why couldn't an 18 year old?

They could...they just need to prioritize their wants with their needs. I'm watching my DD do it right now at 20. DS moved out last year at 22 after graduating from college with a degree in Journalism/PR. Talk about a tough field to get into. But get into it he did. He had an unpaid internship for 2 years writing Detroit Red Wing opinion pieces for an internet site and then got a job with the campus newspaper his senior year. Within a month of graduating he found a job in his desired field doing what he wanted to do...Sports Writer. The only problem was it was 16 hours away in ND. He packed up his bags and took the job. He got his own 1 bedroom apartment that he furnished himself. He also got a new vehicle that we purchased but he is paying us back with interest. He hasn't missed a payment. He's not making big bucks, but he is getting experience in a job he loves and he is putting money away in his savings account. It take is ambition, drive, and the will to be independent. It can be done.

I made $4 an hour in my first job out of college in 1988. I didn't have student debt as my school was paid by scholarships and pell grants and my MBA was paid for by that first employer who paid me that $4 an hour. I was way under paid but I needed experience in my field and that was the only way I was going to get it because the jobs weren't there if you didn't have experience. Almost all of us have paid our dues in one way or another. My salary in now in the 6 digits. I believe I have instilled this work ethic and drive in my kids as well. Many people, kids and adults alike, are missing this key ingredient to success....and that is just sad.

Wow I am impressed by all of the professional child psychologists on here with the ability to tell a child's entire future and personality due to how much money they spend on a cruise! OP, apparently the answer is anywhere from 0-$200. And you better make the right choice or else your kid will not live a successful life!

Just like in life, you can do it as cheaply as you want or spent as much as you want. Arcade adds up quickly! Easily 10 to 20 a day if you play much. Build a Bear is fun...$25 for the bear, $6 for the Carnival tshirt! Candy store is fun, easy to spend $10 if you walk in. Shakes, frozen fruity drinks extra. Tshirts are cute...$10 each. They sold Mexico toys/souvenigrs on the ship when we finished Cozumel. Blow up Carnival boat is adorable and is $8 in the gift shop! So you could spend zero and enjoy free ice cream or you could spend hundreds if you choose!

Whenever a thread like this comes up, my answer is always the same - Zero. Four cruises so far with number five coming up in a week and they haven't spent a dime. As to milkshakes, my kids (DD12 and DS9) would say that they have unlimited ice cream on Lido whenever they want it so there's no reason for milkshakes. They would find the arcade useless since they have their tablets with them in the cabin and play computer games on their computer when they're home anyway. Soda - we bring on a 12 pack for each. And so on . . . .

My kids simply appreciate the fact that they get to go on a cruise each summer. They're perfectly happy sticking with everything that's already included.

But, of course, to each his own. :)

My kids order cartons of milk (plain and chocolate) and take the milk up to lido and make milkshakes at the table. They also make rootbeer floats from the soda options with their bubbles card.

Wow I am impressed by all of the professional child psychologists on here with the ability to tell a child's entire future and personality due to how much money they spend on a cruise! OP, apparently the answer is anywhere from 0-$200. And you better make the right choice or else your kid will not live a successful life!

Nope, I don't think any of us are doing that - we are simply expressing opinions, most of which are based on our own life experiences. Both sides feel strongly about it and fortunately, the debate has remained civil.

Personally I enjoy discussions with people who don't agree with me - I'm more than willing to change my point of view if someone makes a good argument.

You can make money without going to college, but it's pounded into kids' heads from grade school that college is the key to their future and if they don't go they'll be screwing up for life. As for starting your own business...do you have any idea what the success ratio of new businesses is? Especially restaurants? Two out of three new restaurants fail in the first five years. Just because it worked out for your family doesn't mean it's sound advice for everyone. To say nothing of the fact that you need money to make money—if you're starting with nothing you can't just buy a restaurant without going into enormous debt to make it happen.

But maybe you're right. Maybe instead of things working differently than they did decades ago, tens of millions of young people are just lazy, entitled idiots who could have been guaranteed success if they had just listen to some quick advice from their mom.

I never said someone should go into the restaurant business - my step daughters business is already established and thriving - either son could take over the business, but aren't interested.

Honestly, there are so many opportunities out there - especially for men, and that is only because some work is too physical for women. My son flips houses and deals with more dead beat labor than you can imagine. He laughs and says if he ever wants to do something else he'll do interior painting because he could still make really good money since he would do a great job and actually show up. I have a friend who just paid $10k to have her 1,500 sq foot condo painted in less than 2 weeks. Pretty good money, IMHO. My stepson started his own lawn care business with a minimal investment years ago and is also doing quite well. Not everyone is suited to work for themselves, but not everyone is college material either.

Well, I can't find programmers even at 5000 euro (5700 dollar)/month. None.

Learn to code, and go east, young man!

LOL...tell this to my 53 yr husband that still works 5 -12 hr NIGHT (60 hrs WK) shifts (medical field), has a family (lots of RESPONSIBILITY) and plus volunteers 2x a month at the same hospital in the peds neuro unit during the day. I also work of course, run the household and make all the pick ups and drops off for school (DS) and marching band practices and competitions out of town (and this does not include any of the numerous times we needed to take on an extra part time position just to make ends meet during a harder time or one of us was back in school at different times over the years).

Honey, you do what you need to do in life and at 24 you just have NO idea what you will need to do to make it. Everyone is just trying to offer some wisdom and doing it with a lot of experience in making it, none of us were handed a job, all had to make our place in our fields and build up experience doing that. LOL

Edited by Drazil65

Nope, I don't think any of us are doing that - we are simply expressing opinions, most of which are based on our own life experiences. Both sides feel strongly about it and fortunately, the debate has remained civil.

Personally I enjoy discussions with people who don't agree with me - I'm more than willing to change my point of view if someone makes a good argument.

I agree mek. The OP asked "How much money do your kids spend on board?" As seen from this thread the answer varies due mainly to the kids involved and the beliefs of the parents on how and when to teach their children about being financially responsible. In a thread like this you will get posters answering the OP's questions and backing up their answer based on their beliefs. Many times those beliefs are also backed up with experience from raising their own kids or from their experience as a child and having experienced what the OP is asking about. No ones opinion is absolutely right or wrong....but I personally would rather listen to advice from someone with an opinion based on a successful or even unsuccessful experience on the question asked than from someone just spouting out their opinion with nothing to back it up but their belief. In a case like this the child involved makes a big difference in the advice taken. What works for one child may not work for another or may need a little tweaking. Hearing the experiences of different people with different children helps in understanding what may work best for the child you are asking about. IMHO anyways.

LOL...tell this to my 53 yr husband that still works 5 -12 hr NIGHT (60 hrs WK) shifts (medical field), has a family (lots of RESPONSIBILITY) and plus volunteers 2x a month at the same hospital in the peds neuro unit during the day. I also work of course, run the household and make all the pick ups and drops off for school (DS) and marching band practices and competitions out of town (and this does not include any of the numerous times we needed to take on an extra part time position just to make ends meet during a harder time or one of us was back in school at different times over the years).

Honey, you do what you need to do in life and at 24 you just have NO idea what you will need to do to make it. Everyone is just trying to offer some wisdom and doing it with a lot of experience in making it, none of us were handed a job, all had to make our place in our fields and build up experience doing that. LOL

You are so right Drazil. I so wish young people, and even older people, would listen to this type of advice. I have rarely seen where the person who plays the victim to their circumstances succeeds. We all have our trials and troubles. It is the people who go out and do something about changing their circumstances and not crying about them that succeed in life. I'm not talking just monetarily but emotionally and physically as well.

I have a cousin who just spent over a year in the hospital after having dissected aorta. He almost died multiple times and had multiple surgeries. He came out of the hospital with both legs amputated and in a wheel chair. He has 2 daughters, 4 and 7. He is surviving and thriving because he refused to play the victim of his circumstances. He is back to work as a graphic designer from home and is driving a specially adapted car, 5 months after leaving the hospital. I went through 7 jobs since college before I found the one I love and have been at for 14 year now. But even during that time where I was searching for the right job, I was never out of work for more than a week. I refused to play the victim of my circumstances. I had a cousin die this past year from the same type of brain cancer John McCain has. She was 47 with 3 kids in college. She showed us all what faith, hope, and courage looked like. She fought her disease until the end and even then she donated her body to cancer research to continue that fight. She refused to play a victim of her circumstances but lived her life to the fullest extent possible.

I've also seen many family members and others give in to the victim mentality and do nothing but complain about their issues and life and let themselves be a victim. My Dad and brother did that. Both died of cardiomyopathies at the age of 59 and 39 respectively. Both played the victim card, went on disability and did nothing to improve their lifestyle and health. I had the same cardiomyopathy when my DD was born 20 years ago. Mine was brought on by my pregnancy, with help from heredity. I was told I had a 1/3rd chance of getting better, 1/3rd chance of staying the same on medications, and 1/3rd chance of needing a heart transplant or dying. I listen to the doctor, did as they told me to, improved my life style, went back to work and refused to become a victim to that disease. I am a survivor. No one else can fix your problems if you are not willing to try to fix them yourself. Sometimes your problems can't be fixed....but how you deal with them and how you let them affect you is up to you and no one else. People can come along and help you (or try to help you) financially, physically, and/or emotionally, but that doesn't help a victim if they are determined to remain a victim.

Sorry. I'll get off my soap box. This was off topic but it is hard to see people respond to posts with that victim mentality without wanting to wake them up to what life can offer if they could only get rid of being a victim and strive to be a survivor.