Lanai cabins on Rotterdam

rapata

We are currently in an OV on Deck 2, forward for 14 day S Caribbean in January and thinking of upgrading to a lanai cabin. Understand they have doors that open on to Promenade deck and there are reserved deck chairs. How private are the cabins when doors are closed during the day.... would we have to keep curtains closed?

Any other opinions, pros and cons of these cabins are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

We spent 42 days in a Lanai on Rotterdam last Oct/Nov and loved it. The cabin is very private during the day and you can't see in the glass. We kept our's open every day. I dressed in the cabin with the curtains open and never saw anyone looking shocked at me! Now at night we kept the curtains closed as we would with any cabin. I will tell you we loved the lanai cabin much better than the balcony we had in the cruise before..... It is just so convenient to the outside. ON a balcony you need to look around the partitions (if your neighbors are not sitting there) to see forward or aft. In a Lanai when you are sitting out you can look forward and aft and take pictures without leaning past the partitions to get a good shot. There are two reserved lounge chairs and we sat on them in the morning with our coffees. Then when we were ready to do our walk we got up and went around the promenade. As you can tell we just loved that lanai cabin!

Good luck and enjoy!!

Thank you both for the response and link to the photos. It does sound very convenient being able to just step out and be on the promenade. Did you ever find the reserved seating being moved or taken by other passengers?

We were upgraded to a Lanai on our recent cruise. It was such a nice surprise. Do keep your curtains closed in the evening. The contrast of the interior lighting when it is darker outside eliminates the privacy that you enjoy during daylight hours. Our lanai was the last one and had a non lanai cabin next to us. Our non lanai neighbors saw fit to help themselves to our deck chairs on many occasions. I didn't find a good solution to this problem and did not wish to confront them myself.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I love the Lanais so much that I have booked a brand new Lanai on the Amsterdam for 82 days. As mentioned above, the convenience and panoramic view are worth the price. and I have never had a problem with deck chair "squatters." Privacy is never much of an issue for me, as I live in an urban condo with walls of windows.

One drawback for light sleepers: You WILL hear the crew cleaning doors and windows, hosing the deck, and resetting deck chairs at around 5 AM every morning. Since I am both a sound sleeper and an early riser, it never bothered me.

Thank you both for the response and link to the photos. It does sound very convenient being able to just step out and be on the promenade. Did you ever find the reserved seating being moved or taken by other passengers?

No we never had a problem with others using our chairs. We had one of the middle Lanais. Good luck. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.....

I was in a Lanai on our recent Rotterdam cruise and the hosts really enjoyed it.

They had no problem leaving curtains open during the day, but did close them at night.