Post Cruise Alaska DIY land

mkcoombe

Looking for some advice on DIY land tour from Whittier/Anchorage in mid June. We are thinking about heading out to Denali for a couple of days and then off to Fairbanks for a return flight home to the east coast. After doing some research, I'm not sure if its best to take the Alaska Railroad to Denali and then try to make our way around or rent a car in Anchorage and journey there stopping at our leisure along the way. I was leaning toward the rental car route but I have to get over the sticker shock of all the added fees and taxes. McKinley Creekside cabins seems like a decent place to stay for a few nights near the park, but not sure what it would be like getting to Denali and back if we don't have a rental car. We would appreciate any feedback and/or ideas along the way. We will be cruising on the Golden Princess from Vancouver to Whittier but I would like to avoid the Princess related transportation/lodging unless that is the best way to go. Thanks

I was leaning toward the rental car route but I have to get over the sticker shock of all the added fees and taxes.

I'm guessing you are planning for 2018. Can you make reservations this early? I know typically the best rental car prices are in October/November. You can also make a reservation (as long as you don't have to enter payment) and then check back for price drops. I think you'll probably find the car will be cheaper than train tickets and gives you the freedom to find cheaper lodging and dining options. Between Anchorage and Denali, I personally recommend a rental car.

Edited to add: yes, there's a drop-off fee for renting in Anchorage and returning in Fairbanks... I still prefer the car.

to avoid the high one-way rental cost, you could take a bus, transfer or train to Anc, then pick up a RT rental.

As of 2 weeks ago a car from the Enterprise office on Int;l Airport Rd was $35 a day for June 2018.

Either skip Fairbanks or add a couple of days.

to avoid the high one-way rental cost, you could take a bus, transfer or train to Anc, then pick up a RT rental.

As of 2 weeks ago a car from the Enterprise office on Int;l Airport Rd was $35 a day for June 2018.

Either skip Fairbanks or add a couple of days.

Thanks, I'll keep checking back to see if the prices drop again.

I'm guessing you are planning for 2018. Can you make reservations this early? I know typically the best rental car prices are in October/November. You can also make a reservation (as long as you don't have to enter payment) and then check back for price drops. I think you'll probably find the car will be cheaper than train tickets and gives you the freedom to find cheaper lodging and dining options. Between Anchorage and Denali, I personally recommend a rental car.

Edited to add: yes, there's a drop-off fee for renting in Anchorage and returning in Fairbanks... I still prefer the car.

Thanks for the advice! I will check back this fall to see if the rates dropped. I was just looking now to get an idea of my budget for the trip. As of right now the rental car is more than Gold class service on the Denali Star route from Anchorage to Denali, then from Denali to Fairbanks combined. I have been pricing a rental car for 6 days (Saturday until Thursday)

Thanks, I'll keep checking back to see if the prices drop again.

RT rentals don't have the large add-on fees. The rental is $35 a day and the extra fees/taxes for 4 days are only $25.

Alaska Cruise Transportation (ACT) is $35pp, leaves Whittier at 8.45am and arrives at the airport at 10:30am. You could be at Denali in time for dinner!

Just a suggestion if you decide to do the RT Anchorage rental W/ Enterprise: If you can pick up and drop off at a non-airport location, its' cheaper. I had a reservation for 6/6/2018 - 6/9/2018 picking up at the Spenard location and dropping off at the airport. I was being charged $35 drop fee plus the taxes were higher. i just changed to dropping off at the South Anchorage location, which is down the street from the hotel we are staying 6/9, and the price went down $41! So I got a full size car for Wed AM through Sat night for $173.03 including all taxes and fees.

Looking for some advice on DIY land tour from Whittier/Anchorage in mid June. We are thinking about heading out to Denali for a couple of days and then off to Fairbanks for a return flight home to the east coast. After doing some research, I'm not sure if its best to take the Alaska Railroad to Denali and then try to make our way around or rent a car in Anchorage and journey there stopping at our leisure along the way. I was leaning toward the rental car route but I have to get over the sticker shock of all the added fees and taxes. McKinley Creekside cabins seems like a decent place to stay for a few nights near the park, but not sure what it would be like getting to Denali and back if we don't have a rental car. We would appreciate any feedback and/or ideas along the way. We will be cruising on the Golden Princess from Vancouver to Whittier but I would like to avoid the Princess related transportation/lodging unless that is the best way to go. Thanks

I am in the planning stages myself for next June and booked McKinley Creekside cabin (the Carlo guest family cabin). We end in Seward and will take a bus to Anchorage airport where we will rent a car, stop at Talkteena for lunch, stop at Wasilla for groceries and get to Denali between 5 and 6 for dinner. I actually thought that was the most cost effective way to do this. I think one of the keys is the car rental. Having AAA and becoming a Hertz member will save $hundreds. AAA is cheap and good to have and becoming a member of Hertz is free.

Bus for four from Seward to Anchorage: $200

Nissan Quest Minivan $45 per day: $200 (three days for us)

Gas (448 roundtrip miles - round to 500 at 20 MPG at $2.50: $70

Lodging at McKinley Creekside (paying more for nice cabin: $1,000

That's $1,500 for us before excursions or $375 per person. We aren't doing this to save money, but the rail tours and cruise tours are much more.

Saw this on a google for you and it would certainly keep your costs down:

Whittier to Anchorage Bus for Princess Ship passengers:

• Pick up at Princess cruise ship 8:45AM.
  • Longest tunnel in North America.
  • Turnagain Arm – (drive by) dall sheep, beluga whales.
  • Drop off at Anchorage Airport at 10:30AM.
  • $35.00 per person.

We have a similar airport drop off time. We figure to get in and out of Hertz in 30 minutes and on our way. We plan to stop in Talkeetna for a 90 minute lunch break and then again in Wasilla for groceries. That will get us to Creekside Cabins between 5:00 and 6:30 for check in and dinner. Not sure if that's what you want to do, but it's our plan. Now, just need to figure out excursions for the next couple of days.

Edited by hubofhockey

My TIME is more valuable than money. :) Sometimes, it;s of significant benefit, to pay higher costs. Especially with such a short time.

A car rental gives a better use of time and the ability to add a lot more to your visit.

I do find that Hubo's post, is planning for the ideal, which likely won't happen. . Hopefully they have added cushion time. It is unrealistic to have such tight timing. I'd also suggest you average $3 gal for gas, if planning with a tight budget.

My TIME is more valuable than money. :) Sometimes, it;s of significant benefit, to pay higher costs. Especially with such a short time.

A car rental gives a better use of time and the ability to add a lot more to your visit.

I do find that Hubo's post, is planning for the ideal, which likely won't happen. . Hopefully they have added cushion time. It is unrealistic to have such tight timing. I'd also suggest you average $3 gal for gas, if planning with a tight budget.

I asked the people at McKinley Creekside to help with estimating my arrival. They thought 5 pm would be ideal, but to expect 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm.

We should leave Hertz with car by 11 for 2 hour 10 minute drive to Talkeetna for lunch, arriving at 1:15. We'll leave at 2:15 pm.

It's a 2 hour 20 drive to McKinley Creekside Cabins from Talkeetna. That would have us in at 4:35 pm. But we will stop for groceries in Wasilla and add 30 minutes there. That would have us in at 5:05. However, the people at the hotel said to leave another hour for stops, etc and expect to be there closer to 6 pm. If we get in by 7:00 pm, that's great too and gives us two hours rather than one of slack. I think OP has the exact same situation, arriving at the final port and over two hours travel to Anchorage. The bus is the way to go to eliminate a couple hours of driving and to make the car rental much cheaper. OP's bus is only $35 per person, which is nice too. As far as gas goes, if you go to $3 per gallon, the difference is all of $11.

I feel much better about my plan after running it by Monika at Creekside Cabins.

I asked the people at McKinley Creekside to help with estimating my arrival. They thought 5 pm would be ideal, but to expect 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm.

We should leave Hertz with car by 11 for 2 hour 10 minute drive to Talkeetna for lunch, arriving at 1:15. We'll leave at 2:15 pm.

It's a 2 hour 20 drive to McKinley Creekside Cabins from Talkeetna. That would have us in at 4:35 pm. But we will stop for groceries in Wasilla and add 30 minutes there. That would have us in at 5:05. However, the people at the hotel said to leave another hour for stops, etc and expect to be there closer to 6 pm. If we get in by 7:00 pm, that's great too and gives us two hours rather than one of slack. I think OP has the exact same situation, arriving at the final port and over two hours travel to Anchorage. The bus is the way to go to eliminate a couple hours of driving and to make the car rental much cheaper. OP's bus is only $35 per person, which is nice too. As far as gas goes, if you go to $3 per gallon, the difference is all of $11.

I feel much better about my plan after running it by Monika at Creekside Cabins.

There are many options, and getting to Anchorage fast and cheap isn't the answer for everyone. This is a significant benefit to take advantage of when you are already there.

Your information will be more valuable when you return. I drive in mainland Alaska- every year, recent was a 3 week trip so I do have a lot of factual driving times that I have experienced, and will caution people with plans like yours to not count on it being realistic.

I'd suggest planning on arriving later, which you say is ok. Car pick ups can have extensive lines, you WILL run into Construction delays, Talkeetna dining isn't fast either. From Talkeetna to the park entrance is at least 3 hours+. And do you really want to be on a marathon drive?

I suggest not estimating over 40mph, which offers a cushion to pull over.

We took a bit more pessimistic approach. By renting in Seward even though it was more, we get right on to our own adventure. We plan to stop before Talkeetna on the first day, leaving us a modest drive the next day with time to explore as we go. Than we plan to spend 2 nights in Healy before returning to Anchorage for a late night flight home.

But i always encourage everyone to do their research and make their own plans as it always seems to work out best...

Just a suggestion if you decide to do the RT Anchorage rental W/ Enterprise: If you can pick up and drop off at a non-airport location, its' cheaper. I had a reservation for 6/6/2018 - 6/9/2018 picking up at the Spenard location and dropping off at the airport. I was being charged $35 drop fee plus the taxes were higher. i just changed to dropping off at the South Anchorage location, which is down the street from the hotel we are staying 6/9, and the price went down $41! So I got a full size car for Wed AM through Sat night for $173.03 including all taxes and fees.

Thanks,

Maybe I'll look into RT back to Anchorage, or just eat the one way drop off fees and venture further...

We took a bit more pessimistic approach. By renting in Seward even though it was more, we get right on to our own adventure. We plan to stop before Talkeetna on the first day, leaving us a modest drive the next day with time to explore as we go. Than we plan to spend 2 nights in Healy before returning to Anchorage for a late night flight home.

But i always encourage everyone to do their research and make their own plans as it always seems to work out best...

Thanks for sharing your ideas/plans...much appreciated!

Great feedback...Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your input and planning!

The one way rates from Seward to Anchorage through Hertz for June 2018 is running $169/$189 per day for mid/full size and nearly double that per day for a Fairbanks drop. Anchorage round trip was $50 and up on recent checks. But there 4 of us which makes it easier to justify the cost vs other modes

This is similar to what I was finding on one way rentals from Anchorage to Fairbanks on a weekly rental

• 3 weeks later...