Golf in San Juan

nolagirljh

How long are you going to be in town? While there's no course in Sam Juan, there are a couple in the vicinity. Closest one is Rio Bayamon golf course. It's about 30 minutes from SJ (depending on traffic). It's an 18 hole municipal course, fairly well kept and it's about $45 dollars to play, cart included. It's a bit challenging since it's in a windy area and all fairways are narrow. The more "full size" courses are about an hour to just over an hour away in Rio Grande. Three great courses: St Regis Bahia, Coco Beach resort (Formerly known as Trump International) and at the Westin Rio Mar. To the eastern side about the same distance away from SJ you have the Dorado Beach course. These 4 properties are top notch (the one at Coco Beach hosts the PGA Puerto Rico Open) and all 4 have two 18-hole courses to choose from but all 4 properties have hotels in the upper echelon of most budgets. On the other hand, all are easily accessible from SJ if you rent a car.

The Westin Rio Mar is now a Wyndham. But, I did stay there years ago when it was a Westin and I throughly enjoyed it. I played golf on both courses there. Broke 100 for the first time on the Ocean Course (designed by the Fazio brothers), but I had the most fun on the River Course (designed by Greg Norman).

I stayed last Spring at the St. Regis Bahia Beach. An excellent resort. But, I felt a bit smothered by all the staff always asking me if I was OK or if I needed anything. My Butler actually chastised me one day because he couldn't find me (I was on the beach) and he couldn't text me because I didn't have a cell phone! I didn't play golf there. But, the clubhouse had a great restaurant - ate there 3 nights!!!

• 11 months later...

El Conquistador is an excellent golf course but hardly the #1 course near San Juan. There are three top notch courses 2/3 of the way to El Conquistador in Rio Grande. One is the Coco Beach Resort's courses, the one located at the St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, which is actually where the annual PGA Puerto Rico Open takes place and the two at Rio Mar. Yes, El Conquistador is unique due to its huge elevation changes and elevated tee's and the surroundings are beautifully kept. But it's hardly the best near San Juan. Did I mention that Dorado also has a great course about 30-40 minutes from SJ but to the west??

We stayed at the Hyatt Dorado last August. My husband played a couple courses in the little Resort area there. And, the year prior we stayed at Las Casitas Villas, and my hubby played the course at the Conquistador. All 3 were fantastic! BUT, I know the Hyatt Dorado is still closed. The Conq is open, I'd check to see if the Course is open. Have a great game wherever you choose. :D

• 1 month later...

With normal traffic it should be a pretty straight forward drive of about 20-25 minutes. That golf course is a municipal course but they tend to keep it in playable conditions. I play it a couple of times a year (I live a bit far from it). The course is tricky, narrow, sometimes windy and sometimes challenging with elevation chances, over water shots and even a big tree basically in the middle of a short par 4 hole.

With normal traffic it should be a pretty straight forward drive of about 20-25 minutes. That golf course is a municipal course but they tend to keep it in playable conditions. I play it a couple of times a year (I live a bit far from it). The course is tricky, narrow, sometimes windy and sometimes challenging with elevation chances, over water shots and even a big tree basically in the middle of a short par 4 hole.

Thank you! I was able to get in touch with someone from the pro shop who said he can set up a tee time for the day we are going to be there. Hoping it all works out!

Thank you! I was able to get in touch with someone from the pro shop who said he can set up a tee time for the day we are going to be there. Hoping it all works out!

Please come back and give me your feed back. I play horrible on that course! Well...I play horrible in all of them but that one beats me up in a special kind of way... LOL.

• 1 month later...
On September 14, 2018 at 9:58 PM, imluvncruzn said:

Were you able to play this course?  My husband is interested in this on our stop if there's enough time.  Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
On September 14, 2018 at 9:58 PM, imluvncruzn said:

Were you able to play this course?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:57 PM, imluvncruzn said:

We had to change our cruise date so won't be there until May!  

My family was able to play Rio Bayamon last week.  Was a great course for the price. We had checked into another one and they wanted $300 for 18 holes so this one was a steal