UK upgrade offers

KeithJenner

Just got my upgrade offers this morning trhough normal email, we are on the on the escape oct 17, booked through uk travel agent. So pleased about this as only booked in an inside to secure the holiday with a view to upgrade at a later date but prices have gone upwards crazy. We were offered an upgrade to outside family stateroom for £160 p/p top bid which was rated excellent, or balcony for £430 p/p top bid. which I bid £215 p/p which was rated good.

Now eagerly waiting to see if I get lucky !!!!!!!

Are you on the 14th Oct cruise (I'm just guessing based on the date you got the upgrade email)? If so have you joined our roll call? I don't remember seeing you on there, thought I was the only Brit!

I also was surprised to recieve the upgrade bid email yesterday, as I also thought UK cruises didn't qualify. We were never allowed to use the upgrade lines in the past, so this is good news! I think we do recieve this later than US cruisers, as their final payment date is earlier. I recieved the email as soon as we got under the UK 60 day final payment date, so I'm assuming this date has something to do with it!

Minimum bids for me are £315pp into the Haven... of course I'm tempted, but then again I am happy with our angled balcony so think I'll stick there. We haven't had a balcony before so I will be easily pleased by just having one!

I think we do recieve this later than US cruisers, as their final payment date is earlier. I recieved the email as soon as we got under the UK 60 day final payment date, so I'm assuming this date has something to do with it!

From what I can tell, you got the email yesterday because yesterday was when the upgrade scheme came to the UK. I also got mine yesterday and we sail on Saturday.

I think they just sent to everyone who would have received them by now.

From what I can tell, you got the email yesterday because yesterday was when the upgrade scheme came to the UK. I also got mine yesterday and we sail on Saturday.

I think they just sent to everyone who would have received them by now.

Ahh. I guess a co-incidence that it was also the day after final payment date for me!

Hi squish, yes we're on the roll call, doing back to back 14th and 21st with my wife and 2 boys age 16 and 11, from southampton. have had a few posts on here getting some tips etc, arriving fort lauderdale Thurs before cruise, love all the reviews and tips on here, read your epic review thought it was very good, best of luck and congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon !!!!

Hi squish, yes we're on the roll call, doing back to back 14th and 21st with my wife and 2 boys age 16 and 11, from southampton. have had a few posts on here getting some tips etc, arriving fort lauderdale Thurs before cruise, love all the reviews and tips on here, read your epic review thought it was very good, best of luck and congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon !!!!

Ahh I remember you now! It's such an active roll call that it's hard to keep up with everyone!

Just found the email in my spam folder, it was sent yesterday. We are in an obstructed oceanview cabin, sailing on the Star out of Venice on 3rd Sept. Upgrade offers are £40 pp for a balcony and £80 pp for a mini suite although the system does let you bid less than that. Quite tempted but would have thought it would only be the less desirable cabins that are left? Might need to have a look at which rooms are available on our sailing :)

Edit

That didn't take long, it looks like all balcony cabins and mini suites are sold out on our sailing other than sail away cabins which I guess used to be the guaranteed cabins, so no way of checking what cabins are free (if any).

Edited by KonkyWonky
Added info

Just found the email in my spam folder, it was sent yesterday. We are in an obstructed oceanview cabin, sailing on the Star out of Venice on 3rd Sept. Upgrade offers are £40 pp for a balcony and £80 pp for a mini suite although the system does let you bid less than that. Quite tempted but would have thought it would only be the less desirable cabins that are left? Might need to have a look at which rooms are available on our sailing :)

Edit

That didn't take long, it looks like all balcony cabins and mini suites are sold out on our sailing other than sail away cabins which I guess used to be the guaranteed cabins, so no way of checking what cabins are free (if any).

My mistake, the system doesn't allow a bid lower than the price stated in the email. Anyway, we submitted an offer for both the balcony and mini suite. Given the ship looks pretty full I'd be surprised to win either offer though.

• 2 weeks later...
.... I've been told that if there's a suite available on the ship that it's put on their site for purchase by anyone but I suspect they are keeping out some for upgrade advantage. ....

I would highly doubt they would hold some back for upgrades. If they can sell one at full price, they will sell it. If it does not sell as it gets close to sail date, they can then go look at the bids that came in.

Why do they keep taking bids when there are no suites? I would guess because there sometimes a late cancel. And somebody in a suite might move up to a higher level suite. It costs them almost nothing to accept bids just in case.

All our havens are now sold out so I probably won't be in luck now. When the offer came out the wanted max £80 to go from balcony to mini suite, they now want £230. The actual price of a mini suite is currently

£300 less than we've paid for the balcony so I can't see many wanting to pay to upgrade

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...