Our Legend… (Wait for it) …Dary Alaskan Cruise 2017

NWACruiser

After dinner, we went back to the cabin to continue packing. The ship was making it through the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We placed the first two suitcases in the hall, to be picked up for disembarkation. The ship was docking.

35397848274_85c4c00d3a_h.jpg

36231764545_2463329007_h.jpg

35397848534_47d968cdca_h.jpg

36231763815_31f8fb21a1_h.jpg

36231762875_3ae7e47007_h.jpg

Seven Seas Navigator

36231744955_016d7509be_h.jpg

Last Port of the Cruise

We made it back to the ship about sunset. It was a beautiful sunset and a nice way to close the cruise down.

36190686456_e72b191a5f_h.jpg

36231749635_69d0c7f6f1_h.jpg

36190685836_3b7f5c3477_h.jpg

36190685426_dbbe3f68fb_h.jpg

35397837424_2cbad59e56_h.jpg

36231825215_f9fc589ed7_h.jpg

Since it was the last night, and we had to get the last two suitcases packed and out before midnight, we had to go back to the cabin. We got the last one packed and into the hall in time to be picked up. We were both tired, so we stepped onto the balcony to watch the Carnival Legend depart from Victoria. Tomorrow was a tour of Seattle before flying out in the evening. We called it a night.

Seattle, Again

36231824755_bbfdd83d21_h.jpg

36065828102_d081996ac4_h.jpg

Boo hoo… The cruise is over…. We had to leave the ship for the last time.

Our flight out of Sea-Tac was after 5:00 PM. SIL’s flight a few hours later. DCF and DC had an early flight. They were the first to disembark so they could shuttle to the airport quickly.

Carnival does not participate in the Port Valet process. (The port will check your luggage, and issue boarding passes so you can tour the city without carrying your bags around. Since we did not want to lug our bags around Seattle, we booked a post cruise tour of Seattle. SIL joined us on the tour.

We got up about six to get breakfast on the Lido deck. I carried my camera bag and DW had a back pack. We met in the Follies Lounge so we could depart at 7:30 AM. On the way down, we ran across a few crew members we befriended on the ship. Finally, we were called to disembark. We saw Jen as we were about to leave the ship. She gave us a hug and remembered how soft my shirt was.

The port was easy to disembark. Customs went quickly and we headed to get our luggage. We got a porter to help us with the bags. She led us out to the bus where we met The Frank in the Hat. He wears the hat from The Cat in the Hat to make his bus easily defined.

36190759516_8139ed2e11_h.jpg

Frank drove us around through several neighborhoods, describing the history of each neighborhood.

Our final stop was at the Chittenden Locks and Botanical Garden. The locks allow marine traffic to navigate between Lake Washington (35 feet above sea level) and the Puget Sound. We had about an hour and a half at the locks.

36190754546_68efed8474_h.jpg

The Carl S English, Jr. Botanical Garden

36190758826_13eb4e2748_h.jpg

36065797422_9231f9c8e9_h.jpg

36190756646_b102e31ba6_h.jpg

36190756126_d4d0293a88_h.jpg

36190754856_e1d527c212_h.jpg

After we had some fresh seafood, we boarded the bus to head to the airport.

36190754096_fd4975bc6a_h.jpg

36190752316_945e6767bd_h.jpg

Mt. Rainier as seen from Sea-Tac

The difference in cost between first class and coach was not much different than the cost of checking four bags. So, we upgraded. It was a great move. We had priority check-in and TSA pre-screen. We said goodbye to SIL and headed to our terminal.

Other than one rough spot while banking over Lake Washington, the flight was smooth. We arrived at KCI about 11:30. We got our luggage and shuttled to the Marriott. Our check-in had a minor issue, I won’t go into, but they comped us a free breakfast, if we wake up in time. (We did not.)

We got home in the afternoon, picked up the dog, unloaded the car, and, fell asleep in the chairs.

It was an excellent trip. I was not sure if I would ever want to go back. After seeing everything, I feel there is other things we can do on another Alaskan Cruise. We may do it again. But, before we do, we must do a Hawaiian Cruise.

The Carnival Legend was in good shape, considering the age of the ship. I did not notice anything that was in disrepair. The crew was excellent. We did not meet anyone working on the ship that was not pleasant and failed to smile at you as you approached.

The ship's captain made a few appearances in the piano bar to listen to the music. He seemed to want to be in the background, unlike Capt. Stubing (from the Love Boat days).

I had a great time talking with the photography staff. Iryna and Rasa would go out of their way to help you find photos, or, anything you needed. There were several others that enjoyed their jobs and made us feel great while posing.

The hotel staff worked hard to keep the ship clean and tidy. Guisti kept the cabin neat and clean. He made towel animals both in the moring and in the evening.

The dining staff was excellent. We had a great time in the MDR whether it was our regular dining time, or, breakfast, or lunch time.

GREAT Review...brought back memories! My mom and I cruised on Spirit in 2009 roundtrip out of Vancouver before Carnival stopped sailing out of Vancouver roundtrip.

You have some fabulous pictures and many of the places look the same now as back in 2009!

I found it very interesting how tourist driven all the ports are and how many college kids get jobs there for the summer. It peaked my interest so I did some research on the subject. What a great way for the young people to travel and experience such a great area of our country.

I find it interesting that you say you are not sure if you would want to go back! Our cruise had just the opposite effect on us. We wanted to return only for a visit to the interior of Alaska as the cruise is just the tip of Alaska. It took several years to get there but we did in 2014 we returned for a land trip with Alaska Wildland Adventures and it was the trip of a lifetime!

Now that I am retired we are planning on spending an entire summer up in Alaska traveling in our truck camper!

Legend is our favorite class of ships, we wish Carnival would add to the fleet but unfortunately they have opted for the bigger is better route!

Thanks again for a wonderful review, Alaska is simply wonderful!

Susan

Thanks for the compliments on the review. I am glad it brought memories.

Before the cruise, I thought it would be a one time excursion. The cruise changed that thought. I still want to get to Hawaii, first though. If we get to Hawaii, then DW will have covered all 50 states. We just have to get this trip paid for, first.