Philipsburg - Mullet Bay - Maho

ScotBrit17

I will be arriiving on Equinox on my first visit to St Maarten and would appreciate advice on my plans. Ship docks at 11.00 and was planning on getting a taxi to Mullet Bay then go to see the planes at Maho and then back to ship.

Can I safely walk from Mullet Bay to Maho, Mullet Bay looks large where should I get the taxi to drop me off to allow me to walk to Maho.

Are taxis plentiful at Maho beach / airport and how long to get back to port.

Appreciate your advice.

We have done this 3 times now and will do it again in November. Mullet Beach is not as big as it may look on the map. Facilities are limited (port a potty) but there is a shack selling food and drinks along with chairs, umbrellas and now a stand that "rents" floats like noodles and such. Last November the ways were rough in the area we parked ourselves at and I thought the DH had bought one for me. Turns out that at 1PM it was repo'd, as they rent not sell and the attendant was going home. This year I bought some inflatable noodles to try out.:)

Walk is about 20 minutes (along a path next to road) back up to the main road and over to Maho Beach. Very easy to find your way. Sometimes taxis dropping off will offer to give you a ride over for about $4 per person. We did this once as someone in our group was so not interested in walking, cost her like $40 for our group of 10.

Depending on the size of your group and if you are the only ship or two, the driver may offer to pick you up and bring you to Maho (small fee again) and back to the ship at an agreed upon time. We prefer to walk to Maho, watch the planes and then meet our driver for the ride back. We have had larger groups (6-10 people) so that could make a difference.

Either way, there will be taxis at Sunset Beach Bar. You have a later port arrival so when you get to Maho talk to a taxi driver to be sure they hang around. Just be sure to give yourself enough time to get back. They will probably want to fill up their taxi so you might have to wait. Have another drink and tell the driver where to find you. Depending on the time of day (rush hour) the ride should be about 25 minutes. When you grab your taxi in the morning ask the dispatcher how long to expect the ride back to be. Another thing to consider is checking to see what time the big planes are coming in. Joyce Prince tours used to have a timetable on her website.

The 1st half of the walk is via the street that cuts throught the golf course, not on the coast. I don't recall any sidewalks, but it is safe - not much traffic at all. The second half of the walk is via the same street through a little shopping area. The part has sidewalks and it also safe. It will take you to the north end of Maho beach (Driftwood bar). The south end has Sunset bar. You can catch a taxi at either end and the beach is not long - about 150 yards from Driftwood to Sunset.

• 2 weeks later...