Princess Visa and OBC

Amy G

I am about to redeem my points for OBC for our cruise in March. I have never redeemed points with this card before, and it is asking when I want it to be delivered. Can I put today's date, so that I can use the OBC to book our shore excursions soon? Thanks!

Will happily be corrected if wrong. But...

The only OBC that can be used towards advance purchase of amenities through your Cruise Personalizer (such as shore excursions) is OBC that is part of the Princess booking promotion. Other "awarded" OBC such as shareholder, military, travel agent incentive, and points redeemed from Princess Visa card cannot be spent until on board.

Yes it is best to redeem it a few weeks before your cruise (and after final payment, just in case). I always have it "delivered" on the first day of the cruise. There will either be a notification card in your cabin, or it will show up on your shipboard account by the next day. I've done it twice now with no problems.

Yes I think all Princess shore excursions are prepaid now. You can also book them onboard with OBC.

When I have redeemed my Princess Visa card OBC, you type in your cruise booking number and it gives you the option of one of the cruise days to have it redeemed. I think most people have it on day one of their cruise so it's available right away.

It might be different now and there could be a way to get your OBC in advance of your cruise. It would show you that as an option when you redeem your points online.

Thank you everyone! Now I am torn, because I really would like to book my excursions in advance, but if I want to use my Visa rewards, I shouldn't book in advance... I worry that the excursions I want, wont be available when we board the ship.

Thank you everyone! Now I am torn, because I really would like to book my excursions in advance, but if I want to use my Visa rewards, I shouldn't book in advance... I worry that the excursions I want, wont be available when we board the ship.

Given your concern that the excursions may be full another option that may help in this instance would be to book the excursions with your Princess Visa (you will get 2 points for each dollar spent on the excursions) and then cash in your points for a statement credit rather than the OBC.

You may want to hold off for a bit. The OBC is nonrefundable should you cancel your cruise. I never apply mine until after final payment.

That is with the Barclay card.

Ditto. Hold off until final payment. You do have to use a date during the cruise so I always use the boarding date. A notice will be delivered to your cabin or you can print out a statement showing that you received your OBC.

You can also use the OBC to pay for speciality dining, purchases in any of the shops, any alcohol beverages or soda, unless you have the free All Inclusive Beverage Package they have been offering.

Given your concern that the excursions may be full another option that may help in this instance would be to book the excursions with your Princess Visa (you will get 2 points for each dollar spent on the excursions) and then cash in your points for a statement credit rather than the OBC.

That's a great idea! :)

I agree, that is an excellent idea! Just make sure that you get your double points. Many of us have been having ongoing issues with getting our double points for Princess purchases on our Barclay card. There are two current threads about it here on CC.

Just want to make a recommendation that you do not use the OBC and instead cash in for a statement credit. You will get 2 points per dollar spent with princess, and depending on the amount spent the points will be valued from 1-4% for statement credit. IMO a better value for your points.