Offal at breakfast

scouse mouse

While I don't eat "guts" I do eat escargot. On our last two cruises my wife and I were the only ones at our dinner table who ordered the escargot. Everybody else looked at it like it was poison. I had never tasted escargot until our first cruise. My son was with us and we all ordered it. (My wife had had it once about a thousand years before. She has also had frog's legs which I would try but Princess doesn't offer them.) It was the best I have ever had and I keep trying to get it that good again. I kind of like telling the "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!" people that the snails are essentially the same as the ones they squish in the garden. :evilsmile:

I do kind of wonder about the "chicken feet" in the Chinese buffet though. :o

We're in the same boat as you with the snails & frogs.

When did they serve the chicken feet? I would never order them as a main course but I'd love to try them at least once.

I haven't seen it on a Caribbean cruise in years. It must appeal to the European travelers more. They seem to have different tastes than most typical Americans.

Disgusting.

Enjoy them. I'll be ordering salmon, prime rib or steaks.

Actually, it was an Alaska cruise, and the vast majority of passengers were American. I wouldn't be able to say how many people ordered the sweetbreads (you'd have to ask the chef), but the steak & kidney pie (which I understand is a staple of the pub lunch throughout the cruiseline) was visibly popular as orders were filled.

Also, if these items are not to your taste, I'm not suggesting you need to eat them, but calling them "disgusting" crosses the line between expressing a personal preference and impugning the preferences of others, and is therefore uncalled-for.

I do kind of wonder about the "chicken feet" in the Chinese buffet though. :o

As a server at a dim sum place once tried to warn my father, they are the feet . . . of the chicken. (He knew exactly what he was ordering, and enjoyed them thoroughly.)

IMO, if you've ever eaten chicken skin, you've pretty much gotten the taste of chicken feet. They can be good, depending on how they're prepared (what kind of sauce, etc.), but usually I don't find it worth the effort of eating around all those tiny bones.

My family has a chain of Charcuteries in the USA.

One of their biggest clients is the local McDonalds franchise. My family produces all the hamburger patties for their Big Macs.

Next time you are eating at McDonalds, ask yourself about butchering a cow or pig. Nothing gets wasted.

What do you suppose they do with the lips, cheeks, noses, eyelids, ears, gums, tongue, and other unusual parts?

IMO, if you've ever eaten chicken skin, you've pretty much gotten the taste of chicken feet. They can be good, depending on how they're prepared (what kind of sauce, etc.), but usually I don't find it worth the effort of eating around all those tiny bones.

I agree. My one experience with chicken feet happened when I was in the wholesale food business. Standing in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant during slack time, I saw a bag of chicken feet being prepped for the staff meal. Remembering how my wife sometimes mentioned that her mother (an immigrant from Italy) would cook them, I asked the chef to get me some the next time he was in the market. My wife called her mother to ask how she cooked them- in tomato sauce, of course. When we ate the meal, we both thought it was an awful lot of work to cook and eat them with too little reward.

We also could not understand why there seemed to be a lot of little "stones" in the sauce. When my wife called her mother to ask about it, her mother was hysterical laughing: "Didn't you ever watch me cut the nails off?"

Actually, it was an Alaska cruise, and the vast majority of passengers were American. I wouldn't be able to say how many people ordered the sweetbreads (you'd have to ask the chef), but the steak & kidney pie (which I understand is a staple of the pub lunch throughout the cruiseline) was visibly popular as orders were filled.

Also, if these items are not to your taste, I'm not suggesting you need to eat them, but calling them "disgusting" crosses the line between expressing a personal preference and impugning the preferences of others, and is therefore uncalled-for.

Obviously when I said "disgusting" is was only how I felt about it. How others could possibly think it was their opinion is puzzling to me.

Still, some people will eat just about anything.

One of their biggest clients is the local McDonalds franchise. My family produces all the hamburger patties for their Big Macs.

Next time you are eating at McDonalds, ask yourself about butchering a cow or pig. Nothing gets wasted.

What do you suppose they do with the lips, cheeks, noses, eyelids, ears, gums, tongue, and other unusual parts?

That's pretty much why I gave up on eating at fast food places, along with hot dogs and sausages. It's probably not that organ meat is included in those products but just the health aspect of what might be ground into those products that sticks in my mind.

And I'm not really that health minded to begin with.

Are you indicating those items are in McDonald's hamburger patties?

I once worked with a food operation that included an abattoir. I saw that nothing (pretty much literally) was wasted, but that did not mean it all went into "meat."

Some did (sausage anyone?), but some went to items ranging from pet food to fertilizer to other non food items.

But all parts of the cow were used/shipped off to be used in/for something.

This experience was when I first learned the word offal. And it was awful to see a conveyor belt carrying various "stuff" to a waiting, open box (while loading) truck. Note, this treatment was for "stuff" that was NOT going to end up in food product.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

As a server at a dim sum place once tried to warn my father, they are the feet . . . of the chicken. (He knew exactly what he was ordering, and enjoyed them thoroughly.)

My wife and I along with two other couples went to our first dim sum restaurant in Seattle (wonderful!) back in the 1970s. Seeing all these small dishes of great Chinese food, many with hidden contents, made us feel adventurous so as they were offered, we just kept saying yes. So it was this, then that, then "chicken feet" and before we knew it we had ordered them. Only a couple of us tried them, and I had no qualms but also did not find much in the way of either volume to eat or flavor. Did not dislike them but saw no reason to repeat.

Obviously when I said "disgusting" is was only how I felt about it. How others could possibly think it was their opinion is puzzling to me.

Puzzling it may be, but when enough people tell you so, you might do well to take them at their word that perhaps it isn't as obvious as you think.

Still, some people will eat just about anything.

And perhaps the dismissive and condescending tone of comments like this contributes to people's perception.

Puzzling it may be, but when enough people tell you so, you might do well to take them at their word that perhaps it isn't as obvious as you think.

And perhaps the dismissive and condescending tone of comments like this contributes to people's perception.

Then they shouldn't read my posts if it's that upsetting. There is an opt out for that. ;p

I post what I feel & it an opinion just like all the others have.

When did they serve the chicken feet? I would never order them as a main course but I'd love to try them at least once.

Not on Princess. I've seen them at Chinese buffet restaurants. I've never tried them but they are always available so obviously some people enjoy them. There's not much in the way of meat on them for sure.

I once saw a show (at a friend's house since we don't watch "regular" TV at home) about unusual foods. I thought the large jar full of deer penises was a bit much but some cultures believe them to be a great aid to "sexual vigor" and gladly eat them. Lots of different culinary habits in the world. I bet the same people who order those items would gag at the thought of a Big Mac. (I don't eat those either but not because of any food prejudice - I just don't like them.)

Edited by Thrak

Not on Princess. I've seen them at Chinese buffet restaurants. I've never tried them but they are always available so obviously some people enjoy them. There's not much in the way of meat on them for sure.

I checked them out on Google & from what I see the average serving would have to be at least 10 or so per person. They certainly didn't look all that appetizing. Just some chicken skin on the toes. :rolleyes: I don't see the attraction.

Then they shouldn't read my posts if it's that upsetting. There is an opt out for that. ;p

I post what I feel & it an opinion just like all the others have.

Your response is a non-sequitur. You didn't ask about other people's feelings, you asked how they could come to take your statements to have a certain meaning.

So far in this thread, you have questioned the financial wherewithal of people who eat certain foods, presented yourself as the apex predator with others eating your discards, called others' preferences "disgusting," denied the validity of others' understanding of your statements, and now outright stated that you will continue to do so regardless of its effect on others. I fear you are in violation of Wheaton's Law, particularly with respect to the latter.

Your response is a non-sequitur. You didn't ask about other people's feelings, you asked how they could come to take your statements to have a certain meaning.

So far in this thread, you have questioned the financial wherewithal of people who eat certain foods, presented yourself as the apex predator with others eating your discards, called others' preferences "disgusting," denied the validity of others' understanding of your statements, and now outright stated that you will continue to do so regardless of its effect on others. I fear you are in violation of Wheaton's Law, particularly with respect to the latter.

Yep, you're correct.

It is disguising.:D

Your smiley face indicates that you believe your comment to be clever or amusing. It is neither.

Ho-ley cow!

Talk about violating Wheaton's Law--

Please, don't be a dick! Knock off this childish badinage.

There are some on this thread who are having an adult discussion.

Do you know what New York penicillin is? It's a broth made from chickens feet. They are boiled and simmered, the strained. drink the broth when you have a cold or a flu and it lessens the effect of being sick. Google New York Penicillin, find an authentic recipe using chicken's feet.