Offal at breakfast

scouse mouse

I'm a bit disappointed, but not surprised, at the intense dislike expressed toward so many foods which I have enjoyed in my life. In addition to those already mentioned, I would add such delectables as sweetbreads (thymus gland), headcheese, "prairie oysters" (testicles), blood sausage (in a variety of forms around the world, including the Irish black pudding), tongue, pickled pigs' feet, and those wonderful little intestines cooked over a wood-fired grill at an Argentinian estancia luncheon.

Much of this dislike comes, I believe, from the simple fact that, as the children of immigrants, many of our nationalities of origin have since been so utterly assimilated that few people are exposed to these foods anymore. Growing up in a German immigrant household sixty years ago, I enjoyed stewed veal kidneys at least once a month on Sundays after church. Now it is almost impossible to find such things in a supermarket. An exception to this would be in areas heavily populated by newly-arrived Hispanics and, I imagine, Asians. A recent trip to Texas included a visit to a HEB supermarket near the Rio Grande where I was surprised to find kidneys, liver, sweetbreads, and even brains. Having no cooking facilities, it was a bittersweet experience.

I suppose it all had to do with just how hungry a person is. When I grew up we had sufficient money to not have to eat the internal organs. Sweetbreads or offal just doesn't seem to be that appealing to most people which is evident by the fact that Princess doesn't even bother to serve them.

I suppose it all had to do with just how hungry a person is. When I grew up we had sufficient money to not have to eat the internal organs. Sweetbreads or offal just doesn't seem to be that appealing to most people which is evident by the fact that Princess doesn't even bother to serve them.

Wow.......

It's really a socialization process now. Offal feel it off favor when big meat suppliers in the 18th century found it too expensive to store, compared to regular meat. I never grew up with it, except for steamed or fried whole clams. My mother did try liver with me (60 years ago), but I actually found the taste not to my liking. Back in 1963, on the SS Oriana, one table mate liked braised lamb brains. Couldn't watch her eat it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Forums mobile app

Really? just how low can your comments get?

So people only eat it if they are poor? Liver, kidney, hearts are full of goodness and are very nutritious, and prepared correctly are absolutely delicious.

If you are going to eat meat then you should be respectful to the animal and each as much of it as possible leaving as little waste as possible.

Really? just how low can your comments get?

So people only eat it if they are poor? Liver, kidney, hearts are full of goodness and are very nutritious, and prepared correctly are absolutely delicious.

If you are going to eat meat then you should be respectful to the animal and each as much of it as possible leaving as little waste as possible.

I eat all the good parts and leave the rest for you to enjoy.

I eat all the good parts and leave the rest for you to enjoy.

Obviously not if you are not eating the liver, kidney and so on. You carry on 'enjoying' all the parts that taste of nothing and are of dubious nutritional value.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Obviously not if you are not eating the liver, kidney and so on. You carry on 'enjoying' all the parts that taste of nothing and are of dubious nutritional value.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Come on guys. Take it to Facebook or I might just join in from my Vegan point of view...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I think it really has more to do with where one grew up. Offal is far more prevalent in the UK and, to some extent, the southern US. Growing up in California it wasn't really even an option. I found out early on though that I don't care for liver. My grandmother made what I thought would be a wonderful chicken soup. Then I tried eating it and there was a horridly bitter and nasty item in it that turned out to be chicken liver. No thanks.

If I had grown up in an area or in a household that regularly ate organ meat I'm sure it would seem natural to me. Having grown up in an area and a household that didn't eat organ meat it isn't something I ever acquired a taste for. Face it, if everybody was just like me the world would be a very sad place. If you like it then eat it, if you don't like it then don't eat it. While traveling through Canada recently we couldn't find any Mexican restaurants and when we asked someone they just laughed and said, "No. We don't have any here". This was in a reasonably large town - I think it may have been Prince George, BC.

I've met people who thought eating Chinese food or Mexican food (different folks) bizarre. Sheesh. I have to have Chinese food and Mexican food. I once gave Vegemite a try. Nope, nope, nope. Some folks absolutely love it. People are different all over the world.

Wow you're getting a lot of flak. Grew up on chicken liver, veal, calve's liver and flank steak because they were inexpensive. These days can't find calve's liver, or veal, flank steak has skyrocketed, and chicken livers are very expensive for what they are.

(In mechanical poultry processing the liver gets destroyed, so these have to be harvested by hand, increasing the cost.)

Wow you're getting a lot of flak. Grew up on chicken liver, veal, calve's liver and flank steak because they were inexpensive. These days can't find calve's liver, or veal, flank steak has skyrocketed, and chicken livers are very expensive for what they are.

(In mechanical poultry processing the liver gets destroyed, so these have to be harvested by hand, increasing the cost.)

The rest gets ground up & fed back to the baby chickens in feed.

I guess we get to eat it one way or the other.

I think of haggis and {{shudder}}. Maybe to use as a rugby football.

And chitlins--chitterlings--their one saving grace is they fit on a kabob.

But (and here is where my own ox is gored): I have aways been partial to gizzards. Mmm--deep fried, still tender, better than bacon! Just remember to remove the crop! And so endeth the paean to offal as food, having wandered off into the weeds.

Got a chuckle out of this. Love blood sausage, not haggis, gizzards or chiltlins, but have never had the gizzards deep fried. Might change my mind. Love liver also. Hot but beautiful right now in Tucson, agreed?

Actually, money was not a factor. Although I didn't know it at the time, I discovered about 25 years later that my father's income was in the top 10% of the country. He simply cooked such food because he liked it when he was a boy- when money was indeed a factor. Fortunately for me, he taught me to at least try a food before rejecting it. Many of the foods I mentioned were ones I deliberately sampled simply because I had no experience with them.

Au contraire, I had sweetbreads on board just a couple of weeks ago. It was part of an MDR appetizer, and that's not counting the steak & kidney pie at the pub lunch.

I understand the instinct some people have to try to proselytize for organ meats--in many cases, the perceived dislike is more a matter of mental hurdles and acclimation than actual preference--but in my later years I've come to adopt the attitude that if you don't want it, that just means more for me.

Got a chuckle out of this. Love blood sausage, not haggis, gizzards or chiltlins, but have never had the gizzards deep fried. Might change my mind. Love liver also. Hot but beautiful right now in Tucson, agreed?

Hot, yes, and beautiful, yes. Down here the heat brings on the greenery, just the opposite of our former state, Washington.

It seems that just about anything deep fried--not greasy but nicely done--is delicious. Years ago we had an employee who came off his night shift at Col. Sanders with two big buckets of chicken--on full of gizzards, the other full of livers. Both those buckets were emptied in a half hour! People, including me, just devoured the gizzards and livers.

Au contraire, I had sweetbreads on board just a couple of weeks ago. It was part of an MDR appetizer, and that's not counting the steak & kidney pie at the pub lunch.

I understand the instinct some people have to try to proselytize for organ meats--in many cases, the perceived dislike is more a matter of mental hurdles and acclimation than actual preference--but in my later years I've come to adopt the attitude that if you don't want it, that just means more for me.

I haven't seen it on a Caribbean cruise in years. It must appeal to the European travelers more. They seem to have different tastes than most typical Americans.

Disgusting.

Enjoy them. I'll be ordering salmon, prime rib or steaks.

Popular Aussie breakfast dish is 'Lambs Fry.' Which is Liver, Kidneys, bacon, oniion, all fried up in a thick gravy, on toast, lubbly jubbly. Seen something close to that on P&O UK and Cunard, but not on Princess ships.:p

And of course the Brits like black pudding and white pudding for breakfast on P&O UK and Cunard as well, made from pigs blood. I am not partial to it.:eek:

Is your partner all right with Escargot and Frog's Legs? They often have a French themed night.

Regards John

While I don't eat "guts" I do eat escargot. On our last two cruises my wife and I were the only ones at our dinner table who ordered the escargot. Everybody else looked at it like it was poison. I had never tasted escargot until our first cruise. My son was with us and we all ordered it. (My wife had had it once about a thousand years before. She has also had frog's legs which I would try but Princess doesn't offer them.) It was the best I have ever had and I keep trying to get it that good again. I kind of like telling the "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!" people that the snails are essentially the same as the ones they squish in the garden. :evilsmile:

I do kind of wonder about the "chicken feet" in the Chinese buffet though. :o

Hi,here in Southern Italy they sell tripe,half a sheeps head,cows lungs and spinal cord and liver.If I want kidney for our homemade kate and sydney pies and puddings I have to order it 5 days in advance otherwise it goes in the bin.I think its a superstitious thing here,being a urinary organ,lol,cheers,Brian.