Are the seas ever good cruising from Sydney to New Zealand??????

Never mind the Tasman/Bass Straight/Southern Ocean, I am already cringing at the thought of being on the little Adonia next year, crossing ye olde Bay of Biscay. Been through it 4 times before on bigger ships like Ruby Princess, Crown Princess and Arcadia and each time got a pounding from those Atlantic swells.:loudcry::eek:

We've been lucky each time and had no noticeable bad weather.

hi fellow cruisers.

Just trying to put wife's mind at rest a bit.

We are doing a 12 nighter on the celebrity solstice in late January/early February next year and my wife keeps reading horror stories about the sea conditions for our cruise. She is getting a bit paranoid about it at the moment.

Is there anyone out there that has had nice weather on this trip in January/February in years past????.

Regards bob.

I guess we have been lucky as we have sailed the return trip five times and I also sailed from Sydney to New Zealand on the way to Southampton in 1965.

We have had calm to reasonable seas on all crossings and have been lucky enough to visit the Sounds on all sailings.

The only time we missed any ports was once in Napier, I was talking too some friends while we were in the harbour and being pushed by tugs alongside our berth.

When I looked out again we were back at sea, the captain came on to say that even with the tugs and thrusters they could not overcome the strength of the wind to get alongside, even then the ship was not affected enough to cause problems with movement.

I hope you are lucky enough to have a calm crossing and enjoy New Zealand, a wonderful country with helpful friendly people.

Cruised on Solstice across in November. Like a mill pond ......

We found the same when we sailed there in March on the Radiance a couple of years ago. Smooth sailing there and back (around the islands as well). You can be lucky

hi fellow cruisers.

We are doing a 12 nighter on the celebrity solstice in late January/early February next year and my wife keeps reading horror stories about the sea conditions for our cruise. She is getting a bit paranoid about it at the moment.

Is there anyone out there that has had nice weather on this trip in January/February in years past????.

Regards bob.

Hi....I'm Susan and easily get sea sick. We crossed the Tasman Sea in February several years ago (from Australia to New Zealand) and I was also bracing for the worst! The seas WERE bad as expected, but that's when I discovered what I now call my "trifecta"... used together Dramamine, sea bands applied to pressure points, and ginger capsules. While others were sick, using this combination I was comfortably able to eat in the dining room looking at the high seas lapping at the windows!!!!! Hope this suggestion helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hi fellow cruisers.

Regards bob.

We have cruised Melbourne to NZ at least 6 times around that time of the year and have had rough seas once or twice. On the whole we have had very smooth seas.

We did the Solstice 5 years ago for a Christmas/New Years cruise. I had a bad ear issue that caused me to be very sensitive to the sea conditions ( I was puking for the entire 15 hour flight from LA to Sydney). But on the ship I kept my seasick meds close at hand. I had a little dizziness and some tummy flops during the Tasman Sea crossing, but for the most part it was quite pleasant. Be sure your dinner table is not at a window and she should be fine.

Side note, I did not have any ear bones while on the ship, but have since received my bionic ear so looking forward to our next trip across in November.

Going from Sydney to Auckland the prevailing winds should give you a following sea which is much better than banging into the swells! I've crossed Tasman about 5-6 times, and it's never been too rough, but there's no way of predicting how any particular cruise will be until about 7 days out...!