U.S. Govt issued New travel warning to Mexico Aug 22, 2017

serendipity1499

When I started this thread I asked if anyone had any schedule change since we are due to go into Cozumel in Dec..

I'm not afraid as some of you have implied! I do know that if I was, we could stay on board.. I resent having a lecture about my choices..

I've traveled all over the world in my job & have been in many places where major problems have occurred.. I even rented a car twice in Morocco with other single girls & drove through there.. However, on one of our last cruises we had armed guards accompany us on a tour in Morocco & when one in our group fell ill, while on tour, the group leader sent her back to the ship with an armed guard..

My only question is for those who are on cruises now or in the near future in those areas - Has Celebrity had any schedule changes to the Cancun or Cozumel ports & if so what are the new ports?

Edited by serendipity1499

When I started this thread I asked if anyone had any schedule change since we are due to go into Cozumel in Dec..

I'm not afraid as some of you have implied! I do know that if I was, we could stay on board.. I resent having a lecture about my choices..

?

Many threads turn corners.:rolleyes:

I think you feeling resentful and that you personally were being lectured is on you. Just skip the nonrelevant posts and keep searching for the answer you need.

The information offered might be helpful to others, which is what we are here for.:)

And yet those ports are still WAY safer than Chicago (or many other US cities). Here in LA we had 661 people killed last year, 8 of them in San Pedro where the Celebrity ships dock. 20+ in Long Beach where the Carnival ships dock. Makes Mexico seem like a pretty safe place.

We'll keep that in mind in San Pedro...

In the U,S, we kind of know what or where to avoid but in a foreign country it's more difficult...unless you know the lay of the land esp if you do not speak the language very well. Things can go wrong anywhere these days...but some places are less safe than others, Sad!

Has there been reported gun violence in Cozumel? I can't find anything when I do a google search. I know Cancun has had a lot of problems recently but cruises don't go there. Most of the violence is a result of gang fights not targeted attacks on tourists but some innocents have gotten caught in crossfire. I would recommend not going off on your own outside of busy tourist areas, don't rent a car and drive around these warning areas, stick with reputable tour operators and visit popular tourist sites that likely have security and lots of people around. I personally wouldn't visit Cancun or even a Mayan Riviera resort for a vacation right now but I'm not too concerned about a day stop in Cozumel or Costa Maya. Let's not forget that a Celebrity excursion group was held up at gunpoint and robbed in St. Lucia a few years ago or that a Star Clipper passenger was murdered on a beach in Antigua back in 2010 (same day I was there with NCL - on a different beach) but I don't see people panicking about visiting those places.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has there been reported gun violence in Cozumel? I can't find anything when I do a google search. I know Cancun has had a lot of problems recently but cruises don't go there. Most of the violence is a result of gang fights not targeted attacks on tourists but some innocents have gotten caught in crossfire. I would recommend not going off on your own outside of busy tourist areas, don't rent a car and drive around these warning areas, stick with reputable tour operators and visit popular tourist sites that likely have security and lots of people around. I personally wouldn't visit Cancun or even a Mayan Riviera resort for a vacation right now but I'm not too concerned about a day stop in Cozumel or Costa Maya. Let's not forget that a Celebrity excursion group was held up at gunpoint and robbed in St. Lucia a few years ago or that a Star Clipper passenger was murdered on a beach in Antigua back in 2010 (same day I was there with NCL - on a different beach) but I don't see people panicking about visiting those places.

I bolded your first question as the Travel warning issued by the U.S. Govt Aug 22, 2017 includes Cozumel..

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html

Quote Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred. Unquote

This is why I asked if any one has been told of a port change..

Really? Tell me the last time large tourist groups were visiting the more dangerous parts of the US (including yourselves) and then maybe I'll accept the "but we have more dangerous places here in the US" It's just a stupid analogy.

Or an inconvenient truth?

OP made no mention of 'large tourist groups'.

Stuart

I bolded your first question as the Travel warning issued by the U.S. Govt Aug 22, 2017 includes Cozumel..

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html

Quote Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred. Unquote

This is why I asked if any one has been told of a port change..

That wasn't what I asked though. I asked if there has been reported gun violence in Cozumel? I couldn't find any specific incidents when searching through google; I could find multiple incidents in Cancun and a recent one in Playa del Carmen. Just because the government issued a warning doesn't mean anything. They issued a warning for a state in Mexico equal to the size of NH and VT combined. That doesn't mean that every single place within that state is under siege. Don't you think cruisers would've been reporting violence in Cozumel here on Cruise Critic if that were the case?

Really? Tell me the last time large tourist groups were visiting the more dangerous parts of the US (including yourselves) and then maybe I'll accept the "but we have more dangerous places here in the US" It's just a stupid analogy.

Um, Miami-Dade county, you know, the place with the biggest cruise port in the country, had 231 homicides in 2016. So yes, that would be a more dangerous place than Cozumel. Cancun may be a different story, but cruise ships don't stop there.

It is a given that a cruise ship with thousands of passengers is a large tourist group.

Largest group I've ever been in was around 12 people, once outside the dock gates. The warming was entirely about land-side issues.

Stuart