Llbean rain jacket

Ski Mom

Hi all! I am in the market for a multi purpose jacket for my July 2018 Alaskan cruise. Has any one owned either of these jackets? I am looking to order on line either the Llbean Discovery fleece lined jacket or the 3 in 1 Challenger jacket. I have tried on three in one jackets in the past in other brands and always found them combersome and uncomfortable but also like the idea of it's versatility. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

For July a sweatshirt and a water proof jacket are all that you need. No point in spending a lot of money. You are better off buying the rain jacket a little big and just putting a couple of extra layers underneath.

I swear I'm not pushing LLBean but their pants were in the running when I was researching. I remember they have rainpants that unzip hem to waist. That might be helpful for you.

My rain hats are by Totes, and I'm happy with them. One is a bucket hat and one is a ball cap with ear flaps. Dorky but effective.

Hey I'm all about the dork if it keeps me dry haha! Those zip rain easy off rain pants sound great because it would really make my wearing them a breeze but there are 4 different styles with 4 different price points. Which ones do you have?

Hey I'm all about the dork if it keeps me dry haha! Those zip rain easy off rain pants sound great because it would really make my wearing them a breeze but there are 4 different styles with 4 different price points. Which ones do you have?

After serious consideration, I went with Columbia because they were cheaper with good reviews. They were fine but only have a small pocket for a key or card. I just remembered the others from when I was looking and thought the side zippered ones might work for you. Easier on/off and even unzip to vent if you do get hot. There might be just one style that side zips. Otherwise, I think lighter weight is fine because leggings or tights make a nice liner.

After serious consideration, I went with Columbia because they were cheaper with good reviews. They were fine but only have a small pocket for a key or card. I just remembered the others from when I was looking and thought the side zippered ones might work for you. Easier on/off and even unzip to vent if you do get hot. There might be just one style that side zips. Otherwise, I think lighter weight is fine because leggings or tights make a nice liner.

I totally agree the easier I can make it for me all the better. I think they would work out for me the best also. Thanks for the info I actually think they are on sale I think they will be a good investment in my trip !

I really like North Face. They have a waterproof shell that costs about $90. They stand behind their product 100%. I had one where the membrane started to peel. I took it back to the North Face store in Seattle when I was there on vacation. They sent me a coupon for a new one, as it could not be repaired.

I really like North Face. They have a waterproof shell that costs about $90. They stand behind their product 100%. I had one where the membrane started to peel. I took it back to the North Face store in Seattle when I was there on vacation. They sent me a coupon for a new one, as it could not be repaired.

Yes! That jacket got very high ratings on consumer reports. Great to hear your experience with a was so good !

For July a sweatshirt and a water proof jacket are all that you need. No point in spending a lot of money. You are better off buying the rain jacket a little big and just putting a couple of extra layers underneath.

Great point. I have an old rain jacket but sadly it's to small to use with layers so I will plan to size up thanks!

For summer in Alaska, I've taken an unlined Patagonia Gore-Tex jacket for wind and rain, and a light weight sweater for underneath if it's chilly.

For wet (or dry) trails, I'd recommend New Balance 3000 walking shoes. They are light weight, leather, water resistant, comfortable and don't look like athletic shoes or sneakers. I've got many miles on mine. http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-balance-3000/MW3000.html?dwvar_MW3000_color=Brown#color=Brown&size=9&width=4E

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For summer in Alaska, I've taken an unlined Patagonia Gore-Tex jacket for wind and rain, and a light weight sweater for underneath if it's chilly.

For wet (or dry) trails, I'd recommend New Balance 3000 walking shoes. They are light weight, leather, water resistant, comfortable and don't look like athletic shoes or sneakers. I've got many miles on mine. http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-balance-3000/MW3000.html?dwvar_MW3000_color=Brown#color=Brown&size=9&width=4E

Thanks for the recommendation on the shoes! I have actually been looking at them online and they look like they would be perfect for me. I own NB gym shoes and they are very comfortable but I hate how they look with pants so it's great to hear you like them!

I have to jump in here to say that I love L.L. Bean outer wear. I have also bought shirts and shorts and skorts, and many items from them over the past 15+ years. L.L. Bean is not cheap however it's very good quality, and I believe good value. I never shop for clothes online, with the exception of L.L. Bean because their sizes are always true. Also, returns are free because I make the purchase on the L.L.Bean visa credit card. OK just my two cents.

I have to jump in here to say that I love L.L. Bean outer wear. I have also bought shirts and shorts and skorts, and many items from them over the past 15+ years. L.L. Bean is not cheap however it's very good quality, and I believe good value. I never shop for clothes online, with the exception of L.L. Bean because their sizes are always true. Also, returns are free because I make the purchase on the L.L.Bean visa credit card. OK just my two cents.

Thank you PhD-iva! I have worn their active apparel but never their outerwear. I do all my shopping on line because I can't physically get to the store so acquiring the llbean credit card with free returns would be such a great convenience to me! Then I could try them on in the comfort of my home. Thank you for the information!