Galveston weather concerns

And as the flood waters recede the choppers will be less as they are switched to ground crew. From the traffic web cameras there is a lot of traffic movement, even with some roads still being shut. It sounds as though some areas around and in Houston are running while others are unfortunately far from it.

You are correct some neighborhoods will be cover in water for a least 6 months. Houston is know as the Bayou City. There are ways of getting around, almost all of the major freeways are high and dry. Access to both airports is in place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Better a hotel than a public shelter. That said, I spend a lot of time in hotels with business travel, and regardless of how nice it is, there's nothing like being in your own home.

The Houston area officials are working as we play on our Computer to move individuals into apartments, and getting them out of the schools.

This looks much worse that it is. Over 96% of customers have power. The percent without power has never been below 95%. Basically if you aren't flooded, you have power. Less than 10% of homes were flooded. Hotel availability may be a issue, but the roads are largely clear now. Everyone is getting out today. There's a lot of cabin fever. Don't judge the whole area by what you see on the TV and social media. Ordinary lives don't make a story.

Really? That seems to be much better news than what most are being told.

For sure, the flooded are in a horrible situation, but it certainly sounds better than what most of us think. Good to hear.

With the posts about the roads clearing- it seems even better that the Liberty is going back on Friday to let residents get back home.

Thanks for the better reporting.

Also- we know they are scheduled to arrive on Friday, and not leave again until Sunday- which suggests that they have time to offer some kind of relief. Such as- if people find out they can't go home, they *might* stay on board for a few days.

[g/quote]

I had email from friend still on Liberty. They have been told they can remain onboard until Sunday. They don't know after that. They are B2B2B, so aren't planning to get off until 9/10.

Really? That seems to be much better news than what most are being told.

For sure, the flooded are in a horrible situation, but it certainly sounds better than what most of us think. Good to hear.

With the posts about the roads clearing- it seems even better that the Liberty is going back on Friday to let residents get back home.

Thanks for the better reporting.

We know it's bad in Houston and surrounding areas.

I believe TV (no longer news) broadcasts for viewers and ratings. Why do a lot of people watch NASCAR at Daytona and Talladega? For the crashes. This is just part of their #FAKENEWS campaign. Tell the viewers what drives sales ads and increases ratings.

Wishing those affected by the storm all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Houston area officials are working as we play on our Computer to move individuals into apartments, and getting them out of the schools.

You assume that there are thousands of empty--and dry--apartments. Houston has over 800,000 housing units according to the US Census. If 10% were damaged, that's 80,000 units. Even if only 1% of them are uninhabitable, that's still over 8000 housing units (apartments) that they need to house people. There are not 8000 available housing units in the area.

Edited by ducklite

I'm judging from my friends who live in the general Houston area-- one in Richmond who may have a mandatory flood evacuation today even though so far she has been high and dry.

ETA: she just updated that the river appears to have crested and it looks like they won't have to evacuate now.

The river hasn't crested but when it does crest on Friday, it will be lower than earlier predicted - still higher than last year but not as high as feared. The access roads will still be underwater, so she may still be stranded in her home until at least early next week.

Houston has a lot of work ahead to prevent another even like this. Time to call the Dutch engineers to plan for a 1000 year event, and build the necessary structures.

That isn't going to happen. In fact the federal government had regulations in place that when infrastructure was rebuilt using federal funds, it had to be rebuilt to withstand floods. The president signed an executive order reversing those regulations ten days before Harvey.

Also, Texans don't want "The Man" telling them what they need to do, so they don't have building codes to protect against floods.

http://www.newsweek.com/houston-drowning-freedom-regulations-656087

"Houston was built without regard for the carrying capacity of its roads, just as it was built without regulating the amount of impervious cover that would be shedding water into streets, storm sewers, rivers and Buffalo Bayou.

Texans do value their freedom."

And since I am posting links, it was well known that Houston was going to have huge floods at some point. Here is an article from The Texas Tribune published in 2016 saying that it isn't if, but when Houston and the surrounding area will be devastated by massive flooding.

I don't post any of this to say that the deserve it or that it is their fault or to make light their suffering. Just to say that they aren't going to rebuild any differently.

We know it's bad in Houston and surrounding areas.

I believe TV (no longer news) broadcasts for viewers and ratings. Why do a lot of people watch NASCAR at Daytona and Talladega? For the crashes. This is just part of their #FAKENEWS campaign. Tell the viewers what drives sales ads and increases ratings.

Wishing those affected by the storm all the best.

Well, said

You assume that there are thousands of empty--and dry--apartments.

I don't assume up to May of this year I worked for a Structural Engineer. Houston had a guilt of empty apartments they were making deals like 2 months free rent on a year's lease(the last two months)

Just like Katrina in 2008 Uncle Sam came to town and rented everything at the premium price. The good folks of New Orleans had high end apartments, for a year.

I don't expect you know these things because you live in Florida where I live in the Houston area.

BarryH - are you still on the Liberty? A local Phoenix news station just contacted me and would like to speak to someone who is on the ship right now. They'd prefer to speak to someone who lives in Phoenix, Arizona, (or even other parts of Arizona), so if you know of anyone from my state who is on the ship, can you please have them post here or contact me? Or if you are willing to talk to another news station, Barry, please let me know. I don't know what the rules are regarding posting an email address or phone number...is that allowed in this case? I'll be watching this thread. Thanks!

"Fake News" is not a thing. That's something an idiot made up to create distrust in the media that he didn't want you to hear.

Is media sensationalized for views? Of course it is. Because people don't ******g watch it if it isn't. Is the flooding as bad as they are showing? Yes. Is it in all areas of Houston? No, and no station (from Fox to CNN, no matter what side you listen to) has ever claimed it to be. Of COURSE they're only going to put the rivers of water on TV...they're not going to focus on dry streets with undamaged property because THAT ISN'T NEWS.

PLENTY of areas in Houston are just fine. No one has ever claimed that wasn't the case. The reason we know that things look a little better today? THE NEWS.

Can we dissolve the insurance discussion please. As I said before every single claim is unique in itself as in the insurance industry there is not one size fits all. There are so many if ands buts...

Meanwhile TS Irma has developed and is projected on a west path to be outside the carribean in around one week.

I did not start the insurance discussion. However, there are people on the ships (or were on the ships) who read this, and they might be wondering what their insurance will or will not cover. I am not going to sit by and allow misleading statements go unchallenged.

That said, here is a couple of websites that are providing general information about insurance coverage related to Hurricane Harvey ...

Texas' No. 1 homeowners’ insurer responds to Harvey, offers tips ...

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2017/08/30/texas-no-1-homeowners-insurer-responds-to-harvey-o?eNL=59a6c7ea160ba0b9762295d1&utm_source=PC360_PersonalLinesPro&utm_medium=EMC-Email_editorial&utm_campaign=08302017&page=2

5 things to know about insurance coverage after Hurricane Harvey ...

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2017/08/29/5-things-to-know-about-insurance-coverage-after-hu?eNL=59a6c7ea160ba0b9762295d1&utm_source=PC360_PersonalLinesPro&utm_medium=EMC-Email_editorial&utm_campaign=08302017

I don't assume up to May of this year I worked for a Structural Engineer. Houston had a guilt of empty apartments they were making deals like 2 months free rent on a year's lease(the last two months)

Just like Katrina in 2008 Uncle Sam came to town and rented everything at the premium price. The good folks of New Orleans had high end apartments, for a year.

I don't expect you know these things because you live in Florida where I live in the Houston area.

At the minimum over 8000 of them? Highly doubtful.

If there were only 8,000 Houston would have sky high rental rates. A healthy housing market has about a 6-7% vacancy rate. There are far more than 8,000 empty apartments. I don't have numbers for just Houston, but in 2013 the Houston metro area had 213,300 vacant housing units. That was 8.9%. Not too bad but a definitely a buyers market.

https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/ahs/2013/factsheets/ahs13-8_Houston.pdf

BarryH - are you still on the Liberty? A local Phoenix news station just contacted me and would like to speak to someone who is on the ship right now. They'd prefer to speak to someone who lives in Phoenix, Arizona, (or even other parts of Arizona), so if you know of anyone from my state who is on the ship, can you please have them post here or contact me? Or if you are willing to talk to another news station, Barry, please let me know. I don't know what the rules are regarding posting an email address or phone number...is that allowed in this case? I'll be watching this thread. Thanks!

barry has been quiet. i suspect he got off the ship?

My sister has a neighbor that drove in to Houston this morning no problems. She lives in Tiki Island (Galveston)

My son went into the office in Sugar Land this morning to get his assignment he is headed to Corpus Christi to assess one of our projects.

Both airports have road access to them. They are holding off on flights because of all the rescue helicopters are in the air.

Do you know or could you find out what route that neighbor of your sisters took to get from Galveston to Houston? Was I-45 open?

My family and I are on the Sept. 3rd cruise and meeting my brother and his family down there and all indications are this is a go, so now I'm just trying to logistically figure out the best route to get down there. We fly into IAH and are staying at a hotel right by the airport, one of the Marriott properties (which I called yesterday and they confirmed they are open and never closed and are ready for us) and then I called the car rental company and they said they will open at noon coinciding with the airport, which they thought was tomorrow (Thursday).

Our Delta flight is still on, as best I can tell right now, assuming the airport opens on time, and according to what I'm seeing on the weather stations the storm is moving on and the next few days will be sunny, hopefully making the flooding go down.

Anyway, if you can share with me the route that they took, or if anyone could share the best route from IAH to the cruise terminal, that should be open on Saturday, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and we continue to pray for everyone down in Houston and the affected areas that things will improve quickly and that they might receive the help that they desperately need!

Yes, they did make major changes even though their house in the GNO area didn't flood. (They evacuated away from the city and then got stuck not being able to get back because of on going resue operations and the conditions of the destroyed new orleans area/lack of infrastructure). They wound up buying a house ten minutes from us after ten months in an apartment (they were elderly and we had numerous small kids, so they chose an apartment over living with us lol).

During the time New Orleans had no safe living conditions after the water went down-- it was ironic because *roads were open and clear* but there were no people in the area driving on them.

You can see how experience has taught me that open roads don't mean much in a disaster.

The residents will make do. My parents went back early after katrina (my DH is medical/first responder and got them in with him). They ate MREs from red cross and found out it takes 2.5 gallons of bottled water to take a crisis shower.

I too live in the New Orleans area. While our home did not flood we had a lot of wind damage. We could not get home for almost 2 weeks and no stores or gas stations were open. Basically a ghost town. Luckily we have family that live on the Northshore of Lake Ponchartrain, we stayed with them until we could get home. My prayers go out to the people in Houston.

Hey mister Doom & Gloom, Texas will get everyone a place to live, it may not be in Houston, but we take care of our citizens.

One Other thing be sure to turn in on Sunday one of us will have some Crow to eat, either I will be on the Liberty or at home. If I am on the ship I will take a photo just for you.

I agree. He has been terrific with communication this whole time.

It does seem that there are flooded cars though if he is asking for an insurance adjuster.

Only in one small part of one outdoor lot and a low number of cars. For the most part others are fine.

Update. Outdoor parking for Breeze and Liberty had some damaged cars. Indoor parking was fine. EZ Cruise parking needs to email car description and Lic plate #. He gives address on his site. I think some cars were hauled off to high ground until they were stoped because of storm.

Edited by Milwaukee Eight