Galveston weather concerns

We are flying into IAH, plan on staying in both Houston and Galveston for a few days, and will be on the Liberty of the Seas cruise departing on September 10th.

Any advice on what we should do and how the weather and flooding will affect us? What is the likelihood of the cruise being cancelled? Will we be OK with flying into IAH, finding available AirBNBs, and getting to Galveston by shuttle?

What would you do in this situation? Thanks!

I think this is directed at me from my post about my situation. If so, thank you <3 I feel horrible complaining about how we have been treated by RC when such devastation is happening. But RC should not be allowed to get away with how they are handling this situation. They could not stop the storm, nor can they save people's houses, but they CAN make this situation right between their company and their current and future guests/passengers.

Keep every receipt. You will get reimbursed by Royal as they told you to come. Copy this whole thread, there is plenty of proof here. You may have to call resolutions, be very polite, but ROAR! Good luck.

We are flying into IAH, plan on staying in both Houston and Galveston for a few days, and will be on the Liberty of the Seas cruise departing on September 10th.

Any advice on what we should do and how the weather and flooding will affect us? What is the likelihood of the cruise being cancelled? Will we be OK with flying into IAH, finding available AirBNBs, and getting to Galveston by shuttle?

First and foremost have a hotel booked for your pre cruise stay and confirm it ASAP. If you are staying in Galveston, you should be fine. If you want to head to Houston, I probably would not. Even then the water "might" be gone, there will be a lot of clean up, tear downs, lots of mosquitos.

Second, bookmark the following site:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

it will show you if there are still high waters/impassable lanes.

Third. I would recommend staying in and around Galveston as Houston has been hit really hard. Yes, Houston may have the main roads clear, but there will be a lot of clean up, tear down and rebuilding going on. And unfortunately with all of that chaos, there will be many devious people out there to swindle anyone for a buck. Just be on your guard. You should be fine. Hope you enjoy your trip :)

My uneducated guess is IAH will be operating as will the cruise (barring another system). If you don't already have a place to spend the night, you might be in trouble. I can assure you insurance companies are already mass booking hotels to house workers and displaced locals. Rental cars will be tight. I would guess if there are regular shuttles, those should be fine. See if you can get room asap if you don't have one. If you have one, reconfirm as soon as possible and make sure the place you have is open.

First and foremost have a hotel booked for your pre cruise stay and confirm it ASAP. If you are staying in Galveston, you should be fine. If you want to head to Houston, I probably would not. Even then the water "might" be gone, there will be a lot of clean up, tear downs, lots of mosquitos.

Second, bookmark the following site:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

it will show you if there are still high waters/impassable lanes.

Third. I would recommend staying in and around Galveston as Houston has been hit really hard. Yes, Houston may have the main roads clear, but there will be a lot of clean up, tear down and rebuilding going on. And unfortunately with all of that chaos, there will be many devious people out there to swindle anyone for a buck. Just be on your guard. You should be fine. Hope you enjoy your trip :)

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

Do you know if we will have issues with the outside amenities of the cruise? Like if unfortunately they are closed

My uneducated guess is IAH will be operating as will the cruise (barring another system). If you don't already have a place to spend the night, you might be in trouble. I can assure you insurance companies are already mass booking hotels to house workers and displaced locals. Rental cars will be tight. I would guess if there are regular shuttles, those should be fine. See if you can get room asap if you don't have one. If you have one, reconfirm as soon as possible and make sure the place you have is open.

Thank you! We were planning on booking an AirBnb. Has there been major damages to all homes in both Houston and Galveston or just the prior?

Thank you! We were planning on booking an AirBnb. Has there been major damages to all homes in both Houston and Galveston or just the prior?

It's predominantly in Houston rather than Galveston. But AirBnB is also being used to find homes for evacuees.

Keep every receipt. You will get reimbursed by Royal as they told you to come. Copy this whole thread, there is plenty of proof here. You may have to call resolutions, be very polite, but ROAR! Good luck.

I hope so, and I am really good at keeping things documenting between emails/texts/forums and now twitter. Yes, we have tried to keep receipts best we could. We ate/drank from the vending machine for about a day, so will need to track those charges on the credit card, lol! But then their credit card system went out and we paid cash for a bit, including stocking up on stuff at a gas station. Took a picture of those items because we had no receipt and the bill was fairly significant as we were stocking up on stuff Sunday afraid of the worst happening. The hotel bill, airfare, and other meals we had to eat at the hotel, or now are able to eat out nearby, are the major expenses. I have called RC and spoken to the "highest supervisor possible at this time". Was very calm and polite, just explaining the facts of the situation. Was told they were not giving any compensation for travel. That she did not have the authority to give me anything. That corporate has not given them any information regarding these situations except they are not offering anything. I asked for her supervisor and at that point she said no one was there to put on the phone, but she would take my info and refer me to a department. When I asked which department she said it wasn't a specific person. I said that's fine, but what department so I can ask for it the next time I call if I don't get a call back. She said it was (4) people who were taking this type of information. I would get a call back within 24-72hrs. I thanked her for her help, and said I am sorry for the abuse she has probably received the past many days, and how sad for her that her company has put them in this position. She sincerely said she was sorry for the situation my family is in and to stay safe while we try to get back home. So I would suggest, if you traveled here and got stuck, call RC and ask immediately for a supervisor. The minute I told the person I was a guest from the canceled Liberty cruise, stuck in Houston, and I wanted to speak to a supervisor, the original agent passed me on to the woman I spoke with. Be polite and know it is not the agents fault for what they are saying. My guess is the "call back in 24-72hrs" is because they are waiting to see how many people call asking for travel expenses due to the late notice of cancellation.

Wow! What a thread! I live on the west side of Houston and was on LOS a few weeks ago. Naturally, I am already dreaming of my next cruise. But after reading just some of this thread, I am unfortunately thinking that I will research and try to find another line with better customer service.

My heart and prayers go out to everyone affected by the storm.

RCCL website says that Hobby will re-open at 0800 tomorrow.

It is 9 hours old, but this is what the official Houston airport web site says

UPDATED 8/29/2017 at 2:00 p.m.

Commercial operations have ceased at both IAH and HOU until further notice due to severe weather. No inbound or outbound flights from either airport at this time.

And the main page for each airport currently says: "The airport is closed until further notice."

By the way, the RCCL notice also says:

"Royal Caribbean's Chief Meteorologist James Van Fleet has joined Liberty of the Seas today in Miami and will be sailing back with the vessel to Galveston."

How about this for a PR move - RCI sails Liberty back to Galveston (with provisions loaded in Miami) and turns into a shelter until the 9/10 sailing.

Then you find out months later that FEMA paid them 5x what they would've made on next week's cruise...

I think when we wake tomorrow we may be seeing the worse. The area around Beaumont has taken in 20" of rain today. Right now they are getting pounded! Unfortunately it's going to happen all night. This is going to be worse than Houston area sat night. This area may take in a 24 HR record for rainfall if they have not already. There are already several reports of people on roofs. My understanding is there is around 100k people in the surrounding area. In addition they are getting winds of 45-50 mph. The entire event is horrible but in the end the worse is going to be the Beaumont area along with Rockport area but all that will be discussed is Houston.

I hope so, and I am really good at keeping things documenting between emails/texts/forums and now twitter. Yes, we have tried to keep receipts best we could. We ate/drank from the vending machine for about a day, so will need to track those charges on the credit card, lol! But then their credit card system went out and we paid cash for a bit, including stocking up on stuff at a gas station. Took a picture of those items because we had no receipt and the bill was fairly significant as we were stocking up on stuff Sunday afraid of the worst happening. The hotel bill, airfare, and other meals we had to eat at the hotel, or now are able to eat out nearby, are the major expenses. I have called RC and spoken to the "highest supervisor possible at this time". Was very calm and polite, just explaining the facts of the situation. Was told they were not giving any compensation for travel. That she did not have the authority to give me anything. That corporate has not given them any information regarding these situations except they are not offering anything. I asked for her supervisor and at that point she said no one was there to put on the phone, but she would take my info and refer me to a department. When I asked which department she said it wasn't a specific person. I said that's fine, but what department so I can ask for it the next time I call if I don't get a call back. She said it was (4) people who were taking this type of information. I would get a call back within 24-72hrs. I thanked her for her help, and said I am sorry for the abuse she has probably received the past many days, and how sad for her that her company has put them in this position. She sincerely said she was sorry for the situation my family is in and to stay safe while we try to get back home. So I would suggest, if you traveled here and got stuck, call RC and ask immediately for a supervisor. The minute I told the person I was a guest from the canceled Liberty cruise, stuck in Houston, and I wanted to speak to a supervisor, the original agent passed me on to the woman I spoke with. Be polite and know it is not the agents fault for what they are saying. My guess is the "call back in 24-72hrs" is because they are waiting to see how many people call asking for travel expenses due to the late notice of cancellation.

James van Fleet (@jamesvanfleet), the man who told you to go there, wants to hear from you on Twitter. Seriously. Please contact him.

RCCL website says that Hobby will re-open at 0800 tomorrow.

I would be shocked if Hobby was to reopen at 8am, given how much water we still have here. Southwest says it's opening on Saturday at noon.

If Royal says it - it must be true.

Key words buried in all the verbiage are highlighted in red. Maximum in the Roam Right Preferred policy for Missed Connection is $500. Trip Delay maximum is $200/day up to a total of $1000 (five days). These two coverages do not include the full cost of the trip and probably would not cover just the additional airfare or hotel costs incurred, much less have any left over to pay for missed cruise days.

Read what your policy covers and what is covered under each of the DIFFERENT coverages. Some of the things you think that are covered under the two coverages listed above are actually covered under trip interruption coverage, which has a much higher limit.

MISSED CONNECTION COVERAGE

We will pay for Covered Expenses up to the amount in the

Schedule should you miss your cruise or tour departure

as a result of the cancellation or delay of 3 hours or

more of your regularly scheduled airline flight due to

adverse weather. For this benefit, Covered Expenses

means additional transportation expenses incurred to

join the departed cruise or tour, reasonable additional

Accommodation and meal expenses incurred en route to

catch up to the cruise or tour, and non-refundable cruise

or tour payments for the unused portion of your water or

land arrangements. This coverage is available if no other

coverage is provided by a Common Carrier or other party

at no cost to you, and if no coverage is available elsewhere

in the Policy.

TRAVEL DELAY COVERAGE

If you are delayed on your Trip for 6 hours or more, we will

reimburse you, up to the amount shown in the Schedule

for reasonable additional expenses incurred by you for

lodging Accommodations, meals, telephone calls, local

transportation, and additional vehicle parking charges and

additional pet kennel fees incurred due to the delay. We will

not pay benefits for expenses incurred after travel becomes

possible.

Travel Delay must be caused by or result from:

a. delay of a Common Carrier; or

b. loss or theft of your passport(s), travel documents

or money; or

c. Quarantine; or

d. hijacking; or

e. natural disaster or adverse weather; or

f. being directly involved in a documented traffic

accident while you are en route to departure; or

g. unannounced strike; or

h. a civil disorder; or

i. Sickness or Injury of you or a Traveling

Companion; or

j. death of a Traveling Companion.

TRIP CANCELLATION BENEFIT

Benefits will be paid, up to the amount in the Schedule, for

the forfeited, prepaid, non-refundable, non-refunded and

unused published Payments that you paid for your Trip, if

you are prevented from taking your Trip due to one of the

following unforeseeable Covered Events that occur before

departure on your Trip to you or your Traveling Companion,

while your coverage is in effect under this Policy.

In the event you used frequent flyer miles to arrange

air transportation for this Trip, and you cancel due to

a Covered Event, we will reimburse you for the cost to

reinstate your miles to your account, up to the amount in

the Schedule.

Should you elect to reschedule your Trip arrangements

instead of cancelling due to a Covered Event, in lieu of

providing benefits for the forfeited, prepaid, non-refundable,

non-refunded and unused published Payments, we will

pay for change fees charged by your supplier(s), up to the

amount in the Schedule.

In the event there is a change in the per person occupancy

rate for your pre-paid arrangements as a result of a

Traveling Companion canceling his or her Trip due to an

unforeseeable Covered Event when you do not cancel, we

will reimburse you for additional costs above the original

invoiced and pre-paid charge for your booking, up to the

amount in the Schedule, for Accommodations during the

Trip as a result of the change.

Covered Events:

1. The Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family

Member, your Traveling Companion or your Service

Animal. The Sickness or Injury must first commence

while your coverage is in effect under the Policy,

must require the in-person treatment by a Physician,

and must be so disabling in the written opinion

of a Physician as to prevent you from taking your

Trip (either because your condition prevents your

travel, or because your Family Member, Traveling

Companion or your Service Animal requires your

care);

2. Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations

resulting from adverse weather, mechanical

breakdown of the aircraft, ship, boat or motor coach

that you were scheduled to travel on, or organized

labor strikes that affect public transportation;

3. Being directly involved in a documented traffic

accident while en route to departure on your Trip;

4. Being hijacked or Quarantined;

5. Being required to serve on a jury, or required by a

court order to appear as a witness in a legal action

provided you, a Family Member or a Traveling

Companion is not a party to the legal action or

appearing as a law enforcement officer;

6. Your Home made Uninhabitable by fire, flood,

volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural

disaster;

7. Your Accommodations at your destination made

Uninhabitable due to fire, flood, volcano, earthquake,

hurricane or other natural disaster. We will only pay

benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days

after the event renders the destination Uninhabitable.

For the purpose of this coverage, Uninhabitable

means: (i) the building itself is unstable and there

is a risk of collapse in whole or in part; (ii) there is

exterior or structural damage allowing elemental

intrusion, such as rain, wind, hail or flood; or (iii)

immediate safety hazards have yet to be cleared,

such as debris on roofs or downed electrical lines.

In order to cancel your trip, you must have 4 days or

50% of your total Trip length or less remaining at the

time the destination is restored for use. Benefits are

not payable if the event occurs or if a hurricane is

named prior to or on your Trip Cancellation Coverage

Effective Date;

8. A documented theft of your passports or visas;

9. A mandatory evacuation (or public official evacuation

advisement in geographic areas where no mandatory

evacuation orders are issued by government

authorities) at your destination due to adverse

weather or natural disasters. We will only pay

after the evacuation order is issued. In order to

cancel your Trip, you must have 4 days or 50% of

your total Trip length or less remaining at the time the

mandatory evacuation ends;

10. Being called into active military service to provide aid

or relief in the event of a natural disaster;

11. Your previously granted military leave being revoked.

The leave must be approved prior to your coverage

becoming effective, and official written revocation

notice from your commanding officer will be required;

12. Your involuntary termination of employment or layoff

(or the involuntary termination or layoff of your parent

or guardian if you are a minor traveling alone), after

continuous employment with the same employer

for 1 year or more, provided the termination or

layoff occurs 14 days or more after your coverage

has taken effect. This benefit is not available to

temporary employees, independent contractors, or

self-employed persons;

13. A Terrorist Act which occurs in your Scheduled

Trip Departure City or in a city to which you are

scheduled to travel while on your Trip, and which

occurs within 30 days of your Scheduled Departure

Date, provided the city has not experienced a

Terrorist Act in the past 30 days prior to the effective

date of your coverage;

14. Your Host being unable to provide Accommodations

due to a life-threatening Sickness or Injury, or due

to death. Official documentation of the event will be

required;

15. The school where you attend must extend its

operating session beyond its predefined school year

due to unforeseeable events commencing during the

coverage effective period. The school year extension

dates must fall in your Trip dates in order for this

coverage to be available. Extensions due to extracurricular

or athletic events are not covered;

16. Being required to take an academic examination on

a date that has been fixed after your coverage was

purchased, and the examination date falls within your

Trip dates;

17. Being unable to undergo a vaccination or inoculation,

due to a medical reason, that is announced and

published as required for entry into a country of

destination after the effective date of your coverage.

The vaccination or inoculation must be unannounced

and unpublished to the public at the time your

coverage is purchased;

18. Receiving official notification of an organ match

available for immediate transplant, provided the

transplant is considered medically necessary, the

notification is received while coverage is in effect,

and in the written opinion of the Physician the

transplant surgery and/or recovery is so disabling as

to prevent you from taking the Trip;

19. Receiving a court-issued notice to attend an

Adoption Proceeding, provided you are not attending

as a condition of your employment and provided

the person being adopted is not you, your Traveling

Companion or your Family Member. The date of the

scheduled Adoption Proceeding must be announced

while your coverage is in effect and must be during

your Trip dates;

20. Receiving notice that your Adoption Proceeding

or adoption arrangements have been cancelled or

terminated, provided your Trip was for the purpose

of executing the adoption and provided the Adoption

Proceeding or adoption arrangement was confirmed

prior to your effective date.

TRIP INTERRUPTION BENEFIT

If your arrival on your Trip is delayed beyond your

Scheduled Departure Date, or if you are unable to continue

the Trip due to one of the unforeseeable Covered Events

listed below that occur during your Trip dates to you or

your Traveling Companion, we will reimburse you for

the unused, non-refundable land or water arrangements

prepaid to the Travel Supplier prior to departing on your

Trip, less any refunds paid or payable, plus one of the

following:

a. Additional transportation expenses incurred to

reach your scheduled destination if your departure

is delayed and you leave after the Scheduled

Departure Date and time; or

b. Additional transportation expenses incurred for

you to reach the final return destination of your

Trip; or

c. Additional transportation expenses incurred to

rejoin the Trip in progress from the point where

you interrupted your Trip.

We will also provide reimbursement for unused air

arrangements, less any refunds paid or payable, provided

that these are not flights scheduled to travel to your Trip

destination or flights scheduled to your origin of departure

on your Trip, and provided that these are not flights within

24 hours of your Scheduled Departure Date or Scheduled

Return Date.

Covered Events:

1. The Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family

Member, your Service Animal or your Traveling

Companion. The Sickness or Injury must first

commence while your Trip Interruption coverage

is in effect under the Policy, must require the inperson

treatment by a Physician, and must be so

disabling in the written opinion of a Physician as to

prevent you from taking your Trip (either because

your condition prevents your travel, or because

your Family Member, Traveling Companion or your

Service Animal requires your care);

2. Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations

resulting from adverse weather, mechanical

breakdown of the aircraft, ship, boat or motor coach

that you were scheduled to travel on, or organized

labor strikes that affect public transportation;

3. Being directly involved in a documented traffic

accident while en route to departure on your Trip;

4. Being hijacked or Quarantined;

5. Being required to serve on a jury, or required by a

court order to appear as a witness in a legal action

provided you, a Family Member or a Traveling

Companion is not a party to the legal action or

appearing as a law enforcement officer;

6. Your Home made Uninhabitable by fire, flood,

volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural

disaster;

7. Your Accommodations at your destination made

Uninhabitable due to fire, flood, volcano, earthquake,

hurricane or other natural disaster. We will only pay

after the event renders the destination Uninhabitable.

For the purpose of this coverage, Uninhabitable

means: (i) the building itself is unstable and there is a

risk of collapse in whole or in part; (ii) there is exterior

or structural damage allowing elemental intrusion,

such as rain, wind, hail or flood; or (iii) immediate

safety hazards have yet to be cleared, such as

debris on roofs or downed electrical lines. In order to

receive benefits under this coverage to remain home

or to return home when the destination is restored for

use, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Trip

length or less remaining at the time the destination

is restored for use. Benefits are not payable if the

event occurs or if the hurricane is named prior to or

on your Trip Cancellation Coverage Effective Date;

8. A documented theft of your passports or visas;

9. A mandatory evacuation (or public official evacuation

advisement in geographic areas where no mandatory

evacuation orders are issued by government

authorities) at your destination due to adverse

weather or natural disasters. We will only pay

after the evacuation order is issued. In order to

receive benefits under this coverage to remain home

or to return home when the mandatory evacuation

ends, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Trip

length or less remaining on your Trip at the time the

mandatory evacuation ends;

10. Being called into active military service to provide aid

or relief in the event of a natural disaster;

11. Your previously granted military leave being revoked.

The leave must be approved prior to your coverage

becoming effective, and official written revocation

notice from your commanding officer will be required;

12. Your involuntary termination of employment or layoff

(or the involuntary termination or layoff of your parent

or guardian if you are a minor traveling alone), after

continuous employment with the same employer

for 1 year or more, provided the termination or

layoff occurs 14 days or more after your coverage

has taken effect. This benefit is not available to

temporary employees, independent contractors, or

self-employed persons;