Galveston weather concerns

I agree. He has been terrific with communication this whole time.

It does seem that there are flooded cars though if he is asking for an insurance adjuster.

Only in one small part of one outdoor lot and a low number of cars. For the most part others are fine.

Update. Outdoor parking for Breeze and Liberty had some damaged cars. Indoor parking was fine. EZ Cruise parking needs to email car description and Lic plate #. He gives address on his site. I think some cars were hauled off to high ground until they were stoped because of storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

Port of Galveston communication has been stellar. All the cruise lines could learn a lesson from them.

Still haven't gotten a single email from RCI about this weekends cruise..

Literally seconds after I posted that:

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Update from Royal Caribbean: Your Liberty of the Seas sailing on 09/03 is currently scheduled to sail as planned. We continue to meet regularly with the Port of Galveston on their reopening, and will send you daily updates at approximately 1 pm EDT. For additional information please visit royalcaribbean.com. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

If there were only 8,000 Houston would have sky high rental rates. A healthy housing market has about a 6-7% vacancy rate. There are far more than 8,000 empty apartments. I don't have numbers for just Houston, but in 2013 the Houston metro area had 213,300 vacant housing units. That was 8.9%. Not too bad but a definitely a buyers market.

https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/ahs/2013/factsheets/ahs13-8_Houston.pdf

That includes houses and housing was still slumped in 2013. I'm sure they'll find some housing for people, but it's not going to be enough to accommodate the 10% displaced from flood damaged homes.

Hey mister Doom & Gloom, Texas will get everyone a place to live, it may not be in Houston, but we take care of our citizens.

One Other thing be sure to turn in on Sunday one of us will have some Crow to eat, either I will be on the Liberty or at home. If I am on the ship I will take a photo just for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I won't be jealous of anyone cruising a crappy Caribbean itinerary on a crappy cruise line.

From the RCI web site:

August 30, 2017 @ noon (next update at 7:00p.m. ET)

After departing from PortMiami last night, Liberty of the Seas is on her way back to Galveston, scheduled to arrive on Friday morning, pending port conditions. At this time, the Port of Galveston and the Galveston ship channel remains closed to all traffic per the U.S. Coast Guard. We are in close contact with these authorities to confirm the opening of the Port and Liberty’sfinal arrival into Galveston.

For those guests booked on Liberty’s Sunday, September 3 sailing, we expect that we will sail as scheduled. Please continue to visit our website to get the latest information regarding the status of the Port of Galveston.

For those guests travelling to Liberty, we suggest that you review the latest information on road conditions at the Texas Department of Transportation’s website – http://conditions.drivetexas.org/current.

While George Bush International Airport and Hobby Airport are still closed, the FAA’s latest update states that both airports will reopen tomorrow, Thursday, August 31 at 12:00 p.m. CT. We encourage you to visit www.fly2houston.com for the latest updates.

I never said you would be jealous, your statement earlier was their was no way the Liberty we leave on this cruise on 9/03

So why are you monitoring a site just for crappy cruises unless all you want to do is spread doom & gloom. Your wrong in so many ways, first that I concern about is the Port of Houston won't be open on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Houston housing market certainly wasn't slumped in 2013, that was when I moved here, interest rates were really low and everyone and their mother was moving here, so it was a complete free-for-all. It wasn't unusual for your house to be sold before your first open house was over if you were in the right area.

Currently there are a lot of empty apartments out in the suburbs, they typically remain empty because there is little/no public transportation outside of the city, or they have short term tenants who are waiting for their new property to be built. There are probably 1,000 empty apartments within a 5 mile radius of my house.

In all likelihood, a large number of people will simply go and stay with family and friends, especially if the damage is not too bad.

The Houston housing market certainly wasn't slumped in 2013, that was when I moved here, interest rates were really low and everyone and their mother was moving here, so it was a complete free-for-all. It wasn't unusual for your house to be sold before your first open house was over if you were in the right area.

Currently there are a lot of empty apartments out in the suburbs, they typically remain empty because there is little/no public transportation outside of the city, or they have short term tenants who are waiting for their new property to be built. There are probably 1,000 empty apartments within a 5 mile radius of my house.

what does this have to do with cruising?

That isn't going to happen. In fact the federal government had regulations in place that when infrastructure was rebuilt using federal funds, it had to be rebuilt to withstand floods. The president signed an executive order reversing those regulations ten days before Harvey.

Also, Texans don't want "The Man" telling them what they need to do, so they don't have building codes to protect against floods.

And since I am posting links, it was well known that Houston was going to have huge floods at some point. Here is an article from The Texas Tribune published in 2016 saying that it isn't if, but when Houston and the surrounding area will be devastated by massive flooding.

I don't post any of this to say that the deserve it or that it is their fault or to make light their suffering. Just to say that they aren't going to rebuild any differently.

This is very true - Houston doesn't like federal money, and doesn't like being told what to do.

However - since we've had so many floods recently, city of Houston permitting department and several insurance companies have told people that they won't be allowed to rebuild in certain areas if this is the third or fourth time they've been flooded, or they have to pay to have the house elevated if they want to stay where they are.

And feel free to ignore my post if it bothers you so much Kathy.

Based on their performance last week I don't believe anything RCI says about the upcoming cruise. So I don't give their statement any value.

But, I was certain the 9/3 cruise would not happen give the forecasts, but the forecasts were wrong (I think I gave it a 90/10 chance). It stopped raining much sooner than Thursday and there was much less rain than predicted. I now think the cruise will happen.

The window people will have for getting on a flight will be small and I wonder if everyone will be able to get there and I wonder if there will be places for everyone to stay the night before. I also wonder if someone is unable to get a flight and can't get to the ship if RCI will accommodate them. Two weeks ago I would have said they would, but now I doubt they will.

This is very true - Houston doesn't like federal money, and doesn't like being told what to do.

However - since we've had so many floods recently, city of Houston permitting department and several insurance companies have told people that they won't be allowed to rebuild in certain areas if this is the third or fourth time they've been flooded, or they have to pay to have the house elevated if they want to stay where they are.

And feel free to ignore my post if it bothers you so much Kathy.

Well if they don't like Federal money, why are they asking for it?