RCCL Recommended Gold Mine Jewelers in Falmouth

iuki

A few years ago my husband purchased a beautiful Marc Henry alexandrite and diamond ring for me for our 50th wedding anniversary. MH's jewelry collection of alexandrites are set in 18-carat gold. The owner of Gold Mine offered to resize the ring and to come back within the hour.

My solitaire engagement ring was too large, so I finally decided to have the alexandrite ring and my engagement ring soldered together to keep it from spinning all the time.

When we picked up the rings from our jeweler, he told us that whoever sized my alexandrite ring used sterling silver and NOT gold to resize my ring. He even stated that the silver was starting to tarnish.

We will be reporting this to RCCL since Gold Mine is on their list. There is also a Gold Mine Jewelry store in St. Kitts that is owned by the same person and managed by his son.

As a precaution, do not have any jewelry sized in the Caribbean, as I do not know if this is common practice there or just an isolated incident.

We're leaving on a cruise in November, and I will let them know of our experience.

The only reason we purchased the alexandrite in the Caribbean is because we could not find any jewelry stores that keep them in stock. You can only order by catalogue. There are some gems and stones that are only available in the Caribbean.

Since we are not jewelers, we felt that purchasing from stores recommended by RCCL is better than purchasing from unknown stores. However, we are done purchasing jewelry on cruises.

Just wanted to let people know that if you do purchase jewelry in the Caribbean, take the jewelry home to have your local jeweler resize your purchase and to avoid Gold Mine Jewelers in Falmouth and St. Kitts.

RCCL may not care, but if we don't let them know, nothing will definitely be done. Afterall, it is also RCCL's reputation that is being tarnished (pun intended LOL).

• 1 year later...

IUKI--We have purchased two alexandrite rings while on cruises.  One in Jamaica and one in St. Kitts.  I love, love them both.  You are right, we could not find this stone at any of the jewelers where we live in Ohio.  I just lost a small diamond from the one we purchased in St. Kitts and was looking to see how I might get this taken care of.  We are set to cruise again in a couple of weeks but not to St. Kitts or Jamaica so I cannot take the right to them myself.  I will also be letting RC know of this issue to see how they suggest we handle. Please let me know if you get any answers from them on your issue.  I will keep you updated on my issue if you would like.  I hope you enjoy your alexandrite as much as I do.  They are beautiful and one of my birthstones for being a June baby (alexandrite, pearl and moonstone).