Have You Ever Regretted Sharing a Private Tour or Ride With an Unknown Fellow Passeng

jasm8449

One point is to stay clear of the DH and DW who promote themselves very highly. They usually do TA’s , and say there are only going to be a smaller number of people and then increase it. DW is usually late to the meeting place. Make sure you do not sit in her seat, as she will actually yell and tell you to go to the back of the bus! Just do your homework!!! I made the stupid mistake and learned my lesson. Oh, and if you book at least one, the couple will offer to guide you for free...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One way to avoid this scenario (besides putting together your own private tour), is to clarify the number of pax and type of vehicle. You could be clear you will only book if the number is 6, 8 or 10 people max depending on your preference.

I have seen people filling bus loads and you wonder if they are getting a kick back from the tour guide. I have put together tons of small private tours and always divide the costs evenly between the participants including me. I am trying to create unique private tours, not make money off of other passengers.

I also believe it is against CC rules to promote these for profit tours, but I have no doubt some do this quietly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We never leave anything to chance by having prospective members just sign up with the tour company. We feel it’s very important to have complete control over who is part of our group. The group also stays together.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We do the same as you, but there is definitely a group of people who sign up with a tour company and direct others on the roll call to contact the tour company directly. Their intent is to save money on tours and also take no risk in having to pay in full if others do not show up. I have met these types on board and they general disappear from the roll call after posting, because again their goal is just to save money instead of taking a cruise line tour.

We do the same as you, but there is definitely a group of people who sign up with a tour company and direct others on the roll call to contact the tour company directly. Their intent is to save money on tours and also take no risk in having to pay in full if others do not show up. I have met these types on board and they general disappear from the roll call after posting, because again their goal is just to save money instead of taking a cruise line tour.

I am one of those types who direct others interested in joining a tour to the provider. You are correct - my goal is to save money on tours with no risk to me. (Though I am active on the roll call until I leave for the cruise). This is because of two experiences I have had in the past.

One - we arranged a shared cab with another couple through the role call. Itinerary agreed upon, driver/guide arranged. On day of tour waited/wasted an hour for other couple who never showed up. That evening contacted them and was told they decided the night before not to join us and went with a group they shared dinner with the night before. Doubled our cost AND lost an hour.

Two - arranged a small group of 8. One couple failed to show up. The other couples paid the original shared rate but refused to pick up the part of the cost for the no-shows. I ended up paying for 3 people.

For those of you who have never had a problem I wish you continued luck on all future tours, but I will continue to be one of those types...

I've never had a problem with people not showing up for a tour. I do all of the planning off the roll call and only mention it there to inform the group of an opening. I get everyone's email address and cabin number and keep in touch prior to the cruise and leave a note at their cabin a few days ahead. We also meet on board and exit the ship together; if someone's not there I can call their cabin easily.

When we're cruising someplace port intensive with a lot of expensive private tours, like Europe, I usually mention on the roll call that no-shows should cover their fair share of the cost of the tour. Of course, there's no way to enforce it but at least it plants a seed that there's an obligation to the group. I also collect the money while we're still on the transportation so that once we're back at the port, everyone can just head back to the ship without a lot of fuss and bother. In case anyone's wondering about potential profit on my part, they can watch me turn the entire wad of cash over to the driver or guide.

Myself and another person had organized many private tours for our British Isles cruise from our Roll Call.

We had an all day tour from Glasgow to the Edinburgh Tattoo. We were advised from the year before Roll Call to leave before the solo piper. We had a 90 minute drive and we had to be onboard before the ship's tours.

We had purchased all 16 tickets together so we could leave as a group. We left as the solo piper started. We had 1 person complained most of the time back as he want to see the solo piper. We could hear the piper as we walked to the coach. He put a damper on an enjoyable time.

I have organized small group (6-12 people max) tours through the roll call and joined others. We have never had the slightest problem and have met some great people. One time a lady rudely questioned me about the cost I quoted her for a tour. When the tour company sent her info the balance due did not include the hefty deposit I had already paid even though I told everyone that it was required and I was willing to pay it. I eventually sent her proof I had paid the deposit but it did put a bad taste in my mouth.

Recently I was setting up a two day tour and asked on the roll call if another two people would like to join. I had already booked our guide who came very highly rated. A lady immediately replied that she and her husband would love to share this tour. However, over the next four days it became obvious that she was completely trying to change the itinerary and was simply trying to take advantage of our having booked a guide. (This was a port where a guide is almost mandatory and the best ones are booked well in advance.) Eventually I had to tell her I thought they would be happier on another tour and kept the tour for just ourselves. Sadly, we had to cancel this cruise and of course let the tour guide know well in advance.

Having read many of the previous post I may consider adding a few disclaimers when putting a tour together in the future. We always, always meet on the ship about 30 minutes prior to the tour starting and disembark as a group. I've not always loved having to get up a little earlier to do this but in the long run it has been well worth it when someone realizes they have forgotten something and has to run back to their cabin. It has also been a good time for me to pay the person organizing the trip (and vice versa) if the tour operator has requested one payment.

quote:

"One - we arranged a shared cab with another couple through the role call. Itinerary agreed upon, driver/guide arranged. On day of tour waited/wasted an hour for other couple who never showed up. That evening contacted them and was told they decided the night before not to join us and went with a group they shared dinner with the night before. Doubled our cost AND lost an hour.

Two - arranged a small group of 8. One couple failed to show up. The other couples paid the original shared rate but refused to pick up the part of the cost for the no-shows. I ended up paying for 3 people."

I am so sorry you had this happen...sounds like the 2 different times those folks were totally rude, with no manners and no consideration for others.:(.......sometimes you really just have to shake your head and wonder

about people:eek:

quote:

I am so sorry you had this happen...sounds like the 2 different times those folks were totally rude, with no manners and no consideration for others.:(.......sometimes you really just have to shake your head and wonder

about people:eek:

Thanks - I should add that I've been cruising for over 20 years!