First cruise done!! - Addicted!! What to do next!!! Royal Caribbean??

Hello,

We have just returned home from our first ever cruise. We sailed on the NCL getaway for a Baltic cruise. We remain a little unsure about NCL, hence the question on this forum.

We loved the holiday, it was truly fantastic. I'm looking to book another ASAP most likely the Mediterranean or Adriatic

If anyone has any thoughts on NCL versus Royal Caribbean in particular food and drink. We loved the UBP on Getaway but the food not so much.

The Symphony of seas is sailing, what's a ship of that size like??

Also the Vison of seas is sailing, if anyone has any thoughts about that ship.

Big thanks in advance!!!

I'm currently doing a review of our cruise.

Hello,

We have just returned home from our first ever cruise. We sailed on the NCL getaway for a Baltic cruise. We remain a little unsure about NCL, hence the question on this forum.

We loved the holiday, it was truly fantastic. I'm looking to book another ASAP most likely the Mediterranean or Adriatic

If anyone has any thoughts on NCL versus Royal Caribbean in particular food and drink. We loved the UBP on Getaway but the food not so much.

The Symphony of seas is sailing, what's a ship of that size like??

Also the Vison of seas is sailing, if anyone has any thoughts about that ship.

Big thanks in advance!!!

I'm currently doing a review of our cruise.

I am looking forward to the answers.

What was it about NCL that you are unsure about?

And what is UBP?

How much were the drinks/drink packages on NCL?

Depends what you are looking for. We enjoyed Vision of the Seas very much, however, it does not have all the bells and whistles of an Oasis class ship. Love the visibility and serenity of the adult (16 and over) Solarium. Food was fine for us.

Hi,

UBP was the drinks package, that was given when we booked the cruise. Any drink under $15 dollars was covered apart from mini bar.

As it was our first cruise, we have no comparisons against others food quality. Not fans of the buffet set up, though we did visit late at night for pizza. It was to busy at breakfast, and I found the food cold. But the three main dining rooms are served by the same kitchen again food warm at best, it's just pre plated buffet food. The speciality restaurants were much better. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

Thanks

Hi,

UBP was the drinks package, that was given when we booked the cruise. Any drink under $15 dollars was covered apart from mini bar.

As it was our first cruise, we have no comparisons against others food quality. Not fans of the buffet set up, though we did visit late at night for pizza. It was to busy at breakfast, and I found the food cold. But the three main dining rooms are served by the same kitchen again food warm at best, it's just pre plated buffet food. The speciality restaurants were much better. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

Thanks

I don't think you will find it much different on any of the mass market cruise lines, including Royal. You might want to consider one of the luxury cruise lines. Of course, the price will be significantly higher.

Hi,

Thanks

I can only speak for the Explore of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas and the Majesty of the Seas. It is pretty much the same. Pre-plated buffet food. What else can be done? They are feeding thousands of people. So that's understandable. Personalized orders would be impossible. Although they do cater for medical reason i.e. diabetics/gluten etc.You wouldn't want the pizza on the EOS or AOS haha. The specialty restaurants are a bit better. I hope if you try RCCL you do a review and compare the 2 lines. It would be refreshing to here it from someone who has only sailed both lines once.

Here are my thoughts about the 2 cruise lines

The ship itself is beautiful never felt crowded we were on 07/30/17 Oasis of the Seas for 7 nights we had just an inside cabin but it was nice.

but wow did we miss NCL food breakfast was so bad not a lot of variety at all the only place we like was Johnny rockets which was an egg sandwich. buffet was just ok nothing exciting

lunch was a little better park café had a roast beef sandwich but after 2 days in a row we wanted something different and unless you wanted to pay the only thing you had was the Buffett or hotdogs which were just ok the dinning room on sea days was only open for 45 minutes not sure but ncl seems longer then that so we kept missing it lol

dinner's in the main dinning room were most nights good had a few where I didn't like it at all

service was great every time. we did Giovanni's one night and it was good but not great

but here is what drove us crazy if we wanted anything after 9 there nothing but pizza and it smells great and then you take a bit and it taste like frozen pizza but we fell for the smell every time lol.

we came back from shore one day and we missed our dinner time so we went to the buffet and it was so bad we are so spoiled with NCL there buffet is really good.

I know food is different for everyone but in my eyes NCL wins with the variety of food they have.

my kids could not get ice cream after 8 or 830 every night because it is closed so all that is available is ben and jerry's which you have to pay

my kids are teenagers and they said if you could take a RCCL ship and have NCL run them you would have the perfect cruise line

we like both cruise lines but will give NCL a nudge higher IMHO

Try a short cruise out of Southampton, a three or five day to Europe. Royal and P&O do the tasters.

Just to get a look at a ship P&O and Cunard offer ships visits at Southampton.

Personally I would say a 3 day cruise out of Southampton would be enough to put you off cruising for life!! Unless you like Hen parties and stag parties.......:eek:

I would always recommend cruising from a foreign port to get the mix of nationalities. Otherwise you may as well just go to the cafe at Tesco...;). P&O are very very 'English'. Again I could use the Tesco comparison....

Any Oasis class ship will be incredible. Symphony will be brand new, and have the badge of being the largest ship in the world and sailing a short season from Barcelona next summer but at the moment the prices are very expensive IMHO. But if you can afford it they I would say go for it. She is so well laid out you will never feel crowded. If you are sailing with kids then there is tons for them to do. There are enough stylish bars and restaurants to keep adults entertained too.

I have also been on Breakaway and was impressed. As she is quite new I think you should stick to the newer ships.

Vision is a smaller older ship - very nice feeling but after Breakaway you may feel she is a little 'tired'.

Jewel and Brilliance should both be in the Med again next summer - they have a nice layout.

Alternatively you can also look at Celebrity. Their Solstice class ships are very elegant and stylish. Not so much for children though.

Hi...We have sailed Freedom of the seas twice,Oasis of the seas three times and Allure of the seas once...loved all of the cruises...good in all areas....excellent in some....

Have just got off NCL Epic today and there is ,in my family's opinion NO comparison..RCL win hands down...

Service is mixed,food poor,layout of ship doesn't work,some dreadful staff..some good points though..loved the Epic Beatles band...truly great entertainment although that is subject to opinion...cruise was cheaper and at the end of the day you get what you pay for.....

I've sailed Majesty, Explorer and Mariner and loved it.

Just done a Med cruise on the NCL Epic and not impressed with ship. The bathrooms where shocking and flow of the ship was bitty. The food was really good.

I think I chose the wrong ship to sail with NCL.

I've come back to Royal to do Oasis in December and Symphony next May.

I prefer the layout of the ships and entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a short cruise out of Southampton, a three or five day to Europe. Royal and P&O do the tasters.

Just to get a look at a ship P&O and Cunard offer ships visits at Southampton.

Saying this as nicely as I can...

I would say that the environment and clientele on any 3 to 4 day cruise on any cruise line on any ship is distinctly different from a 7+ day cruise on any cruise line on any ship. Taking a 3 day cruise to see how you like a particular line could be a misrepresentation of what you might see on a longer cruise.

We were on Harmony in the Med last summer and that totally sold us on cruising. Had done two previously and liked it just fine but LOVED Harmony. We did the beverage plan and also ended up buying some of the specialty dining packages and thought the food was very good. One night at MDR and the food was very good. Only "meh" food we had was at the Mexican restaurant. We loved Grease. Try Symphony if you can! I think it will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Saying this as nicely as I can...

I would say that the environment and clientele on any 3 to 4 day cruise on any cruise line on any ship is distinctly different from a 7+ day cruise on any cruise line on any ship. Taking a 3 day cruise to see how you like a particular line could be a misrepresentation of what you might see on a longer cruise.

^^^🤣[emoji23][emoji28] exactly what I said! A very different clientele....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've sailed 3 times, and have two more coming up at the end of the month, on Oasis class ships--but only Oasis and Allure. We love them. Our most recent experience at Chops (specialty steak house) on Oasis was probably the best we've had on a ship, and we've been in quite a few different ships' Chops restaurants. Our main dining room experience was definitely the best we've had--I, like you, set considerable stock in having hot food served hot and cold served cold, and that's what we got. We were on Liberty of the Seas not long before the last Oasis sailing, and on Liberty we experienced sort of cafeteria food in the main dining room. I don't know if we just got lucky on the Oasis or if everyone was raving about the food being good. I'm, of course, hoping to find the same quality on Allure later this month....we'll see.

We've been on Vision twice, once for a trans-Atlantic, and we'll be on her again over the holidays. We like the Vision very much.

That said, there is no comparison to the Oasis class: they are, quite simply, totally different. Our first time on the Oasis class, we went just to say we'd done it; we expected it to be crowded, and we thought we wouldn't like it. WE LOVED IT! The first observation was that it didn't seem as crowded as smaller ships (Freedom class on down): the ships are so big and there is so much to do that people just naturally "spread themselves out" and crowds just aren't a problem. (The only exceptions being the promenade and Windjammer (cafeteria style food on an upper deck).

The entertainment on an Oasis ship is stellar: a full length Broadway show (and well done), a diving show, an ice-skating show, an aerial show........you just can't find all that on a smaller ship. There's a full-sized carousel; there's a separate hot-dog stand; there's a pub; there's a wine bar; there's an ice cream shop; there's a cup-cake decorating shop; there's a Johnny Rockets diner; there are pools and pools, and water slides (big ones); there's a zip line; there are two rock-climbing walls; there's a flow rider in one of the pools, .......the list goes on and on. It's just not possible to have all that on a small ship like the Vision--though we are fond of her.

The limitation, of course, is that Oasis class ships are so big, most ports are out of the question for them. For me, being on an Oasis class ship is about the ship itself, not the ports. The Vision, of course, has many ports available to her.

We have a lot of nights with Royal, quite a few with Celebrity, and some with Holland.

The lines all vary...but cruising with any of them is certainly worth doing. : )