Civitavecchia to Tarquinia- shuttle + Bus info?

kevinyork

We've done Rome many times now and would like to visit Tarquinia on our Friday call at Civitavecchia in two weeks.

Been searching for ages now but cannot narrow down the practicalities. I have the Cotral bus timetables which show the bus leaving from in front of the Cathedral in Civitavecchia and buying the tickets from the stall opposite McDonald's. However, we have my Mum who is a part time wheelchair user but can board a bus and walk short distances. The port shuttle from the ship seems to drop off at the slightly edge of town tourist info by Largo Della Pace which would mean a walk all the way back to pretty much close to the port entrance.

Does anyone know if this is the case or if there is an easier way. The port mobility site seems to suggest the cruise shuttles may go to that drop off then make a stop at "Molo del Bicchiere (pier)" which sounds a bit like the best option.

If I have understood it correctly do we just stay on the shuttle and it will return and make a stop at the pier (presumably near the fort?).

Hoping someone can assist.

Kev.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bus to Tarquinia makes a stop on Via XVI Settembre just past the corner of Via Cardona, if you look on a google map you'll see that this is just two-tenths of a mile from the shuttle bus stop at Largo della Pace. There is a place to purchase bus tickets right near the shuttle drop off.

The bus to Tarquinia makes a stop on Via XVI Settembre just past the corner of Via Cardona, if you look on a google map you'll see that this is just two-tenths of a mile from the shuttle bus stop at Largo della Pace. There is a place to purchase bus tickets right near the shuttle drop off.

Thanks for the quick and excellent response. Do you know what we look for to identify the place to buy tickets? Also do we get off the bus from Tarquinia at the same place on the way back?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin

Euro Cruiser has given sound advice as usual.

The place near the Largo dellla Pace shuttle drop off certainly sells tickets for the town shuttle to the station but im am not sure whether they sell Cotral tickets. We walked towards Via XVI Settembre and right on the corner there is a small newsagent that definitely does sell Cotral tickets. Make sure you are clear you want tickets to Tarquinia as at first when I asked if he sold bus tickets he assumed I meant for the town bus and he said he did not.

The bus stop is only a short distance from here after crossing the road. Although there is the usual road markings on the day we went cars were parked there making it not easy to see and there is only a small bus stop sign (no shelter).

We had to watch out for the bus coming and walk out through the parked cars to flag it down.

The bus drops you off right by the tourist office where the lady was super helpful..she gave us town plans and marked suggested routes...and checked we knew the times of the return buses recommending that we didnt rely on the last one.

As it happens the return bus we went for never turned up and we had to wait over an hour for the next one.

The museum is right across the road from the tourist office but the necropolis is on the outskirts of town...much further away than the town map implies and beyond your mothers abilities from what you have said. There is a free bus shuttle but it seems to run quite infrequently. Again the tourist office has all the details.

By the way you can buy tickets from the driver on the bus but they were E7.00 and only E1.40 from the newsagent. (1995 prices) .

On return the bus stops just before the junction where the newsagents is, so it is a slightly shorter walk back to Largo della Pace for the shuttle.

Kevin

I have just had a look on Google Street View. It looks like the newsagent/bar on the corner had closed...at least it was all shuttered as of August 2016.....there now appears to be a tabacconist directly opposite the bus stop. They invariably sell bus tickets.