Stockholm on your own

NannaRose

Hi

We have booked the hoho bus which includes entrance to the Abba museum (big fan:D)

This was through Viator using the official 'Red City Sightseeing Bus'. We also hope to do the Vasa museum and then some time in the old town...is all this possible given the time we have?

So that we could have the maximum time in Stockholm we also booked the 'Stockholm on your own excursion' through the ship. While it may seem expensive I thought the longer stay in the city and guaranteed return to ship not to mention peace of mind justified this. We have booked a two day tour in St Petersburg independent of the ship and then plan to do our own thing in the other ports. I just wanted to see what others thought of the transfer into Stockholm and if I really have made the right decision. What has others done?

In Stockhold we walked into town (about 10 mins) then caught the ferry across to the Vasa museum. The the ferry back and we wandered around. Of course this depends on which pier your ship docks at

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry, yes should have stated we dock in Nynashamn.

NCL Getaway in Sockholm October 5th.

Nynäshamn is not close to the city. Abba museum and Wasa museum is a 10 min walk between eachother.

Where will the tour drop you off/pick you up?

Stockholm is my home town, ask me anything you want to know!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Hi

We have booked the hoho bus which includes entrance to the Abba museum (big fan:D)

This was through Viator using the official 'Red City Sightseeing Bus'. We also hope to do the Vasa museum and then some time in the old town...is all this possible given the time we have?

So that we could have the maximum time in Stockholm we also booked the 'Stockholm on your own excursion' through the ship. While it may seem expensive I thought the longer stay in the city and guaranteed return to ship not to mention peace of mind justified this. We have booked a two day tour in St Petersburg independent of the ship and then plan to do our own thing in the other ports. I just wanted to see what others thought of the transfer into Stockholm and if I really have made the right decision. What has others done?

I believe that you should have more than enough time to see the ABBA, Vasa, and a few other sites in Stockholm.

However, since it was our last port of call, and didn't want to have any issued doing it ourselves with the port 50-60 minutes away, we did the ship's Vasa + Leisure Time. We visited the Vasa museum (it is a must-see), then the bus dropped us off near the Royal Palace and the guide walked us to a nearby square outside of the Nobel museum.

We had considered going to the ABBA museum as well (and we did pass it on the bus) - I figured it was about one and a quarter miles away, and there would have been plenty of time to get there by walking and definitely by cab (we had a bit over 3 1/2 hours to ourselves to explore).

However . . . . once the day came and we were actually in the city, we were exhausted after a full week of nonstop touring. We are a fairly active group (two adults, a teen, and a tween). What we wound up doing is after taking a tour through the Nobel museum and watching the changing of the guard, we had some lunch and then sat for almost two hours in the shade by a fountain enjoying the nice day (and there were not very many nice days over the course of this vacation where we would have been able to do so).

Just a note, while on the way back on the bus, the tour guide began giving us some information and my DD17 said that within 5 minutes most of the people on the bus were asleep.

Just something to think about.

I was in Stockholm for several days this summer, so this is more general advice than specific to NCL. As previously mentioned, the Abba Museum and Vasa Museum are in walking distance to each other and it is an easy walk. We spent more time in Vasa than we expected, the exhibits were good. That being said if you set limits on your time you should be fine. I would recommend buying Vasa tickets in advance online. We also bought tickets for the HOHO bus but did not have a great experience there. I would say primarily as a sightseeing tour it is ok. However, if you are planning to use it primarily as transportation, it is not worth it and is too inconsistent. Finally, while I know it is not for everyone, we used Uber with great success in Stockholm.

Hi

On the Getaway back in May, the ship docked in Nynäshamn rather than Stockholm. I did not learn of the port change until about ten days before the cruise. My original plan was to take the HOHO in Stockholm, which NCL sold, and then get off at the ABBA museum. With the change in itinerary, NCL provided a shuttle service to Stockholm and honored my purchase for the HOHO. I think the shuttle was $50, NCL did not charge me again because I bought the HOHO ticket from them. The drop off point for the shuttle was at or near the beginning point of the HOHO. The ABBA and Vasa museums are in a different part of the city and it took a while to get to the ABBA museum.

I purchased my ticket to the ABBA museum before I traveled to Copenhagen and that saved some time. The Vasa museum is just down the street, about a 10 minute walk. Both were outstanding.

I felt a bit hurried because we needed to be back at the shuttle drop off point to travel back to Nynäshamn. I was only able to visit both museums. Guess I will have to go back :).

Nynäshamn is not close to the city. Abba museum and Wasa museum is a 10 min walk between eachother.

Where will the tour drop you off/pick you up?

Stockholm is my home town, ask me anything you want to know!

I loved my brief visit to Stockholm and hope to return in 2018!

Yes Travel R it takes the stress out of it all. Do you remember what time bus lifted you again for return trip? I know in order to get the train back in time we would have to leave about 3.30 and so am hoping we have about extra time this way.

I believe that you should have more than enough time to see the ABBA, Vasa, and a few other sites in Stockholm.

However, since it was our last port of call, and didn't want to have any issued doing it ourselves with the port 50-60 minutes away, we did the ship's Vasa + Leisure Time. We visited the Vasa museum (it is a must-see), then the bus dropped us off near the Royal Palace and the guide walked us to a nearby square outside of the Nobel museum.

We had considered going to the ABBA museum as well (and we did pass it on the bus) - I figured it was about one and a quarter miles away, and there would have been plenty of time to get there by walking and definitely by cab (we had a bit over 3 1/2 hours to ourselves to explore).

However . . . . once the day came and we were actually in the city, we were exhausted after a full week of nonstop touring. We are a fairly active group (two adults, a teen, and a tween). What we wound up doing is after taking a tour through the Nobel museum and watching the changing of the guard, we had some lunch and then sat for almost two hours in the shade by a fountain enjoying the nice day (and there were not very many nice days over the course of this vacation where we would have been able to do so).

Just a note, while on the way back on the bus, the tour guide began giving us some information and my DD17 said that within 5 minutes most of the people on the bus were asleep.

Just something to think about.

Yes Travel R it takes the stress out of it all. Do you remember what time bus lifted you again for return trip? I know in order to get the train back in time we would have to leave about 3.30 and so am hoping we have about extra time this way.

Hi djacobson

Sounds like you done what we hope to do. Do you remember pickup time?

I think it was around 3:30 to travel back to the ship. I remember getting to the ABBA museum around 11:30 because of all of the stops on the HOHO. The drop-off point we had was at the Royal Opera House, stop 3. The ABBA museum is stop 14 and the Vasa museum is stop 13.

It was a very long two weeks. An incredibly awesome two weeks - but it was tiring. This was the only excursion we booked through the ship, and although I paid more than a private tour or DIY, I am glad that I booked this one through the ship.

I did not write the time we returned in my notes, but I believe it was 2:45-3:00 that we convened back at the bus (2:50 rings a bell).

[Note: a link to my review of our Baltic itinerary is in my signature below. It is fairly detailed. It is an ongoing work, and will be posting about Helsinki in the next two days, and should hopefully publish my discussion on the port of Stockholm by this weekend.]

It was a very long two weeks. An incredibly awesome two weeks - but it was tiring. This was the only excursion we booked through the ship, and although I paid more than a private tour or DIY, I am glad that I booked this one through the ship.

I did not write the time we returned in my notes, but I believe it was 2:45-3:00 that we convened back at the bus (2:50 rings a bell).

[Note: a link to my review of our Baltic itinerary is in my signature below. It is fairly detailed. It is an ongoing work, and will be posting about Helsinki in the next two days, and should hopefully publish my discussion on the port of Stockholm by this weekend.]

Travel R - thank you!

Yes I am looking forward to reading the rest of your review.....I like many others am totally captivated :)

Hi

A lot of people plan to use the train to go from Nynashamn to Stockholm but with upwards of 4000 getting of the ship not all will make it. What happens then when there is a rush for the last train back to the ship.....with all those people surely this creates problems and what happens if too many don't make it on time?

Hi

A lot of people plan to use the train to go from Nynashamn to Stockholm but with upwards of 4000 getting of the ship not all will make it. What happens then when there is a rush for the last train back to the ship.....with all those people surely these creates problems and what happens if too many don't make it on time?

And you cant count on the trains anyway. Sometimes there are delays for hours.

We did the hoho boat rather than the bus. As one dock is at vasa, another at tivoli where abba is and two others are new and old town. Set yourself time limits, one trip we did vasa and town and another abba and town so to do all 3 make sure you give yourself times to move on. We got to abba when it opened and were round in about 1.5 hours. Vasa was so interesting and were there nearly 3 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the Getaway back in May, the ship docked in Nynäshamn rather than Stockholm. I did not learn of the port change until about ten days before the cruise. My original plan was to take the HOHO in Stockholm, which NCL sold, and then get off at the ABBA museum. With the change in itinerary, NCL provided a shuttle service to Stockholm and honored my purchase for the HOHO. I think the shuttle was $50, NCL did not charge me again because I bought the HOHO ticket from them. The drop off point for the shuttle was at or near the beginning point of the HOHO. The ABBA and Vasa museums are in a different part of the city and it took a while to get to the ABBA museum.

I purchased my ticket to the ABBA museum before I traveled to Copenhagen and that saved some time. The Vasa museum is just down the street, about a 10 minute walk. Both were outstanding.

I felt a bit hurried because we needed to be back at the shuttle drop off point to travel back to Nynäshamn. I was only able to visit both museums. Guess I will have to go back :).

$50 for a port shuttle to the city sounds pretty hefty. Is that a return price?

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Tapatalk