Alaska Southbound on the NCL Sun - August 2017 Trip Report!

tatibus0913

The Reindeer Farm also had other animals. There was Dolly, a bison (I think, but I could be wrong about exact species) who had been abandoned as a baby.

enhance

They also had baby moose, again that had been abandoned.

enhance

Finally, they had elk, which we were able to feed.

enhance

enhance

The area surrounding the farm was really pretty.

enhance

All in all, the whole experience took about a half an hour. It was a unique thing to do, and I think it would be really good for kids.

When we reached Independence Mine, we stopped at a booth to pay. It was $5.00 to park, and then $3.00 per additional person after the driver. So a total of $8.00 to enter. We parked and walked around for about an hour. The buildings all had signs explaining about life in the mines. Some of the buildings seem to have been restored, while others have completely fallen apart.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We really enjoyed visiting Independence Mine, even though it was out of the way on our drive to Talkeetna. It’s definitely something that I recommend people visit. We left Independence Mine and made the two hour drive to Talkeetna.

Once we got into Talkeetna, parking was a bit challenging. I finally found a small lot that had a few spaces open so I parked there. We hadn’t really had lunch (aside from Doritos haha) so our first stop was the Denali Brewpub. It was a beautiful and sunny day, so we sat outside on the deck. I checked the weather, and was surprised to see that it was 76 degrees out!

enhance

We each ordered beers, of course. I ordered one of the specials, which was a french dip sandwich on a pretzel roll. Justine ordered fish and chips.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Everything was great!

After dinner, we walked around a bit. The main area was pretty small, but we popped into some stores and got coffees.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We then went to check-in at K2 Aviation for our flightseeing tour, which also included a glacier landing. During the planning phases of this trip, seeing Denali National Park in some way was at the top of the list. Given how big Alaska is, and our limited time before the cruise, this tour fit our needs perfectly.

When we checked in, we were told that we wouldn’t be able to do the Grand Tour, which flew around Denali, because the north side was too cloudy. However, we could the Denali Flyer tour in front of the south side and still do the glacier landing. They refunded us the difference, and gave us glacier boots. A little while later, everyone was ready and we walked over to the plane.

enhance

enhance

As we were flying, there was a rain squall that we flew through, which made for some dramatic clouds!

enhance

enhance

enhance

After we got through the rain squall, we were flying back towards Talkeetna.

enhance

enhance

enhance

I have to say, the flightseeing tour was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. I can't compare it to anything else. It was the most expensive thing that we did, but it was worth it!

After we landed, we made the two hour drive back to Anchorage. We were back in Anchorage by about 11:00pm, and it was still light out!

Overall, it was a lot of driving, but it was an incredible day.

Thanks for sharing your pictures! Looks like an amazing vacation! Alaska has always been on DH's bucket list and I'm thinking that I should start looking at planning something for 2018 or 2019!

The whole trip was amazing! If you can, I definitely recommend doing either a northbound or southbound cruise so that you can spend a few extra days in Alaska!

Fantastic second instalment - what glorious sunshine you're having too!

Interesting to read you seem to get from your Anchorage hotel to downtown fairly easily- is it walkable or were you taking a bus? I'm trying to figure out Anchorage hotels which won't break our budget but also won't be too far away from everything with no car.

Looking forward to the next instalment- again, thanks so much for taking the time to write it 😊