What should our beach loving family do this time around?

mitsugirly

Been to the Malecon a few times: Nohoch & Blue Kay, been to Almaplena and also Maya Chan.

I'm all about trying new things and places (not ruins). Is there any other place that anyone has discovered (not on the Malecon because if I go to the Malecon, I would just go back to Blue Kay) that is a beach with pretty blue clear water and maybe some snorkeling?

Thanks in advance

There's a newer place south of the malecon toward Maya Chan. Owned by an American couple. Tropicante's bike trek stops there. And the guys at MC have recommended it to people when MC is booked. I need to look up the name. It's on this board, I think or in one of Steve's newsletter. Not Jaime's new place which is on the malecon before Nohoch Kay.

The waterpark? I must be the only one who thinks this is a lame, overpriced thing to do. But that's me.

How about a ship snorkel excursion up to Uvero Beach. North of the cruise port, better venue for snorkeling. Only used by ship excursions. Check for power snorkeling tours on Carnival.

Mitsugirly,

Look into Ship wrecked. The other place MC was talking about.

Blue Reef is Jaime's new place and as stated it is on the malecon.

Plus I am hearing that Blue Kay has new more comfortable loungers. No pix confirming that though.

Mitsugirly,

Look into Ship wrecked. The other place MC was talking about.

Blue Reef is Jaime's new place and as stated it is on the malecon.

Plus I am hearing that Blue Kay has new more comfortable loungers. No pix confirming that though.

Hmm, that video didn't excite me too much. It looks like a place on the water that you just hang out and eat and dance at. Not much beach activity or water/snorkeling activity. I'm not sure that really matches what I'm looking for.

Nice to know Blue Kay might have better loungers now (although I don't stay put long enough to sit in one, I'm sure the hubby would like it).

I remember someone saying there was a place, going the opposite way of all of these beaches, and they really liked it...but can't remember the name of it.

Hmm, that video didn't excite me too much. It looks like a place on the water that you just hang out and eat and dance at. Not much beach activity or water/snorkeling activity. I'm not sure that really matches what I'm looking for.

Nice to know Blue Kay might have better loungers now (although I don't stay put long enough to sit in one, I'm sure the hubby would like it).

I remember someone saying there was a place, going the opposite way of all of these beaches, and they really liked it...but can't remember the name of it.

That'd be Uvero Beach. Here's a YouTube and there are reviews on TA. Again the only way there is via ship excursion.

The original "best place to go in CM" was Cha Chi, which is the "deserted beach you've seen many times on the right side of the pier. Great host, good food and you always felt like you were "sneaking in" because you entered via a hole in the fence just outside the cruise port.

That'd be Uvero Beach. Here's a YouTube and there are reviews on TA. Again the only way there is via ship excursion.

The original "best place to go in CM" was Cha Chi, which is the "deserted beach you've seen many times on the right side of the pier. Great host, good food and you always felt like you were "sneaking in" because you entered via a hole in the fence just outside the cruise port.

Eh, I hate booking with the cruise line...especially when it's such an easy port to do on your own.

I really wish they would do something with Cha Chi beach. Such a waste of space not being used and how beautiful it was back when it was open (haven't been, but have seen pictures).

What about Discover Scuba Diving here? Anything good to see from the beach diving? We are only going to be in port from 7-2pm.

Anyone did any Discover Scuba Diving in Costa Maya?

I started thinking maybe this would be the place for us to do a Scuba dive since there's not much of a choice out there and we have been trying to scuba once every time we cruise now.

I contacted a place called Gypsea divers and they have responded back with a price of $85 and going in a calm area, about 20', for all 3 of us. Any idea where this is at?

Been to the Malecon a few times: Nohoch & Blue Kay, been to Almaplena and also Maya Chan.

I'm all about trying new things and places (not ruins). Is there any other place that anyone has discovered (not on the Malecon because if I go to the Malecon, I would just go back to Blue Kay) that is a beach with pretty blue clear water and maybe some snorkeling?

Thanks in advance

We are trying to decide which beach to go to. We are going to the ruins in the morning and should be back around 1:00. Our port time is 8-4. How much does it cost to go to Blue Kay? How does it compare to other beaches?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are trying to decide which beach to go to. We are going to the ruins in the morning and should be back around 1:00. Our port time is 8-4. How much does it cost to go to Blue Kay? How does it compare to other beaches?

When I went, it was free and they just wanted you to buy drinks/food while there. They have since changed it to a $5 admission, which includes a drink (or maybe 2 I'm not sure), which is still worth it because you would probably buy a drink anyhow so it's like getting your money back.

IMO, Blue Kay is a lot nicer than the other beach clubs on the Malecon. They are small and BK is really huge. There's some decent snorkeling out by the rocks and it's not deep at all and you can stand up almost all the way out there.

I have a complete review, listed in my signature line, and there's TONS of pictures from our day there. Check it out. :)

When I went, it was free and they just wanted you to buy drinks/food while there. They have since changed it to a $5 admission, which includes a drink (or maybe 2 I'm not sure), which is still worth it because you would probably buy a drink anyhow so it's like getting your money back.

IMO, Blue Kay is a lot nicer than the other beach clubs on the Malecon. They are small and BK is really huge. There's some decent snorkeling out by the rocks and it's not deep at all and you can stand up almost all the way out there.

I have a complete review, listed in my signature line, and there's TONS of pictures from our day there. Check it out. :)

I read your review that's why I am leaning towards BK!! Just wondering if things have changed since you were there?

I read your review that's why I am leaning towards BK!! Just wondering if things have changed since you were there?

On their website it says $350 for a day pass, I think that is in pesos. But it doesn't say what that includes.

The only thing that has changed is the $5 cover charge.

On their website it says $350 for a day pass, I think that is in pesos. But it doesn't say what that includes.

Yes, that is in peso's and it's usually the package that includes the kayaks, snorkeling equipment and use of the bikes for the malecon.

They also have another package that includes unlimited drinks as well.

Kim- I don't have any advice for you. We took a family trip and did Blue Kay on your recommendation last October and had a nice, relaxing time. This time around it's just myself and DS (20) going and he wants to do the Lost Mayan Kingdom water park since we missed it last year. Curious when you're going and which ship you're sailing this time around?

Kim- I don't have any advice for you. We took a family trip and did Blue Kay on your recommendation last October and had a nice, relaxing time. This time around it's just myself and DS (20) going and he wants to do the Lost Mayan Kingdom water park since we missed it last year. Curious when you're going and which ship you're sailing this time around?

Glad you had a nice time at BK.

We will be cruising on the Magic in November. :)

How do you recommend getting to Blue Kay? Is it close enough to walk to from the ship?

Just take either a cab or the port shuttle. It's the same price no matter what. $3/pp there and $2/pp back. I personally wouldn't walk it (it could be done of course, but might take awhile and to me, time at any port is precious).

Glad you had a nice time at BK.

We will be cruising on the Magic in November. :)

I will be on the Magic in April so will be excited to read your review before we go!

We went to Blue Kay in January and it was lovely. I spent $5 on the chair but I don't think you had to. There were others there who didn't pay anything. I still dream about the guacamole.

• 4 months later...
The only thing that has changed is the $5 cover charge.

Yes, that is in peso's and it's usually the package that includes the kayaks, snorkeling equipment and use of the bikes for the malecon.

They also have another package that includes unlimited drinks as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums