HAL/Princess Alaska First time

amindu

Hi Everyone, I have spent quite a bit of time on the Alaska thread and HAL thread, but i still have unanswered questions. We are in our mid-30s, first Alaska cruise, and we are considering HAL, and Princess for a May 2018 cruise. Couple questions we have are as follows:

1. Is there a discernible difference in the experience we would have if we were to sail on the May 12 vs the later May 26th sailing? Meaning, will the May 26th yield more variety of wildlife or just an overall better experience? The difference in pricing is $275, so not a huge difference.

2. We have never sailed HAL, we have done NCL, Princess, Carnival, Royal. We enjoy nightly entertainment that the ships put on such as broadway themed shows, acrobatic shows, magic, comedy etc. From what I have read, is the stigma still valid that HAL caters to a more mature crowd, therefore the population and activities are catered as such? We don't want to end our night at 9/10 every night, will we get bored?

3. HAL is about $900 cheaper for the same experience in a balcony cabin, i even have a spreadsheet with the port times and what not, and most are within the same experience, only outliers are Princess is in Juneau for 2 extra hours as compared to HAL, and they go to Skagway vs Sitka (we have no preference between the 2, its all new to us)

The itinerary we have picked is the one that goes to Glacier Bay, since consensus has it that you have a greater chance of seeing glaciers, and this is our first Alaska cruise, probably not going to repeat in say the next 20 years.

Appreciate the help. Please offer other advice as well, that we may not have considered.

I suggest you find out more about Sitka and Skagway, In my opinion, differences are significant - Have you already determined WHAT you would do at each? Your port activities? And still no difference to you?

I don't go to any ship shows in Alaska- the "show" is outside the ship for me. :) But in other cruising areas, I find the picks similar between HAL and Princess. Both have ship naturalists with my experiences being HAL offers a few more "Alaska" programs.

As for time- IF you are going to spend your time- meaning hours enjoying scenery, the early trip has more migrating humpback action on the round trip Seattle itineraries. Being you have 2 open ocean sea days- it could be a bonus. Also be prepared for the roughest sailing potential on these itineraries.

IF it truly doesn't matter- would saving funds allow you more touring? That would be a significant plus if so? I'm a firm believer that Alaska isn't the place to skimp on tours, and your activities are half your trip. :) I am just back yesterday from a trip and saw way too many people doing nothing- and grumbling about the weather. A very large number on this particular sailing, that was a major theme of the cruise. Couldn't get away from it in the buffet area. :(

I suggest you find out more about Sitka and Skagway, In my opinion, differences are significant - Have you already determined WHAT you would do at each? Your port activities? And still no difference to you?

I don't go to any ship shows in Alaska- the "show" is outside the ship for me. :) But in other cruising areas, I find the picks similar between HAL and Princess. Both have ship naturalists with my experiences being HAL offers a few more "Alaska" programs.

As for time- IF you are going to spend your time- meaning hours enjoying scenery, the early trip has more migrating humpback action on the round trip Seattle itineraries. Being you have 2 open ocean sea days- it could be a bonus. Also be prepared for the roughest sailing potential on these itineraries.

IF it truly doesn't matter- would saving funds allow you more touring? That would be a significant plus if so? I'm a firm believer that Alaska isn't the place to skimp on tours, and your activities are half your trip. :) I am just back yesterday from a trip and saw way too many people doing nothing- and grumbling about the weather. A very large number on this particular sailing, that was a major theme of the cruise. Couldn't get away from it in the buffet area. :(

I was hoping you would respond, i had actually sent you an email regarding Alaska.

A couple points, i have looked at the tour options on Sitka and Skagway, and understand high level the differences. One comment that i am concerned with is ""Also be prepared for the roughest sailing potential on these itineraries."" Are the seas very choppy during this time of the year? We have sailed to Bermuda and i know that part of the ocean is rougher than the carribean.

We would not skimp out on the tours, which i would also ask for advice on. I know in Juneau we are planning on doing the mendenhall glacier and whale watching tours. We would pick other highly recommended tours in each port, aerial/land which ever provides the best value.

Another way to look at it, from what a TA said, is the smaller the ship the better to navigate and get up close with the glaciers. ( I don't know how true this statement is) That being said i believe the Eurodam is smaller than the Ruby.

1. Is there a discernible difference in the experience we would have if we were to sail on the May 12 vs the later May 26th sailing?

2. From what I have read, is the stigma still valid that HAL caters to a more mature crowd, therefore the population and activities are catered as such? We don't want to end our night at 9/10 every night, will we get bored?

3. HAL is about $900 cheaper for the same experience in a balcony cabin, i even have a spreadsheet with the port times and what not, and most are within the same experience, only outliers are Princess is in Juneau for 2 extra hours as compared to HAL, and they go to Skagway vs Sitka (we have no preference between the 2, its all new to us)

The itinerary we have picked is the one that goes to Glacier Bay, since consensus has it that you have a greater chance of seeing glaciers, and this is our first Alaska cruise, probably not going to repeat in say the next 20 years.

Appreciate the help. Please offer other advice as well, that we may not have considered.

It is certain that you will see glaciers in Glacier Bay and if you keep focused on them, you will see them calving.

1. No difference in any times in May. Baby animals are emerging (whales, eagles, eagles, deer, etc) and are very active.

2. Since Alaska ports are usually at 7:00 AM, nightlife is not very robust as most are asleep early. Here is a link ot typical Alaska HAL activities:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/nieuw-amsterdam-alaska-2016-on-locations/

3. Sitka is a wildlife mecca. The HAL Otters, Raptors, and Bear excursion is a sea portion (whales, otters, seals, eagles, etc) and land portion (Raptor Center eagles) with a last stop at the Fortress of the Bears to see grizzly bears. Itineraries that include Sitka sail from Seattle which puts you in open ocean for the first day.

P7160033.jpg

Departing from Vancouver for Alaska will be in calmer waters in the Inside Passage and will include a stop in Sakgway which was the departure point for most of the big gold rush miners. It features several scenic train ride excursions that overlook a very deep valley.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway-2/white-pass-yukon-railroad/nggallery/page/1

Amindu,

I'm following this thread as we have some similarities in choosing a cruise. Wondering if you have made a decision on Princess or HAL? I'm also wondering about the size of the ship navigating near the glaciers too. Any comments or new research you've found would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Amindu,

I'm following this thread as we have some similarities in choosing a cruise. Wondering if you have made a decision on Princess or HAL? I'm also wondering about the size of the ship navigating near the glaciers too. Any comments or new research you've found would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

The major cruise ships, all have similar abilities for getting "close " to glaciers. When referencing differences for "small", that means the specility tour boats or crusies, like Dream, Lindblad. Not the difference between HAL or Princess. The distance between those 2 are going to be very similar.

I don't think there is a major difference between the two time periods.

Personally I like earlier in the season so I would look hard at early May versus the later May sailing.

I too would read about Sitka and Skagway. With that said this is your first Alaska cruise and if you are like some of us you will return again. We've now sailed Alaska many more times then I would have guessed.

In terms of the on board experience you will get a range of views on this. For me it's not close and I would select Princess over HAL. Now someone might have the opposite view but I found the shows and other evening entertainment more interesting on Princess.

Both have been sailing Alaska for many years and have a wealth of experience with Alaska.

Keith

Amindu,

From the TA, the Eurodam is smaller than the Ruby so would be able to get closer to the glaciers when compared to Ruby. I put the Eurodam on a hold until tomorrow to see what the new princess specials would be priced at which start tomorrow. I know Princess is running their 3 for Free special, but wanted to see if the cruise prices would be impacted.

I don't think there is a major difference between the two time periods.

Personally I like earlier in the season so I would look hard at early May versus the later May sailing.

I too would read about Sitka and Skagway. With that said this is your first Alaska cruise and if you are like some of us you will return again. We've now sailed Alaska many more times then I would have guessed.

In terms of the on board experience you will get a range of views on this. For me it's not close and I would select Princess over HAL. Now someone might have the opposite view but I found the shows and other evening entertainment more interesting on Princess.

Both have been sailing Alaska for many years and have a wealth of experience with Alaska.

Keith

Thanks Keith, in all honesty i don't see us returning to Alaska anytime soon, the only reason we are choosing this cruise to begin with is due to the Zika outbreak in the Caribbean, and we are tired of going to Bermuda the past couple years, so looking to change it up. I agree with you that the Ruby may have more interesting things to do, and that is where we are having a hard time deciding. I don't want an angry bored wife for 7 days in a 200 sq feet cabin, who may at that time be pregnant, she may throw me over board. :')

IMO you shouldn't miss the Skagway White Pass Railroad trip. It is fascinating and beautiful--and the conductors give you some great information. Like the fall of a single huge rock that fell on, I can't recall but I think it was about 50 workers building the railroad. They are of course entombed under the rock, which the railroad goes around today.

Well, I stand corrected. Should have looked it up before hitting "post quick reply."

Black Cross Rock at milepost 10.4 marks the spot of a blasting accident that buried two railroad workers under a 100-ton granite rock. This is their final resting place.

Picture and info at http://www.goldrushtradingpost.com/white_pass_yukon_route

From the TA, the Eurodam is smaller than the Ruby so would be able to get closer to the glaciers when compared to Ruby. I put the Eurodam on a hold until tomorrow to see what the new princess specials would be priced at which start tomorrow. I know Princess is running their 3 for Free special, but wanted to see if the cruise prices would be impacted.

Sorry, but this is simply - not true. Above I mentioned the "close" pertains to small ships, meaning 100 passengers, not any of the major cruise lines. Has the TA been to Alaska multiple times on the various ships and cruise lines? I find most haven't and make very wrong assumptions, that their "single trip" distance is the norm for everyone else. Absolutely wrong. I've been on sequential repetitive trips with the same ships- and the distance is unique for that single trip. The next week can be very different.

Amindu,

Since you were following and in the same boat, i thought i would give you an update. After all my research i decided to go with the Princess Ruby, under their 3 for Free deal. I chose to go with May 19th as this was the best compromise between May 12th and May 26th, price was it was also in between the 2 dates.

After talking and discussing with a lot of folks, the HAL crowd would just have been to mature for us, and this was the best bet out there. Hopefully this helps you in making your decision.

After talking and discussing with a lot of folks, the HAL crowd would just have been to mature for us, and this was the best bet out there. Hopefully this helps you in making your decision.

I'm sure you will have a great trip, sounds perfect for you. BUT, I hope that your wrong assumption about HAL does not get perpetuated. Demographics are VERY similar on all the lines in Alaska. Your "assumption" is not just on that itinerary. Even Carnival, which is known as being "young", is the same, middle aged the bulk with all ages sailing. I have sailed on all the lines, except Disney and have found this to be the norm, that continues. So, reason why I am disputing it. It simply is not true for Alaska. Caribbean, yes. .

Hi Everyone, I have spent quite a bit of time on the Alaska thread and HAL thread, but i still have unanswered questions. We are in our mid-30s, first Alaska cruise, and we are considering HAL, and Princess for a May 2018 cruise. Couple questions we have are as follows:

1. Is there a discernible difference in the experience we would have if we were to sail on the May 12 vs the later May 26th sailing? Meaning, will the May 26th yield more variety of wildlife or just an overall better experience? The difference in pricing is $275, so not a huge difference.

2. We have never sailed HAL, we have done NCL, Princess, Carnival, Royal. We enjoy nightly entertainment that the ships put on such as broadway themed shows, acrobatic shows, magic, comedy etc. From what I have read, is the stigma still valid that HAL caters to a more mature crowd, therefore the population and activities are catered as such? We don't want to end our night at 9/10 every night, will we get bored?

Pay the extra money or you'll regret it..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sure you will have a great trip, sounds perfect for you. BUT, I hope that your wrong assumption about HAL does not get perpetuated. Demographics are VERY similar on all the lines in Alaska. Your "assumption" is not just on that itinerary. Even Carnival, which is known as being "young", is the same, middle aged the bulk with all ages sailing. I have sailed on all the lines, except Disney and have found this to be the norm, that continues. So, reason why I am disputing it. It simply is not true for Alaska. Caribbean, yes. .

Budget Queen - since you have sailed to Alaska on both Princess & HAL - do you have a preference if the itineraries are the same and price comparable? We are debating between HAL & Princess with the same ports and GlacierBay. Yes, we are going to Alaska to SEE Alaska & the cruise is secondary - but I'd be curious as to your preference?