RCI/Celebrity comparison

spearmint

It depends on what type of cruise experience you are looking for. Celebrity is more formalized and offers a more adult experience and a higher level of service whereas Royal Caribbean is more family oriented and offers a more casual experience. Most people will say that Celebrity has better food as well. I have sailed extensively on both lines and I like them both. It's always nice to travel with friends so I would suggest that you go with your friends on Royal Caribbean. It will be a different experience, but there is no reason that it should not be a good experience.

We have sailed both but Celebrity is our first choice. Did RC only because were were taking our whole family with grandkids. Lots of activities, service was excellant and we had a great time but:

1) Since you say you like Celebrity you will find the RC food at dinner a disappoiontment. Whoever their master chef is he is no Michael Roux. Beef was minimul; much fewer chocolate desserts; creme brule no match; speciality restaurant no match to M class ships. Buffet breakfast and lunch good on RC but no speciality egg station at breakfast or pasta station at lunch. On the other hand on RC you can get food/snacks in the buffet area late into the night.

2) Unlike Celebrity, on RC you will hear regular PA announcements like, "Bingo starts in 5 minutes".

3) For an equivilant time of the year you will have far more kids on RC than Celebrity, especially Voyager class and now Freedom class ships.

4) While some people perfer this, you will find far lower adherance to the dress of the evening recommendations. We even saw a number of people who wore shorts to dinner in the main dinning room, even on formal nights.

Unlike Celebrity, were they request passengers to remain in the dress of the evening and most do, on RC even if they did dress appropriately for dinner, most change.

You may find this interesting. I enjoyed a very negative review I read a while back about Celebrity. The people had only sailed on Royal Caribbean before so this was their first cruise on Celebrity. They said they would never sail again with Celebrity. Here are a few of the better quotes. Remember these are is not my words.

“First, it is important that you know that I am not a gourmet when it comes to food. My taste buds have become very used to "Junk Food" and basic meals over the years. In some cases, this makes it difficult for me to enjoy the finer foods and dishes.”

“(ref: Waterfall Restaurant)…..the worst part was the staff members standing around waiting for you to clear the line so the could help you to a table.”

“I have spent most of my life doing for myself and only asking for help when I truly needed it. Being waited on constantly makes me feel that I am no longer capable of taking care of myself.”

Why not try to get your friends to join you on a Celebrity cruise?

2) Unlike Celebrity, on RC you will hear regular PA announcements like, "Bingo starts in 5 minutes".

Kind of off the subject, but if i ever found out what cabin "Bingo Spice" was in on our Jewel cruise i honestly would have duct taped a muzzle to her head!

I took one RCI cruise 6 years ago, and have taken five Celebrity Cruises since that time. These are the basic differences I noticed.

On RCI, there were non stop announcements for almost every activity on the ship. It reminded me of the typical activities director at the Concord Hotel during the fifties/sixites who acted as if it was a crime if someone wanted to relax by the pool while an organized activity was taking place.

Less people on RCI observed the recommended dress code and many of the ones who did do so during dinner changed into casusal clothes, even shorts, after dinner.

At the time, the cabins on RCI were significantly smaller than Celebrity, but I think RCI's newer ships have larger cabins than their older ones did.

I am still laughing at RJG41's post.

We really liked RCI Radiance Class for a lot of reasons. Nice cabins, nice personnel, nice lounges etc. We actually prefer Radiance Class for the beauty of the ship and the energy level of the crew and activities. Do not go for the food...it is more nuts and bolts with no frills. You will not go hungry and you might have to order 2 dinners instead of 1 before you hit the right thing...lol. The main idea is that RCI is a different experience than X and it is a very enjoyable one also. BTW...we just returned from 2 PRINCESS cruises and found that product to be different from RCI and X. It was also enjoyable but different on a lot of levels.

Will you ever hit "THE PERFECT CRUISE"??...I doubt it but the fun is in the trying.

ROSS

We got back yesterday from our 8 cruise - split evenly between the 2. As a native Texan, I have to admit that I was disappointed in this last cruise - not because of the ship, not because of the itinerary, not because of the food, but because of the "Bubba Factor." There were human goats onboard that bleeted loudly at the bars, at any event, that showed up 20 minutes late to dinner in flip flops, shorts and tank tops with kerchiefs tied around their heads. Don't get me wrong - we still had a nice time and met great CC people. But I was shocked at the lowest common denominator theory on this cruise. Before this cruise, and you can search my old posts - I had good things to say about both lines and they are probably still valid. Will I book RCCL again when I can book X? Maybe not because in my mind a certain type of passenger chooses X. We liked being able to drive to port but I'd rather pay the airfare than be knocked over by a large woman in the buffet line who decided I should be on top of the people in front of me rather than standing in her way. As she reached in front of me and knocked me off my feet (not much exaggerating here), my response was "Why don't you go ahead of me?" Sadly, I don't think she got it.

Oops - sorry to sound negative. We did have a nice time - to me there is no bad cruise but as we hear more stories about slipping standards, it makes me treasure the little luxuries of X even more!

in my mind a certain type of passenger chooses X. .

We did have a nice time - to me there is no bad cruise but as we hear more stories about slipping standards, it makes me treasure the little luxuries of X even more!

Amen we noticed the same thing after three consecutive cruises on X we "tried" a RCI. We're sticking with X

Having done both X and RCCL, I must admit that I like the steaks much better on RCCL. It's not that they were bad on X, but they were much jucier and more tender on RCCL. Just one person's opinion.

I love both lines. Yes, there are differences, but there is room in this world for both. Our favorites ships are those of the Radiance Class, but the 14 nights on Infinity we just spent were wonderful, and I would not hesitate to book Celebrity again.

I've learned to block out the announcements on RCCL. Life is too short to let that bother me. And, yes, DH and I are among the people who STAY in our formal wear on those nights.

Go on whatever ship you please, but don't come on my ship and complain to me. I'll turn a deaf ear. One of the comedians on the ship last week made an interesting observation. He said that it's amazing that people travel 2000 miles to go somewhere else to complain. Nuff said!

As Elite members (10+ cruises) we are Diamond on RCCL.

Discounts not on "X" - Over 55, $200 off verandah + and early booking credit, even FREE travel insurance from CSA, even seeen FREE AIR with a cruise booked. On "X" if you book 15 months ahead when it is first announced, you can watch the price rise til you board.

Cappucino, Latte, Espresso - on "X" at the Cova Cafe for $3.75 each, FREE in the Concierge Lounge for Diamond & Diamond Plus members all day. 5-9PM daily is free cocktails, not just a Captain's party or Officers party on "X" and that is still walking after 4 drinks since there is no booze.

Then Concierge class stateroom has a bottle of sparkline wine on ice, but that's it!

Then the item that I love is the glass shower doors on RCCL vs the huggy shower curtain in the 2X5' space on "X".

If I fogot anything, please add it to the post for other to read.

I recently posted a review after my 1st Celebrity cruise which included a few comparisons to RCCL. You may be interested to read it.

Overall, I enjoyed my Celebirty cruise, but prefer RCCL for the more interesting, fun activities. I disagree with the poster who said the food is significantly better on X. I found the creme brulee on RCCL better than on X, and didn't find the dinners in the DR to be much better. Also, there IS a specialty egg station on RCCL ships.

I think you should take the RCCL ship just so you can be able to make the comparison. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Yes, there are differences like PA announcements, but I don't think those can ruin a cruise.

It's disappointing to hear about the "Bubba Factor". Do you think that is because of the low pricing on the Rhapsody sailings? Also, do you think sailing from TX contributes to this? No offense to any Texans, but I'm from NJ and I can definitely say that traveling from Bayonne or NY definitely changes the experience because of the local passenger mix.

I don't know where to start......... we just got off our 1st Celebrity cruise (10th overall) and we had a great time, but no greater than cruises we have had on other lines. I disagree strongly with the comments about the "type of dress" or "type of passenger" you will find on Celebrity. If you blindfolded someone and put them on a Celebrity cruise without telling them they would not know what cruise ship they were on! We found the dress code level on the Century to be about the lowest of any cruise we have been on. Yes, we saw jeans, no tie on formal night and cut off jean shorts and a tank top in the hot tub. Do I care, NO, but don't act like it doesn't happen on Celebrity

As for the higher level of service.... we just didn't see it!

I don't know what RCCL ship has non-stop announcements, but I can tell you it wasn't like that on the Grandeur or the Radiance. Century may not have made announcements over the speakers, but every event we attended, from dance lessons to the welcome aboard, there were "announcements" to attend bingo or go to the spa.

I hate to even talk about the food, since that is so subjective. But at our Cruise Critic final meeting when food was brought up, even season Celebrity cruisers were disappointed. So far we vote Carnival with the best overall food.

We like cruising on all lines, but we found out for ourselves that you can have a good time on all of them, because they are all about the same! :)

RCL is what you make it. True, I've never been on a Celebrity cruise YET :D but I enjoyed the Navigator and the Adventurer, very much.

I don't like the buffet lines either. I'm like that anywhere I go, for that matter because I can't stand people in crowds that aren't paying attention to what others around them are doing. That's my issue I have to work on I guess.

But imagine being with over 3000 passengers and not liking crowds! LOL! I managed just fine and intend on returning to RCL from time to time. I loved the cruise and tried to eat at the buffet during not so busy eating times (late breakfasts and lunches). It was not bad at all.

I'm also looking forward to the Infinity, if I can ever get this cabin booking issue resolved.

I really enjoyed the big ships. And I don't even bother with all the activities - you'll never do them all anyway. I did the same things over and over and had a blast each time. :)

I recently posted a review after my 1st Celebrity cruise which included a few comparisons to RCCL. You may be interested to read it.

Overall, I enjoyed my Celebirty cruise, but prefer RCCL for the more interesting, fun activities. I disagree with the poster who said the food is significantly better on X. I found the creme brulee on RCCL better than on X, and didn't find the dinners in the DR to be much better. Also, there IS a specialty egg station on RCCL ships.

I totally agree with you on more interesting activities. I just got off my first Celebrity cruise monday in galveston. I think the activities may have someting to do with the age of passengers. I would guess the average age on this cruise would be in the 60's, which most did not care about activities of course 11 days may have been a factor in the age. I am 40 and would pick RCCL and Princess above Celebrity on activities and dining.

Go on whatever ship you please, but don't come on my ship and complain to me. I'll turn a deaf ear. One of the comedians on the ship last week made an interesting observation. He said that it's amazing that people travel 2000 miles to go somewhere else to complain. Nuff said!

Loved him! and how true it is!!:cool:

You will enjoy the bigger RCL ships. We cruise all lines so I would relate the RCL cruise experience to a Carnival. I would relate the Celebrity to Holland America and relate a Princess cruise to NCL but only because they both offer a freestyle personal choice dining. The food you will think will be less quality and choice then Celebrity but the entertainment overall will be better. It's hard to really say just the line as you really need to compare ship to ship expericence.

to me there is no bad cruise but as we hear more stories about slipping standards, it makes me treasure the little luxuries of X even more!

We appreciate them, too, but it sounds like we should give another line a try, just to be able to compare. Thanks, Wolfganghowell.

they're both great lines that excel in their genre of cruising. I really love the Celebrity cruises. But the RCI cruises are fun for the excitement and activity. I do think the food is better no X, but it's still pretty good on RCI.

We like the discos better on RCI because they tend to be more active. However, the cocktail lounges on X make better drinks and are more relaxing.

So, we basically just alternate between X and RCI. I do have to agree that there is a bit more of a bubba factor on RCI.

Archived