Would this type of outlet wall adapter be permitted on ships?

tbmrt

I had been bringing the type with extension cord for years, but from what I'm reading, these are being confiscated even if they do not have a surge protector.

Wondering if anyone has had one of the adapters shown in attached photo confiscated?

1205284799_walladapterplugoutlet.jpg.66cbdcc2a5b3183ce25f979e53a23751.jpg

The problem is the "surge protector" that is not allowed on cruise ships. A simple extension cord has always been allowed on every line/ship we have sailed on.

Additionally if you use a CPAP, we have found that contact with the cruise line ahead of time will permit them to provide distilled water, and an extension cord. Both Celebrity, Oceania, and Disney room stewards will ask which side of the bed the CPAP user sleeps on and will tape down the extension cord to that side of the bed.

The problem is the "surge protector" that is not allowed on cruise ships. A simple extension cord has always been allowed on every line/ship we have sailed on.

Additionally if you use a CPAP, we have found that contact with the cruise line ahead of time will permit them to provide distilled water, and an extension cord. ...

Although NCL provides the distilled water, the pre-cruise email from the Access desk always tells the CPAP user to bring an extension cord.

I had been bringing the type with extension cord for years, but from what I'm reading, these are being confiscated even if they do not have a surge protector.

Wondering if anyone has had one of the adapters shown in attached photo confiscated?

I had the exact same adapter confiscated by Vancouver Port Security from my carry-on bag last June. The same adapter in my carry-on camera bag was not confiscated. A third adapter in my checked luggage went through without a problem.

The Port of San Diego Security confiscated my extension cord with a single plug on each end from my checked luggage but let a similar cord through carry-on luggage Port Security and allowed the same cord through the carry-on Security Checkpoint.

In both of the above cases the cords were returned to me on the last day of the cruise. When I asked the Front Desk if they were OK to be used the last evening, I received a blank stare.

Bottom line is to pack adapters/extension cords in BOTH checked and carry-on luggage and hope for the best. Toss an adapter in your camera bag with all of the battery charger cables as well.

It must be noted that the Security Screening folks are not HAL employees but rather contractors for the Port and are just doing what they think is the right thing.

Although NCL provides the distilled water, the pre-cruise email from the Access desk always tells the CPAP user to bring an extension cord.

Well, we have not yet sailed NCL (won't say we never will), but have sailed Disney, Oceania, Celebrity, Royal, and HAL each multiple times. We have found that many times regular extension cords get taken by port security personnel so we don't bring them anymore.

Sorry to mislead; thanks for the correction and updated information.

Edited by DaKa2002
add info

The issue with the outlet pictured in the OP is that often there is something mounted just to the right or left of the outlet that the width of the adapter might interfere with.

An adapter similar to this (a "Cube Tap") was actually in the lone outlet our ms Amsterdam cabin when we boarded.

81bnAbkNGvL._SL300_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GSHRXE/

It was actually more convenient than one with three outlets in a row since plugging a wide device into one outlet didn't block one or two others. But the adapter itself still pressed the switch next to the outlet, which tended to turn the cabin lights on or off every time I plugged in a charger.