Carnival “Best Price Guarantee” on Excursions is a Complete Scam.

CruiseNerd2

If you had read the fine print, you would have found this: In order to be eligible to receive the Best Price Guarantee, you must (1) reserve the applicable shore excursion(s) prior to the commencement of your cruise; and (2) complete and submit an online Shore Excursion Best Price Guarantee claim form at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of your cruise. Failure to meet any of the following conditions will result in your claim form being rejected.

Just because you didn't do your due diligence doesn't mean Carnival is at fault. I just got $33 x2 refunded for an excursion for an upcoming cruise. Reading always helps!!

Do you realize this thread is a year (minus a week) old and that the OP has not posted anything since?

Maybe I misunderstand the OP's situation but if not, it sounds like he was was effectively negotiating price with the Carnival-contracted tour provider then wanted to claim the price guarantee rebate for the difference. I'm pretty sure that the guarantee only applies to a totally separate provider than Carnival's (which in this case it was not) and as I think someone mentioned, that provider rep the OP talked with could find themselves in violation of that contract with Carnival and be therefore dropped. I may misunderstand the details but it sounds to me like there would be no price guarantee payment warranted.

That's not the case, I found the same company the same exact tour/company offered directly through the company's website for less. I submitted the guarantee form and received onboard credit. It is actually better that it's the same tour that way they can't say that something is different or not included therefore it doesn't qualify for the guarantee.:cool:

I'm not sure I'm following. Are you saying that the tour through Carnival was $49.99 and that the tour operator of that same tour said that you could tag along as a passenger for $29? If that's the case, then I think you need to realize that the amount was probably if you just wanted to tag along and not participate in the activities (i.e. the Wave Runner). Honestly, though, I doubt Carnival would have been happy that he offered you this directly, because excursions are supposed to be purchased through them. It's how they get their cut.

In any case, the excursion guarantee absolutely does work. But you have to apply for the difference in advance, and the excursion has to match exactly. I was able to apply and receive the difference in OBC for the excursion I booked for Belize last year.

It isn't a scam and even I don't think you qualify.

The price has to be advertised and available to everyone, not just walk ups. In general, Carnival contracts with shore excursion operators who aren't allowed to sell the same tour and time outside of the cruise line.

It sounds to me like the operator was trying to make a few bucks, probably in violation of a contract with Carnival.

An example of what would qualify would be if that operator sold the exact identical tour and time on the Internet, or a competitor doing the same.

Several more disqualifications:

In order to be eligible to receive the Best Price Guarantee, you must (1) reserve the applicable shore excursion(s) prior to the commencement of your cruise; and (2) complete and submit an online Shore Excursion Best Price Guarantee claim form at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of your cruise. Failure to meet any of the following conditions will result in your claim form being rejected. Carnival Cruise Lines will review your claim within five (5) business days. Lower rate must be publicly advertised and available to the general public at the time your claim is filed, as determined by Carnival Cruise Lines personnel. Rates offered on membership program websites, corporate discounts or rates; group, charter, rewards program, incentive, meeting, convention, consolidator or interline prices; prices obtained via auction or similar process; or prices available only by using a coupon or other promotion not offered to the general public are ineligible. International bookings do not qualify for the Best Price Guarantee. The Best Price Guarantee is available only for exact shore excursion matches, for example, duration of the shore excursion, transportation fees, and the exact same dates of the shore excursion as booked through Carnival Cruise Lines. The Best Price Guarantee is not available for shore excursions booked through any third-party where excursion details are unknown until after purchase. If your claim meets these requirements, Carnival Cruise Lines will issue a non-refundable onboard credit worth 110% of the price difference. An email confirming the outcome of the request will be sent to you. If you cancel your excursion, your onboard credit will also be cancelled. The onboard credit is nonrefundable, non-transferable, and has no cash value. The onboard credit must be used during the applicable cruise. Any unused portion of the onboard credit will be forfeited. Carnival Cruise Lines reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify or discontinue the Shore Excursion Best Price Guarantee or to restrict its availability to any person, at any time, for any or no reason, and without prior notice or liability to you. The terms that are in effect at the time of your booking will determine your eligibility under the Shore Excursion Best Price Guarantee. No change in the Shore Excursion Best Price Guarantee will affect any coupon that has already been issued to you. The failure by Carnival Cruise Lines to enforce any provision of these Terms & Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.