Driving to Florida- hotels, etc

SingingPixie

We're a group of 4 adults cruising out of Miami November 13th-17th (M-F). We live in Charlotte, NC and aren't sure yet whether we'll fly or drive to port. Right now it's looking like about $400 pp for reasonably convenient flights, so it might make more sense to make the 10 1/2 hr drive.

We're all church musicians, so wouldn't be able to leave until Sunday afternoon. I'm torn between maybe only going as far as Savannah and then getting dinner and kicking off our vacation there, and getting a good bit of the drive under our belts so we don't have as far to go the morning of embarkation day.

I'm normally a pre-planner, so I've never considered this before... but if we weren't to pre-book a hotel en route, are there easy apps (or I suppose I could just use Safari from the road to browse Hotwire, etc) to book a hotel once we know where we might want to stop for the night? I could honestly see us making it all the way to Miami, or stopping as soon as Jacksonville (or like I said- even Savannah if we go that route). Another factor is that we're cruising on Carnival, so we will at least have to pick a check-in time, but I suppose we could just get one on the later side to give us the most wiggle room in the morning.

We'll have similar options on the way back, since we just have to be back by late Saturday night. We could disembark and hit the road, getting back by dinnertime on Friday, or we could take an extra day in Florida, or anywhere else in between.

What have you all done?

One of the passengers can just Google hotels in the area and call a couple. It's simple.

If you are traveling all the way to Miami, then stopping in Savannah will leave you one heck of a drive south in the morning. I'd be looking to stop closer to St Augustine.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if a better plan might be to stop somewhere between St. Augustine and Cape Canaveral on the way down, and then maybe do Savannah on the way back. We could get there by dinnertime on Friday, and then have Friday evening and most of Saturday to explore and then head back to Charlotte whenever we feel like it.

That's pretty much what I would do. If you haven't been to St. Augustine, it's a great stop to get out an explore the old city if you get there early enough to do so.

That's a possibility! If we were to get there by 7:30 or so, would that be worth it?

That's a possibility! If we were to get there by 7:30 or so, would that be worth it?

Not sure, I haven't done St Augustine in the evening. I know there is an evening adults only pirate cruise on the black raven that might be fun.

We live about an hour and a half from St Augustine. Then from us to Port Everglades is at least another 3 hours. There are hotels in Daytona And Palm Coast. That would put you closer.

When we drive down, we park at park n fly in Lauderdale. Reasonable, safe to park, they shuttle you to and from the Port. Check it out.

:hearteyes:

I live in Nashville, and $400 to fly to FL seems high to me for early November. With 4 people, allow extra time for meals, bathroom breaks, general rest stops, etc. if you drive.

Roz

I live in Nashville, and $400 to fly to FL seems high to me for early November. With 4 people, allow extra time for meals, bathroom breaks, general rest stops, etc. if you drive.

Roz

I know, it felt high to me too! We could do the low 3's if we were ok with illogical connections and long layovers, but if it's going to take 8 hours of transit time each way we might as well drive lol.

My guess is I'll be the one dictating how often we stop since I'm the only woman... and in that case I'm prepared to limit my fluid intake ;-)

I live in the Hilton Head, SC area about 30 min. north of Savannah and we have driven to Miami twice for departing cruises. It's a 500 mile trip down to Miami, so plan on it taking 8-9 hours with stops/traffic/construction on I-95.

Another option you might consider: you can get a non-stop flight from Charleston, SC - Ft. Lauderdale for around $200 pp and the flight is only about 1.5 hours

Have you checked out Allegiant Air? My sister drove to a town called Concord, NC and flew to Florida from there. Don't know if they serve FLL or Miami, but it may save time and money and wear and tear on your body and car to just drive to Concord and park your car at the airport.

Roz

Have you checked out Allegiant Air? My sister drove to a town called Concord, NC and flew to Florida from there. Don't know if they serve FLL or Miami, but it may save time and money and wear and tear on your body and car to just drive to Concord and park your car at the airport.

Roz

Huh, I hadn't! I knew to check Southwest separately, but hadn't really thought about Allegiant. It looks like the flight time out of Concord won't work, but Asheville might. That's actually a really good option!

Huh, I hadn't! I knew to check Southwest separately, but hadn't really thought about Allegiant. It looks like the flight time out of Concord won't work, but Asheville might. That's actually a really good option!

Yes, but then you would be flying Allegiant.... That's brave. I would rather drive. You aren't getting me on an Allegiant plane (and I'm a pilot).

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/investigations/allegiant-air/mechanical-breakdowns/

We live about an hour and a half from St Augustine. Then from us to Port Everglades is at least another 3 hours. There are hotels in Daytona And Palm Coast. That would put you closer.

When we drive down, we park at park n fly in Lauderdale. Reasonable, safe to park, they shuttle you to and from the Port. Check it out.

:hearteyes:

Is that what it's called?-"park n fly"? I'd be interested in knowing more about this as we have a bit longer drive from Ontario, Canada and need a place to leave our car that is safe, reasonably priced and provides a reliable shuttle.

Is that what it's called?-"park n fly"? I'd be interested in knowing more about this as we have a bit longer drive from Ontario, Canada and need a place to leave our car that is safe, reasonably priced and provides a reliable shuttle.

Park N Go is the off site parking most frequently recommended here. Just do a search on Port Everglades off site parking.