Arcadia Aft Suites

Big Foot

Hello,

I haven't cruised on Arcadia since her maiden season.

At that time we booked a midship suite, but have since found that we prefer aft staterooms / suites.

Can I please therefore ask those of you who have sailed on Arcadia which of the aft suites you prefer & why?

I note there are some size differences between them & that D deck appears to have the largest balconies, however I can't tell if these are shaded or not?

I love the sun so a big wide open balcony would be perfect for me.

Thank you.

Joan

We've not stayed in it yet, but have D deck aft corner suite booked for a 2018-19 Caribbean round trip, because it IS shaded and not overlooked (we don't do well sitting out in the sun for hours and will go up top for full sun)

I believe from comments, that E deck can be noisy and have more vibration from the thrusters...

I believe A deck can be noisy from chairs on the Lido deck above, but some people say that doesn't bother them

I'll let others compare decks A, B and C cabins and balconies (I know some are on YouTube)

We had C201 the Barcelona Suite last year and loved it. It is a corner act and benefits from shares and sun in equal measure. We found that being at the aft we always got the best of the sun. It was great sitting on the balcony relaxing with a drink and watching the wake.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

We've not stayed in it yet, but have D deck aft corner suite booked for a 2018-19 Caribbean round trip, because it IS shaded and not overlooked (we don't do well sitting out in the sun for hours and will go up top for full sun)

I believe from comments, that E deck can be noisy and have more vibration from the thrusters...

I believe A deck can be noisy from chairs on the Lido deck above, but some people say that doesn't bother them

I'll let others compare decks A, B and C cabins and balconies (I know some are on YouTube)

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know about D deck.

I've seen a couple of videos of A & C deck suites on YouTube but couldn't find anything for B deck.

Joan

We did a ship visit on Arcadia on Sunday and visited the aft corner suites on D and B deck. The interiors are identical (very dated compared to Britannia but OK) but the balconies were massively different. The D deck balcony is entirely covered and feels quite dark and gloomy. Because it is very deep, the huge metal 'ceiling' also gives it quite an industrial feel. It also compromises the view out from the suite a little. We then went to B deck and the difference was marked. The balcony is still huge, but the overhang covers just half the depth of the rear facing section and all of the side section. This, we thought, was perfect. You have plenty of shade when you want it, but can also get some sun if you want it. The whole balcony is much much lighter as a result and looks far better. The suite is lighter as a result and has a better outlook. Overlooking is not an issue. People don't lean over their balcony to see what you are doing! We were very relieved as we have booked a B deck corner aft suite for the Fjords next year and feel that our choice will be perfect as the views are upwards as well as outwards.

We did a ship visit on Arcadia on Sunday and visited the aft corner suites on D and B deck. The interiors are identical (very dated compared to Britannia but OK) but the balconies were massively different. The D deck balcony is entirely covered and feels quite dark and gloomy. Because it is very deep, the huge metal 'ceiling' also gives it quite an industrial feel. It also compromises the view out from the suite a little. We then went to B deck and the difference was marked. The balcony is still huge, but the overhang covers just half the depth of the rear facing section and all of the side section. This, we thought, was perfect. You have plenty of shade when you want it, but can also get some sun if you want it. The whole balcony is much much lighter as a result and looks far better. The suite is lighter as a result and has a better outlook. Overlooking is not an issue. People don't lean over their balcony to see what you are doing! We were very relieved as we have booked a B deck corner aft suite for the Fjords next year and feel that our choice will be perfect as the views are upwards as well as outwards.

Hello,

Thank you; sounds like your ship visit was perfect timing for my question!

I'm so glad I know about this as initially I would have been tempted by the huge balcony on D deck, but knowing what I do now, I think I will give it a miss.

I really appreciate your comments.

Joan

D deck doesn't look too gloomy too me? May be more so when in port or on a dull day?

But yes if you want sun you're better off in another deck.

I remember coming back from the Caribbean at Christmas we couldn't use the balcony, and had to have the curtains pulled for the air on to have any chance of working. Hence why we wanted more shade this time :)

Hello,

Thank you; sounds like your ship visit was perfect timing for my question!

I'm so glad I know about this as initially I would have been tempted by the huge balcony on D deck, but knowing what I do now, I think I will give it a miss.

I really appreciate your comments.

Joan

No problem. It goes to show how misleading the cabin sizes can be, as they include the size of the balcony. Whilst the D deck balcony may have been slightly bigger, it wasn't usable space. The B deck balcony is still very big but is far more practical and looks much nicer. The rear facing section is very deep, so the shaded part under the overhang is still quite deep, so you would never lack shade if you wanted it, wherever the sun was. The side sections are fully covered on both decks. But having the outer section of the rear facing balcony open made a massive difference to the look and feel of the balcony, usability, light levels inside the suite and outlook from the suite . The balcony on D deck felt very oppressive in comparison and the depth of the overhang makes the view look more 'distant' from the inside of the suite. If they are both available then I would take B deck over D deck without any hesitation whatsoever, unless D deck is quite a bit cheaper, which I don't believe it is.

D deck doesn't look too gloomy too me? May be more so when in port or on a dull day?
But yes if you want sun you're better off in another deck.

I remember coming back from the Caribbean at Christmas we couldn't use the balcony, and had to have the curtains pulled for the air on to have any chance of working. Hence why we wanted more shade this time :)

We don't sunbathe at all, we use the balcony for reading (in the shade) and for watching port arrivals and departures. You would never be unable to get shade on B deck (see my post above) as the overhang is still quite deep. As your cruise is still some way off, I would strongly suggest a ship visit and (as we did) and ask to see the specific suite you have booked. You may be quite happy with it, but if we had booked D deck we would have been looking to change it the next day for the reasons stated above even though, like you, we like to keep out of the sun.

Hello,

I was in B165 last year, we were lucky enough to have it in the USA and Canada, it gave us amazing views during the sail-in to NYC. This would be my preferred choice of suite for the following reasons:

No smoking on Starboard side

A deck can be noisy and overlooked

C Deck suites are smaller (I have also had the C Deck port aft-wrap on another occasion)

D deck is completely covered

E deck has a huge balcony (and I mean huge) but we worry about noise

We found the B deck suite was spacious, had a generous balcony, not overlooked, good balance of sun and shade, great location, no noise, only had soot on one day. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello,

I was in B165 last year, we were lucky enough to have it in the USA and Canada, it gave us amazing views during the sail-in to NYC. This would be my preferred choice of suite for the following reasons:

C Deck suites are smaller (I have also had the C Deck port aft-wrap on another occasion)

We found the B deck suite was spacious, had a generous balcony, not overlooked, good balance of sun and shade, great location, no noise, only had soot on one day. Hope this helps.

Many thanks Florry. It helps immensely as we have booked B165 and felt from the ship visit that we had made a wise choice, but your cruise experience is far more relevant. We had an aft corner wrap suite on Britannia this year which, after booking, I then spent a year feeling anxious about for various reasons. Although one of the things we had worried about (smoke from the port side smoking area) wasn't an issue at all, the soot, constant vibration and noise from the Live Lounge were all reasons why we wouldn't book another, so it's nice to be able to look forward to next year with no known negatives! We will keep it in good shape for you!

Hello,

Thank you Florry; that's really good to know.

Hope you both have great cruises! The aft wraps are smaller than mid ship suites, you notice it in the space between the bed and the table.

Thanks Florry. That's actually a good thing for us as my wife is disabled and has to hold on to things, so big spaces aren't great! Although P&O charge top prices for midships cabins (of any grade), they would always be our last choice as we find it irritating when people walk past your cabin late at night having full volume conversations, laughing etc as it wakes us up (we tend to go to sleep earlier than most). Usually, at the front or back we enjoy near silence!

We don't sunbathe at all, we use the balcony for reading (in the shade) and for watching port arrivals and departures. You would never be unable to get shade on B deck (see my post above) as the overhang is still quite deep. As your cruise is still some way off, I would strongly suggest a ship visit and (as we did) and ask to see the specific suite you have booked. You may be quite happy with it, but if we had booked D deck we would have been looking to change it the next day for the reasons stated above even though, like you, we like to keep out of the sun.

Thanks, we're too far for a ship visit (but have stayed on Arcadia before) Although the cruise is 15 months away most of the corner aft suites appear booked (and I don't want to be on E deck!) From the youtube video of the cabin and balcony (and experience of a prev balcony to Caribbean) I think we'll be fine as we really don't like sitting in the sun for long, an hour was about my max :) Someone on another forum prev said sun always gets onto that balcony somewhere!

Thanks, we're too far for a ship visit (but have stayed on Arcadia before) Although the cruise is 15 months away most of the corner aft suites appear booked (and I don't want to be on E deck!) From the youtube video of the cabin and balcony (and experience of a prev balcony to Caribbean) I think we'll be fine as we really don't like sitting in the sun for long, an hour was about my max :) Someone on another forum prev said sun always gets onto that balcony somewhere!

I'm sure you will be fine. I would certainly prefer D deck over one directly above or below public rooms or decks. As long as you are aware that the balcony is fully covered (which you now are) you won't be dissapointed.

• 3 months later...

Are you on the Christmas Caribbean cruise J819 ?

We are and have booked Suite D180 so we will be close neighbours for a month if you are in D181

It’s will be our first experience of being in a suite Do you use the services of the Butler ? I know it’s optional and I’m undecided whether too. I’m not sure how comfortable I will feel having a Butler.

Are you on the Christmas Caribbean cruise J819 ?

We are and have booked Suite D180 so we will be close neighbours for a month if you are in D181

It’s will be our first experience of being in a suite Do you use the services of the Butler ? I know it’s optional and I’m undecided whether too. I’m not sure how comfortable I will feel having a Butler.

Hi, yes we are. :D Welcome ‘future neighbours’ :D It’ll be our first time in a suite too (a treat to myself, as I’ll be 50 in June) but it sounds from other members on here that it’s best not to let the butler know it’s your first time (if you do decide to use one) else a few will try and avoid many tasks...

We’ve decided to use the butler, as we’ve paid for him/her, but I’m normally someone who finds it very uncomfortable when people try and do things for me... I remember when I was working in India, finding it impossible to allow the hotel porter to carry my handbag or (very small) shoulder to my hotel room each day!!!

I’ve made a list of things people say the butler will do. We’ve decided we would really enjoy the occasional meal in the balcony, and we’ll use him to collect the daily news sheet, crossword, etc, that we sometimes forget and also they can bring the daily ice and lemon slices, as it’ll make drinking water whilst sitting and reading on the balcony that bit ‘more special’ ;) But the butler will NOT be unpacking our bags!!!!!

We always walk the prom a lot, so we just need to ensure we continue to do so even when we don’t need to collect something s/he will now do! We also try and join in with several activities, each sea day, to keep busy. Short cruises we tend to be in our cabin a lot, resting and reading on the rare sea day, but on our last transatlantic we joined in with a lot, to keep us busy and active.

We can’t wait to get the priority boarding hehehe :')

We booked early last year, and can’t believe this cruise is now this year, albeit 11 months away...

Hi, yes we are. :D Welcome ‘future neighbours’ :D It’ll be our first time in a suite too (a treat to myself, as I’ll be 50 in June) but it sounds from other members on here that it’s best not to let the butler know it’s your first time (if you do decide to use one) else a few will try and avoid many tasks...

We’ve decided to use the butler, as we’ve paid for him/her, but I’m normally someone who finds it very uncomfortable when people try and do things for me... I remember when I was working in India, finding it impossible to allow the hotel porter to carry my handbag or (very small) shoulder to my hotel room each day!!!

I’ve made a list of things people say the butler will do. We’ve decided we would really enjoy the occasional meal in the balcony, and we’ll use him to collect the daily news sheet, crossword, etc, that we sometimes forget and also they can bring the daily ice and lemon slices, as it’ll make drinking water whilst sitting and reading on the balcony that bit ‘more special’ ;) But the butler will NOT be unpacking our bags!!!!!

We always walk the prom a lot, so we just need to ensure we continue to do so even when we don’t need to collect something s/he will now do! We also try and join in with several activities, each sea day, to keep busy. Short cruises we tend to be in our cabin a lot, resting and reading on the rare sea day, but on our last transatlantic we joined in with a lot, to keep us busy and active.

We can’t wait to get the priority boarding hehehe :')

We booked early last year, and can’t believe this cruise is now this year, albeit 11 months away...

Hi waves at future neighbours It's a big birthday for me too this year . I will be 60 in July. And both suite newbies So we will have quite a lot in common 😄.

We are both fairly new to cruising. This will be our third cruise! And our first time on Arcadia. Both previous cruises have been over the Christmas/New Year period on the Azura. The first 2015/16 and the following year too. It seemed strange and sad 😔not to be cruising this Christmas. But the thought we are now down to less than a year kept spirits up. Like you we booked early last year. I think you needed to if you wanted a suite. I um and awwd over which deck too. Easy to rule out A and E but nor so sure on other decks. Though I think C was already booked. We had an aft cabin on D deck on Azura though not a suite. Loved watching the Wake. It could be noisy at times but never intrusive It was completely covered overhead but still managed to get some sun anyone once we hit the Caribbean we will be grateful of the shade. And in first few days. Might be have the added bonus of giving cover to any rain 😉

I think I will keep the Butler. The hubby has the same opinion as you, we paid for one so why not. I need to find out what they actually do. Though definitely not the my unpacking.!!! Don't want anyone unpacking my smalls. Or in my case my 'Bridget Jones size large' Hehe

I am so looking forward to having my own lounger on the balcony and reading. I enjoy the daily crossword and sudoku too. And as a knitter will take that along to. I think I've read they have a meet up on sea days for crafters. And I want to try the ship run quizzes. We also take a few of our own games to play in cabin or on sea days pms in the crows nest with a drink. We are not big drinkers. A glass of wine with the evening meal and maybe a couple in the evening is my lot.

Told the hubby. I "met" our neighbour to be. He did look at me as if I'd lost the plot until I explained. Roll on December 😄

Hi waves at future neighbours ... Roll on December 😄

Hi. Well,

you’ll be 60 in July, I’ll be 50 in June

We both started cruising with the Christmas 2015 cruise (and we have done the last two too) all on Aurora (but did do a very last minute booking on Arcadia last June as it was an amazing deal)

I did the art classes.

If I do pick up knitting this year (keep meaning to) then I’ll take that, otherwise I enjoy needle felting

The round trip Caribbean cruise last Christmas had a lot going on, far more than the shorter Christmas cruises. Yes there were unhosted craft/knitting groups. There were very good art lessons. And we had good guest speakers (inc Eddie the Eagle!) There were line dancing and exercise type salsa dancing sessions every sea day. Oh and the choir too. My husband took part in the quizzes which gave him confidence to join in :) one trip we’ll investigate learning the rules and how to play the deck games. To be honest I had to choose what to do, so I didn’t do too much as I needed the rest and mental recovery from work. I most of all, enjoy having time on the balcony just reading or listening to a book, occasionally getting an hour of sun on the top deck! :) Not once we’re either of us bored. oh and we’re not big drinkers either, I usually stick with elderflower and my husband has a drink with the evening meal, maybe one in the Crows Nest later.

See you onboard and let’s carry on the conversation on the roll call (I’ve just started one) so we don’t hog this thread ;) :')

:ship:

:waves: