Questions about cruise insurance? Help plz

karyabc

Hi, I'm thinking about getting insurance for my upcoming cruise, it's my first time cruising, just me and my father (he is 60 in case that's important). Anyway have no idea what makes a cruise insurance good, average or not so bueno at all.

I did a fast search on google and using a website to compare different insurance companies, found 1 that for $75 its says cover:

Trip cancellation 754 per person

Trip interruption 943 per person

Baggage loss 600

Baggage delay 12+hours $100 max

Travel delay 6+hours $ 150/day

Medical limit $75,000

Dental 500

Medical evacuation 250,000

24h emergency assistance.

:Dsorry for posting all the details but have no idea about this, so that's why I'm asking if it looks good for the quote I got of 75.00

I should add I'm leaving from jersey, and I live in NYC so no flying, and total cost of my cruise with port taxes and gratuities is 1508.00

Sounds good the quote? Since I'm not flying is still a good idea to get insurance? .

Thanks

It looks good but how is the company vis a vis reviews, etc.? I would recommend going to www.insuremytrip.com which will let you input your travel details and will let you compare many policies side by side (including customer reviews) just so you can be sure.

Hi, yes that's the exact website I used (wasn't sure if I can post brands that's why I didn't included it) And the insurance company is nationwide has thousand of good reviews.

Have you checked on www.tripinsurancestore.com the explanation on the different types of coverage by insurance companies?Also, the premium rate is based on the total trip insurance, length of coverage, coverage limit amount and passenger's age.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Txs going to check out now, cause I understand cero about primary and secundary coverage:D.

60 year old father -- does he have any health conditions?

May you have to worry about insurance covering pre- existing health conditions and pay more to cover it/them.

Hypertension but well jnder control for 15+ years, he takes his pill and his BP it's better than mine, other than that he's ok.

The only thing to watch is pricing based on age. At 60, not a big deal.

But a few years ago we were cruising with my parents (87 at the time), and the third party insurance (which is underwritten) was VERY expensive for them. So we bought it through the cruise line (same price for all).

I just returned from a Celebrity cruise with my sister. While waiting to board the ship I must have seen 30 people that were denied boarding because they had not brought a passport--we were stopping in a non-US port--St. Martin. Most of them had not purchased trip insurance and as gently as possible the cruise rep was telling them that in all probability they would lose most if not all of their paid fare. I must have heard a dozen or more say "I don't need a passport. I am an American!" Sad, but true. Many policies cover trip cancellation for any reason, including personal irresponsibility in not reading your cruise docs. So buy it!

I just returned from a Celebrity cruise with my sister. While waiting to board the ship I must have seen 30 people that were denied boarding because they had not brought a passport--we were stopping in a non-US port--St. Martin. Most of them had not purchased trip insurance and as gently as possible the cruise rep was telling them that in all probability they would lose most if not all of their paid fare. I must have heard a dozen or more say "I don't need a passport. I am an American!" Sad, but true. Many policies cover trip cancellation for any reason, including personal irresponsibility in not reading your cruise docs. So buy it!

First if a US citizen is on a closed loop cruise they do not need a passport, only proof of citizenship (birth certificate issued by gov't authority) and gov't issued photo ID. Second, every cancel for any reason policy that I've read requires cancellation to be 48 hours prior to sailing (and while I haven't read every policy I believe that is a consistent rule from all that I've read), so having that insurance wouldn't help anyone denied boarding.

Would insurance actually cover losses due to passengers not having proper identification?

Would insurance actually cover losses due to passengers not having proper identification?

It depends, if they had the documentation to begin with and it was lost or stolen on the way to the port then that might be covered. If they didn't bring it to begin with then probably not. All depends on how the policy is written.

First if a US citizen is on a closed loop cruise they do not need a passport, only proof of citizenship (birth certificate issued by gov't authority) and gov't issued photo ID. Second, every cancel for any reason policy that I've read requires cancellation to be 48 hours prior to sailing (and while I haven't read every policy I believe that is a consistent rule from all that I've read), so having that insurance wouldn't help anyone denied boarding.

Unfortunately, it appeared that most if not all of these folks had no form of ID except a driver's license--which only proves that you can drive. My point was to underline the need to carefully read all of the trip documentation, pre-register at the cruise line website where you will be asked specifically to enter the form of ID you will be using and the purchase of trip insurance. I had to cancel a Rome-Barcelona trip two years ago due to emergency surgery and Celebrity came through with a full credit for the trip because we had the insurance. We took the same trip on the Equinox last May. I buy mine through third parties--they tend to be more comprehensive and I use a VERY reliable travel agent to back check me!

It depends, if they had the documentation to begin with and it was lost or stolen on the way to the port then that might be covered. If they didn't bring it to begin with then probably not. All depends on how the policy is written.

This is a very gray area. Claiming it was lost or stolen would probably require that you provide some kind of police report and even then I think most cruise lines are savvy to the various excuses people can make when they think they are about to lose a lot of money.

This is a very gray area. Claiming it was lost or stolen would probably require that you provide some kind of police report and even then I think most cruise lines are savvy to the various excuses people can make when they think they are about to lose a lot of money.

Of course one needs to provide proof to back up one's claim but I have seen "lost or stolen travel documentation" as an item covered by a policy.

Wow I'm in pain, that's the worst thing ever. I guess each to their own but I would never consider ever get on a cruise without a passport. Mine is good for 9 years and only took 1 day to renew it .

And I'm 100% buying the insurance, only $75.00 , and in case of worst case scenario look how much good it does:).

Tx u!

Honestly I think it's a waste of money because the airlines and the cruise in the three will give you your money back in almost every situation even ones that you think they won't
The above is bad advice. You don't really need insurance to cover getting back the cost of the cruise. Most people taking cruises could take the hit of losing their cruise fare. The main reason to have insurance is to cover medical expenses/medical evacuation. My mother-in-law was hospitalized in Greece on a Mediterranean cruise. The insurance covered her hospital stay, my father-in-law's hotel expense, and worked to change their flights when she was able to fly home. They even hired a student nurse to accompany them on the flights home. After getting home, they were able to file to get the missed days of their cruise reimbursed as well.

Honestly I think it's a waste of money because the airlines and the cruise in the three will give you your money back in almost every situation even ones that you think they won't

Ah, but will they pony up the $25k+ needed for a medevac? (One can get medevac coverage only but I've found the comprehensive plans to be more robust with only a little more cost.) Ooops, should have read the next reply.

Ah, but will they pony up the $25k+ needed for a medevac? (One can get medevac coverage only but I've found the comprehensive plans to be more robust with only a little more cost.) Ooops, should have read the next reply.

Well to your point I didn't consider medical coverage however that's a less likely risk for someone like me and I really don't know enough about the say it's good or bad but I suppose I could concede to your point

Neither the cruise line nor the airline provided refunds when my family had to cancel a cruise due to a death in the family. So there's at least one situation that insurance would have paid.

Neither the cruise line nor the airline provided refunds when my family had to cancel a cruise due to a death in the family. So there's at least one situation that insurance would have paid.

Man :(