Finally did it

EDLOS

Seabourn, Regent, Silver Sea, Ponnant, Cunard grills. Pretty broad statement to say you won't find better service than HAL because the above are vastly better. But HAL does give a good value for service for what you pay.

I would venture to guess that they were referring to the mass market lines (i.e., CCL, NCL, Princess, etc.) as opposed to those you mentioned. If so, their point is well taken IMHO.

@shore folks

I think you will find your Feb HAL cruise a "happy ship" with crew eager to please. I have encountered in five cruises, one server who was having a bad night in the nightclub. If Celebrity is less (apt to be) happy than NCL, wow, I would hesitate to book on them!

I really want to try and like Princess, but I like to spend time in my cabin (it is my home for up to 26 days so far!) -- and the dorm-like bed-and-one-chair room you get on Princess in any room less than a Minisuite has so far negated any apparent cost savings of the 'lower' cabins. Pay less and get less.

We are booked to try Royal Caribbean (in a room with a sofa), due to an itinerary that interested me -- Barcelona+Canary Islands.

Most cruise lines have slipped a little.
I would venture to guess that they were referring to the mass market lines (i.e., CCL, NCL, Princess, etc.) as opposed to those you mentioned.
And of course, the "slippage" in the mass-market cruise lines have made room for the luxury cruise lines. They're offering different products at different price points with different grades of service.

@shore folks

I think you will find your Feb HAL cruise a "happy ship" with crew eager to please. I have encountered in five cruises, one server who was having a bad night in the nightclub. If Celebrity is less (apt to be) happy than NCL, wow, I would hesitate to book on them!

I really want to try and like Princess, but I like to spend time in my cabin (it is my home for up to 26 days so far!) -- and the dorm-like bed-and-one-chair room you get on Princess in any room less than a Minisuite has so far negated any apparent cost savings of the 'lower' cabins. Pay less and get less.

We are booked to try Royal Caribbean (in a room with a sofa), due to an itinerary that interested me -- Barcelona+Canary Islands.

I can't deny that the lack of a couch is annoying in a Princess balcony room. I am tempted to go for a mini-suite to get the couch, but I do like the Caribe-deck larger balcony. (I'm a birder and always bring a scope with me, and my wife loves to get the sun.)

Regarding NCL, we used to rank it third behind Princess and X, but recent Celebrity experiences have pushed X down to third. We have no experience on RCL. Those ships always seemed too big and full of sideshow games and gimmicks for us to further divide our cruise loyalty program earnings. Still, for the right itinerary....