Last Minute Alaska Cruise questions for Next week!

SuzieQ521

Hello:

Just finalizing everything before my husband and I leave for next week's cruise on the Ruby Princess--first time to Alaska for both and his first cruise ever.

1) Any things to pack that we might not think of to bring? Obviously, we are bringing lots of layers, rain gear, binoculars, Bonine/sea bands, etc. Probably coffee travel mugs as I read that disposable items are not allowed on Glacier Bay day.

2) Only formal excursion booked is in Skagway with Dyea Dave--bus up and train back. In Juneau, we definitely want to go to Mendenhall Glacier but I heard that the ship's tour does not spend much time there. Initially looked at the white or blue shuttle but it appears they raised the price to $45 pp just to get up there. Anyone have experience with a taxi to get there? Ketchikan--we figured we'd play it by ear since we do not have much time there; Victoria--we've been there before so maybe just a stroll around Fisherman's wharf as we're only there in the evening. Any other recommendations?

3) Princess Coffee Card--anyone with experience with this...I just purchased the coffee card. I've read differing things--will both my husband and I be able to obtain the unlimited brewed coffee without a punch of the card?

4) Disembarkation--We have a 2 p.m. flight which I think should be ok; any reasonable cost of transportation from Pier 91 to Seatac; I read that a taxi is about $60. Any good shuttle companies?

Thanks all!

How long is your port time in Juneau ? a rental car is the best option as you can visit Mendenhall, the fish hatchery, Douglass Island, and drive to the coast to visit Eagle Beach Shrine of St Therese, Otherwise taxi companies are listed in the Mendenhall web site ....call for a fare estimate. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

Victoria ; if the weather is decent its about a 20-30 minute walk from the pier to the Inner Harbor. The Wharf is about halfway. The Harbor is VERY picturesque .... boats, seaplanes,Empress Hotel, Parliament Bldgs, hanging flower baskets, buskers. Some good pubs as well.

From Seatac to pier 91, use uber/lyfft., or the flat rate cab company is $29 to downtown so probably $35-39 to pier 91, eastsideforhire.com The web site will provide the price by zipcode. 98119 is pier 91.

You're flying in the day of ??? Keep in mind that Seatac airport is a good 30 minutes away from the pier. Hope you don't run into any traffic problems or flight delays ...

Edited by mapleleaves
link

Thank you for the reply.

A car rental may be a good option...is that drive in Juneau pretty windy or a relatively easy one to make? I believe we are there until 10 p.m. so quite a bit of time.

We arrive the day before our cruise...I was referring to disembarkation and the 2 p.m. flight the day we come back. Thanks!

How long is your port time in Juneau ? a rental car is the best option as you can visit Mendenhall, the fish hatchery, Douglass Island, and drive to the coast to visit Eagle Beach Shrine of St Therese, Otherwise taxi companies are listed in the Mendenhall web site ....call for a fare estimate. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

Victoria ; if the weather is decent its about a 20-30 minute walk from the pier to the Inner Harbor. The Wharf is about halfway. The Harbor is VERY picturesque .... boats, seaplanes,Empress Hotel, Parliament Bldgs, hanging flower baskets, buskers. Some good pubs as well.

From Seatac to pier 91, use uber/lyfft., or the flat rate cab company is $29 to downtown so probably $35-39 to pier 91, eastsideforhire.com The web site will provide the price by zipcode. 98119 is pier 91.

You're flying in the day of ??? Keep in mind that Seatac airport is a good 30 minutes away from the pier. Hope you don't run into any traffic problems or flight delays ...

sorry ,,, missed the disembarkation. Seattle Express runs a shuttle from pier to airport. https://seattleexpress.com/

They'll drop you at the south end of the airport terminal. You don't need to join the herd at that Gate though; at Seatac you can use any gate so look for the shortest line.

Driving in Juneau is fine. There's a map in the town visitor guide that provides distances to popular locations. Keep in mind that there's less than 100 miles of road in Juneau so hard to get lost! http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/8d86f7ab#/8d86f7ab/26

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks for the map! It appears Avis is the only car rental company that is at that cruise ship terminal...lowest price for a compact car for our day is about $100.00. Maybe best to share with another couple. :)

sorry ,,, missed the disembarkation. Seattle Express runs a shuttle from pier to airport. https://seattleexpress.com/

They'll drop you at the south end of the airport terminal. You don't need to join the herd at that Gate though. At seatac you can use any gate so look for the shortest line.

Driving in Juneau is fine. There's a map in the town visitor guide that provides distances to popular locations. Keep in mind that there's less than 100 miles of road in Juneau so hard to get lost! http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/8d86f7ab#/8d86f7ab/26

There is also Juneau Car rental. BUT keep in mind where both these rentals are - at the A J dock, where is your ship? and are you able bodied to walk there? and have the time to do so? Otherwise add cab fare.

I would suggest, dismissing the car rental due to cost. It offers you a LOT of options. You will also have a Mendenhall Park admission fee. I wouldn't be so quick to add a couple unknowns just to save a few bucks. Especially is everyone is first timers. I'd instead suggest you do a deeper look at what there is in the area and what you can drive to - YOUR interests. then post these details on your Roll Call. I wouldn't just say I had a rental car.

There is a great shuttle company (Seattle Express) at the walkway (after leaving the terminal building, walk all the way down to the end, past all the busses). They will have shuttles available to purchase on sight...$15/person. DO NOT get them confused with Shuttle Express! We disembarked August 11th and had reservations with Shuttle Express....horrible organization. Seattle Express had shuttles ready to go...we went with them and were at the airport in plenty of time for a 12:30pm flight. We left the ship at 9am.

Thank you! I just actually emailed Seattle Express earlier today...they quoted me $18 pp from Pier 91 to Seatac, with 10% off for AAA.

Is it less expensive to book onsite as opposed to online ahead of time?

There is a great shuttle company (Seattle Express) at the walkway (after leaving the terminal building, walk all the way down to the end, past all the busses). They will have shuttles available to purchase on sight...$15/person. DO NOT get them confused with Shuttle Express! We disembarked August 11th and had reservations with Shuttle Express....horrible organization. Seattle Express had shuttles ready to go...we went with them and were at the airport in plenty of time for a 12:30pm flight. We left the ship at 9am.

I would suggest, dismissing the car rental due to cost. It offers you a LOT of options. You will also have a Mendenhall Park admission fee.

BQ,

Did you mean to say " I would suggest dismissing the car rental due to cost:" It doesn't match up with the rest of your response.

Or did you meant to say I would NOT suggest dismissing the car rental .......

BQ,

Did you mean to say " I would suggest dismissing the car rental due to cost:" It doesn't match up with the rest of your response.

Or did you meant to say I would NOT suggest dismissing the car rental .......

I am very sorry, thank you pointing this out. I missed it- Yes there should be a NOT dismiss statement. Sometimes, money spent pays over multiple times in value. :)

We were on Alaska cruise last week. In Victoria if you walk to fishermans wharf go to the pier and you will see a little yellow water taxi boat. It will take you across to the city for $6 a person one way. If you only want to ride it back after walking lots around the city that's also possible, you aren't required to purchase round trip tix. The embarkation is by where the seaplanes land, down and across from Empress. That's another excursion you might enjoy. Contact Harbour Air 800-665-0212. $119 or $179 for a beautiful air tour of the area. HarbourAir.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums