Fly 2 Fun during hurricane

nealstuber

So with CCL and RCCL coming under fire for not allowing customers to rebook sooner during the events of the past two weeks, I'm wondering if we're not overlooking the value of getting your air through the cruise line.

Three bits of conventional wisdom on this board have been challenged:

1) Book you own air because it's cheaper

2) Fly in the day before (or even two)

3) Get trip insurance

When you book the air through the cruise line, it is more expensive, and their model is to fly you in day of and cover the cost of getting you to the next port if you miss.

It seems a tad unfair to hold the lines responsible for providing more notice so that private arrangements can be changed when those caught in that circumstance passed on the option to book air through the cruise line, where it would all be taken care of.

We readily accept the value of ship sponsored shore excursions: pay a little more so you won't be left behind or the line will fly you to the next stop.

So I'm wondering, if you consider the cost of a hotel, transfers, and cancel for any reason insurance (instead of a basic plan with evac coverage) if booking air from the cruise line might be a better value than we realize.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it is hard to really assess the costs and benefits of cruise line-provided air arrangements, because for so many of the aspects, especially the detriments, we would have to assign dollar amounts to intangible aspects, such as control and convenience.

In this instance, it really doesn't matter. If you booked your own flights or went with Carnival, flew in early or wait until the day of the cruise, these cruises and flights are being canceled and they are telling you to leave Florida. For the past two days now they have said that you can't get flights out of Florida because they are already booked solid. I see the future of cruising out of Fl and into the Caribbean shaky for the next few weeks if not months.

I see the future of cruising out of Fl and into the Caribbean shaky for the next few weeks if not months.
I think it is too soon to tell. There are folks who said the same sort of thing about cruising out of Galveston right before Harvey hit, but Carnival Freedom and Carnival Valor both docked in Galveston this morning. They are going embark passengers who will have an excellent vacation over the next few days or over the next week. It all depends on where Irma hits and how.

And unless MIA or MCO take a direct hit, the airlines will be back up and running within a day or two. Unlike many of the airports in the Caribbean, many of Florida's airports were built to the very highest standards with regard to resistance to hurricanes. Even if one or the other takes a direct hit, I bet the airline industry will adapt very quickly and make use of available capacity elsewhere in the state. It'll be something we need to adapt to for a while but we humans are eminently adaptable.

Not to me because unless there were circumstances beyond my control, I will always fly in at least the day before my cruise. I don't like other people dictating when and where I leave and be bound to their sometimes less than ideal decisions. I like to maintain control of my vacation and don't like middlemen. If I want to change something, then I should be able to call direct and get it taken care of, not wait for a third party to get back to me.

I don't pay for hotels due to points, transfers are minimal (Uber), and CFAR is not that much. Probably still less than if I booked through the cruise line. Actually it is very rare that I even pay for airfare due to points/Cap One purchase eraser as well. But even so, I have heard horror stories of people who have booked through the cruise line and had nothing but issues when their flights were rearranged often without notification, not being able to change seats, families split up, just about anything and everything that could go wrong and now are at the mercy of the cruise line. Not to mention the added stress. Why would I pay more to receive an inferior product? I wouldn't.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I have purchased air from Carnival for my last cruise and have it for my upcoming cruise in January.. I choice the flights and days to fly .. I always fly in the day before..

It was not more expensive! It was the same exact price as offered thru Expedia..

Things have changed..

I have purchased air from Carnival for my last cruise and have it for my upcoming cruise in January.. I choice the flights and days to fly .. I always fly in the day before..

It was not more expensive! It was the same exact price as offered thru Expedia..

Things have changed..

Aren't they considered a different class of ticket with many more restrictions? I never book through a 3rd party site - always direct with the airline.

I understand the point you are making, but I disagree.

First, the hurricane situation is so specific and I refuse to travel to the Caribbean during hurricane season - so a non issue for me. Just to evaluate this premise during regular traveling.

The only thing I can see that you gain by doing fly 2 fun is not paying for a hotel the night before. If you get trip insurance you are going to get it whether or not you use fly 2 fun. It covers way more situations than simply a delayed flight. And since you have it; if you want to fly in the day if you can since that will get you to the next port if a flight delay prevents embarkation.

We prefer to fly in the day before either way simply to have a relaxed schedule on vacation. I wouldn't enjoy having a cruise line choose my flight times, have me set to land at noon the day of, have a 2 hour delay, and be stressed and rushed all day trying to get to the ship.

We're cruising out of Tampa on Tuesday and needed to change our arriving flight twice, add, then cancel a car rental, and cancel a non-refundable hotel room because of Irma. No extra charges were incurred for any of this, even the "non-refundable" hotel was refunded...

We do have trip insurance, but realistically I don't think we'll have any use for it.

In the past we have used the carnival air fare and found the fare to be competitive with great connections and times. Flew in the day before with this option.

Edited by LostPuppy

Things have changed..

I also booked with carnival during my last cruise in January. I found the flight I wanted in advance called my PVP and told him and the price was within $5 for the 2 tickets as they would have been booked straight through the airline. I was also able to pick my seats in advance by logging into my account through the airline and managing my flight.

I plan to do the same for my next cruise as well.

Where in the fine print does it say anything about guaranteeing to get you to the next port if you purchase air thru the cruise line?

All it really says is that they will do their best to assist you.

Just found this on the Carnival website:

B0328FE2A091458EA60CCCEEAC589B15.ashx Fly2Fun PROTECTION

When you book Fly2Fun you automatically receive our complimentary flight protection. This offers protection in the event you experience travel disruptions resulting from weather conditions or other flight delays that cause you to miss your ship on the day of embarkation. We will make the necessary flight, hotel and/or ground transportation arrangements to get you to the next port of call on time at no expense to you. In other words, we take the worry out of air travel so that you can enjoy your vacation as soon as you leave your home. This benefit applies to both our Flexible Fare or Restricted Fare products.

We're cruising out of Tampa on Tuesday and needed to change our arriving flight twice, add, then cancel a car rental, and cancel a non-refundable hotel room because of Irma. No extra charges were incurred for any of this, even the "non-refundable" hotel was refunded...

We do have trip insurance, but realistically I don't think we'll have any use for it.

In the past we have used the carnival air fare and found the fare to be competitive with great connections and times. Flew in the day before with this option.

You won't be sailing on the 11th - it's now the 12th.

HURRICANE IRMA UPDATE

WEATHER UPDATE 9/09/2017 – 10:00 AM (EDT)

Guests on one of the following sailings who are unable to travel will receive future cruise credits:

Carnival Paradise – September 7

Carnival Sensation – September 7

Carnival Fascination – September 10

Carnival Paradise – September 11

Due to heavy call volume, you do not have to call Carnival to receive your future cruise credit as this will be automatically processed within 30 days.

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma and given the projected path of the storm, the following cruises have been cancelled:

Carnival Victory – September 8

Carnival Splendor– September 9

Carnival Ecstasy – September 9

Carnival Liberty– September 10

A full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks.

IMPORTANT NOTE: We remain in constant contact with port officials regarding port closures. In preparation for the storm, Port Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral and the Port of Tampa are now closed. Our intentions are to operate the following cruises from South and Central Florida once the port reopens. Guests who decide to cancel because their cruise duration has changed, will automatically receive a future cruise credit in the amount paid. This will be automatically processed and you do not need to call us if you decide to not travel.

PLEASE DO NOT PROCEED TO THE PIER UNTIL WE HAVE CONFIRMED OUR ARRIVAL AND CHECK IN TIMES ON OUR WEB SITE.

Carnival Conquest – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Port Everglades on September 12 on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

Carnival Glory – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

Carnival Magic – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Port Canaveral on September 13 on a 3 day cruise to Nassau.

Carnival Vista – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 5 day two port Western Caribbean cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Victory – September 11

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 for a 3 day cruise to Nassau.

Carnival Sensation – September 11

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 13 for a 3 day cruise to Nassau.

Carnival Paradise – September 11

Now scheduled to depart Tampa on Tuesday, September 12 for a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

THE FOLLOWING SAILINGS WILL DEPART AS SCHEDULED. GUESTS ARE ASKED TO ARRIVE AT THE CRUISE TERMINAL ACCORDING TO THEIR PRE-SELECTED ARRIVAL APPOINTMENTS. ALL GUESTS MUST BE ON BOARD ONE HOUR PRIOR TO THE SHIP’S SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME.

Carnival Freedom– September 9

Will depart Galveston on September 9 on a three port Western Caribbean cruise to Mahogany Bay, Belize and Cozumel.

Carnival Dream – September 10

Will depart New Orleans on September 10 to operate a three port Western Caribbean cruise to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Pride – September 10

Will depart Baltimore on September 10 on a cruise to Canada and visit Halifax and St. John. Given the significant itinerary deviation, guests may elect to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. Guests wishing to sail will receive a 25% future cruise credit based on the fare paid for this cruise.

Carnival Fascination – September 10

Will depart San Juan on September 10 on a cruise to Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua and St. Kitts.

Guests who sail on shortened cruises will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare. Additionally, anyone who pre-purchased our beverage packages will also receive a pro-rated adjustment. These refunds will be to the original form of payment within three weeks. Pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for cancelled ports, as well as any taxes, fees and port expenses will be refunded to your onboard Sail & Sign account. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma’s forecasted track and provide further updates as needed. Please sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Conquest – CCL2

Carnival Glory – CCL3

Carnival Magic – CCL4

Carnival Vista – CCL6

Carnival Victory 9/11 – CCL8

Carnival Sensation 9/11 – CCL10

Carnival Freedom – CCL12

Carnival Dream – CCL13

Carnival Pride – CCL14

Carnival Fascination – CCL15

Carnival Paradise 9/11 – CCL16

We sincerely apologize for the disruption Hurricane Irma has caused and we look forward to welcoming our guests on board. We also want to apologize if you are experiencing long hold times at our contact center as many of our employees are preparing for Irma’s arrival.

Please join us in keeping our Caribbean friends, Carnival employees and those communities in Hurricane Irma’s path, in our thoughts and prayers.

You won't be sailing on the 11th - it's now the 12th.

Where did I say I was cruising on the 11th?

Edited by LostPuppy

Where did I say I was cruising on the 11th?

It wasn't in this thread, but another one:

"Taking the Paradise out of Tampa on 9/11. Delta canceled our Sunday noon flight into

TPA. We changed it to JAX arriving at 11:20, then renting a car to drove to TPA (always like getting to port a day early).

I'm surprised how negative people are about how CCL is handling things. I see no problem with a Monday departure from TPA. Looking forward to our B2B2B on the Paradise!"

Did you get your flight changed again?

Just found this on the Carnival website:

B0328FE2A091458EA60CCCEEAC589B15.ashx Fly2Fun PROTECTION

When you book Fly2Fun you automatically receive our complimentary flight protection. This offers protection in the event you experience travel disruptions resulting from weather conditions or other flight delays that cause you to miss your ship on the day of embarkation. We will make the necessary flight, hotel and/or ground transportation arrangements to get you to the next port of call on time at no expense to you. In other words, we take the worry out of air travel so that you can enjoy your vacation as soon as you leave your home. This benefit applies to both our Flexible Fare or Restricted Fare products.

That's the Sales brochure

here are the terms and conditions spelled out in the contract

https://www.carnival.com/popups/bookingengine/Reservation-terms-and-Conditions.aspx

Here's the specific area I'm using from that link.

32. Liability and Relationship with Airlines: If Carnival is unable to arrange for air transportation for any cause beyond Carnival’s control, such as airline capacity controls, air transportation arranged is no longer available, or otherwise fails to materialize, Carnival’s sole liability will be limited to refunding the air add-on paid or cruise only credit. Carnival acts as an independent travel agent, and it is not affiliated with the airline carriers. Carnival books air as a convenience for the Guests. Carnival assumes no liability for any of the airlines’ acts or omissions, including, without limitation, those involving cancellation of flights, schedule changes, re-routings, damage to or delay or loss of baggage, flight delays, equipment failures, accidents, pilot or other staff shortages, overbooking or clerical/system errors. Your rights against the airlines are controlled and subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the airline’s ticket and tariffs, and any and all applicable laws and regulations.

It wasn't in this thread, but another one:

"Taking the Paradise out of Tampa on 9/11. Delta canceled our Sunday noon flight into

TPA. We changed it to JAX arriving at 11:20, then renting a car to drove to TPA (always like getting to port a day early).

I'm surprised how negative people are about how CCL is handling things. I see no problem with a Monday departure from TPA. Looking forward to our B2B2B on the Paradise!"

Did you get your flight changed again?

What are you, some kind of stalker?

Why are my travel plans of interest to you? Are you on this cruise?

No I'm not. I was just curious because you had said that you were heading into the hurricane when the State was being evacuated and everyone else was fleeing.

Don't get all paranoid about it. Certain things I read on here stick in my mind like when people are hell bent their cruise is going to leave on time with a major hurricane barreling down on the port and even people that live there are warning others to stay away. It has nothing to do with stalking, but rather one of those moments where you can't imagine yourself even considering doing what you just read someone else is attempting by jumping through hoops.

Hope you enjoy your cruises and are able to leave as planned on Tuesday even if it is a day later than originally scheduled.

That's the Sales brochure

here are the terms and conditions spelled out in the contract

https://www.carnival.com/popups/bookingengine/Reservation-terms-and-Conditions.aspx

Here's the specific area I'm using from that link.

32. Liability and Relationship with Airlines: If Carnival is unable to arrange for air transportation for any cause beyond Carnival’s control, such as airline capacity controls, air transportation arranged is no longer available, or otherwise fails to materialize, Carnival’s sole liability will be limited to refunding the air add-on paid or cruise only credit. Carnival acts as an independent travel agent, and it is not affiliated with the airline carriers. Carnival books air as a convenience for the Guests. Carnival assumes no liability for any of the airlines’ acts or omissions, including, without limitation, those involving cancellation of flights, schedule changes, re-routings, damage to or delay or loss of baggage, flight delays, equipment failures, accidents, pilot or other staff shortages, overbooking or clerical/system errors. Your rights against the airlines are controlled and subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the airline’s ticket and tariffs, and any and all applicable laws and regulations.

I had only seen the sales version you quoted and am not saying they will get you to the ship no matter what.

What I am saying is if you had booked air through the cruise line , the kunundrum many faced, especially with Harvey on RCCL, was if they should get on a plane one or two days in advance without any assurance that their fare would be refunded if the ship showed up but they did not. And there has been a lot of Static about Carnival "dumping" passengers early without hotels, or means to get home before their planned debark date. Seems like both the sales and fine print version of Fly to Fun would have taken some of the angst out of these situations.

Even with people in these tough circumstances, many have commented replied "that's why you should have trip insurance" that now has evolved to cancel for any reason insurance which is costly. I've been following most of the hurricane related threads for the past two weeks and I have not seen "that's why you should book air from the cruise line" as a response.

For those that don't cruise during hurricane season, does not mean you're not flying during blizzard or tornado season either at your home or connecting airport.

And for those who said "I want control of my vacation" fine, just don't expect the cruise line to take responsibility when the ship hits the fan.

And for those who said transfers are not that expensive, you probably have not sailed out of Galveston and you definitely have not taken Uber from Galveston as it not allowed (yet).

But my post was really more rooted in sympathy for the cruise lines. They offer a product that basically says they will handle your vacation (and any changes that might be required) roundtrip from/to your airport if origin, in recent years, the have reduced the premium they charge for this service, but most (at least most on these boards)choose to do their own thing - and there's nothing wrong with that. But it might be unfair for cruisers to expect the cruise lines to have their back from the time and location they get on a plane when they declined to pay for a service that does exactly that.

The events of these past couple of weeks, combined with the decrease in prices and Fly to fun and similar programs, should challenge the conventional wisdom (the three things in my original post) those of us who consider ourselves "in the know" routinely espouse.

I had only seen the sales version you quoted and am not saying they will get you to the ship no matter what.

What I am saying is if you had booked air through the cruise line , the kunundrum many faced, especially with Harvey on RCCL, was if they should get on a plane one or two days in advance without any assurance that their fare would be refunded if the ship showed up but they did not. And there has been a lot of Static about Carnival "dumping" passengers early without hotels, or means to get home before their planned debark date. Seems like both the sales and fine print version of Fly to Fun would have taken some of the angst out of these situations.

Even with people in these tough circumstances, many have commented replied "that's why you should have trip insurance" that now has evolved to cancel for any reason insurance which is costly. I've been following most of the hurricane related threads for the past two weeks and I have not seen "that's why you should book air from the cruise line" as a response.

For those that don't cruise during hurricane season, does not mean you're not flying during blizzard or tornado season either at your home or connecting airport.

And for those who said "I want control of my vacation" fine, just don't expect the cruise line to take responsibility when the ship hits the fan.

And for those who said transfers are not that expensive, you probably have not sailed out of Galveston and you definitely have not taken Uber from Galveston as it not allowed (yet).

But my post was really more rooted in sympathy for the cruise lines. They offer a product that basically says they will handle your vacation (and any changes that might be required) roundtrip from/to your airport if origin, in recent years, the have reduced the premium they charge for this service, but most (at least most on these boards)choose to do their own thing - and there's nothing wrong with that. But it might be unfair for cruisers to expect the cruise lines to have their back from the time and location they get on a plane when they declined to pay for a service that does exactly that.

The events of these past couple of weeks, combined with the decrease in prices and Fly to fun and similar programs, should challenge the conventional wisdom (the three things in my original post) those of us who consider ourselves "in the know" routinely espouse.

I get what you're saying, but I'm still not convinced about letting Carnival do my flights and I'm OK with that. Many times I take one one airline down and another back, or I may go into one airport and leave from another. I'm not sure that would be an option. Plus like I said, I use miles for a lot of my travel. I can see where some people may be comfortable with it since prices seem to have come down and that's good. I just don't see it as beneficial to me. I'm not real sure how it would benefit customers in the current situation either since the airlines were waiving change fees on their own and many times you would be able to make changes to flights directly on the airline's website. Are you still able to do that if you book through Carnival? I really don't know. I would think it would be quicker to go right to the source vs a third party, but maybe that's just me set in my ways.

If Carnival "dumped" passengers off and there were no flights to leave and no hotels for them to go to, I'm not sure what else they could do. They would still be at the mercy of the airlines and hotels, no? I don't understand where booking air thought Carnival could get them home or a place to stay any faster. Maybe I'm not seeing it.

CFAR insurance isn't expensive since it's usually an add on to an insurance policy, Just be sure to get your coverage within the allotted timeframe. Some are based upon initial trip deposit and others on final payment date. I have found that it's similar to the pre existing condition coverage waiver cutoff.

I don't expect Carnival to take responsibility for anything except to keep people safe and to provide timely updates to potential cruisers in regards to the product they paid for.

And you're right - I haven't cruised from Galveston and don't have any plans to unless one of my cruises scheduled to go out of somehwere else is rerouted there. It's not convenient for me and quite frankly, the same Western itinerary can get old kind of fast. WIth the exception of New Orleans which was our first cruise, I stay on the East Coast. It works better for me. Uber is super cheap so that doesn't even register a blip on my radar of cruise cost considerations.

You could be right in your asessment, I really don't know. What I do know is that I have seen plenty of threads both on here and other boards of people who have been extremely dissatisfied with air services provided through the cruise lines. When there is an issue, it seems to take lots of time and effort to get straight answers or problems corrected. At least that's what I recall reading. If someone likes this service, then by all means use it and I hope it makes things easier for them. I still don't think it's for me, though.

That is completely fair. It's a service that's offered and if you don't take advantage of it, don't expect anything from the cruise line other than picking you up when they are supposed to or canceling in a timely manner when it's inevitable.

I still prefer to make my own arrangements. The day it blows up in my face it'll accept that. I've heard too many horror stories of flights changed by airline and unable to fix it due to the cruise line booking or miscommunicated information about transfers.

BUT I also don't do cruise line shore excursions under the sand thought process. I've had some amazing experiences in ports over the years, experiences that I know wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as a cruise like excursion. Not willing to give that up over the fear of missing the ship.

Edited by sanger727

I get what you're saying, but I'm still not convinced about letting Carnival do my flights and I'm OK with that. Many times I take one one airline down and another back, or I may go into one airport and leave from another. I'm not sure that would be an option. Plus like I said, I use miles for a lot of my travel. I can see where some people may be comfortable with it since prices seem to have come down and that's good. I just don't see it as beneficial to me. I'm not real sure how it would benefit customers in the current situation either since the airlines were waiving change fees on their own and many times you would be able to make changes to flights directly on the airline's website. Are you still able to do that if you book through Carnival? I really don't know. I would think it would be quicker to go right to the source vs a third party, but maybe that's just me set in my ways.

If Carnival "dumped" passengers off and there were no flights to leave and no hotels for them to go to, I'm not sure what else they could do. They would still be at the mercy of the airlines and hotels, no? I don't understand where booking air thought Carnival could get them home or a place to stay any faster. Maybe I'm not seeing it.

CFAR insurance isn't expensive since it's usually an add on to an insurance policy, Just be sure to get your coverage within the allotted timeframe. Some are based upon initial trip deposit and others on final payment date. I have found that it's similar to the pre existing condition coverage waiver cutoff.

I don't expect Carnival to take responsibility for anything except to keep people safe and to provide timely updates to potential cruisers in regards to the product they paid for.

And you're right - I haven't cruised from Galveston and don't have any plans to unless one of my cruises scheduled to go out of somehwere else is rerouted there. It's not convenient for me and quite frankly, the same Western itinerary can get old kind of fast. WIth the exception of New Orleans which was our first cruise, I stay on the East Coast. It works better for me. Uber is super cheap so that doesn't even register a blip on my radar of cruise cost considerations.

You could be right in your asessment, I really don't know. What I do know is that I have seen plenty of threads both on here and other boards of people who have been extremely dissatisfied with air services provided through the cruise lines. When there is an issue, it seems to take lots of time and effort to get straight answers or problems corrected. At least that's what I recall reading. If someone likes this service, then by all means use it and I hope it makes things easier for them. I still don't think it's for me, though.

The only thing I would add is that we've had three departures delayed because they were waiting for a flight with several would be passengers on it.

I'm certainly not saying ship's air is for everybody. Just those who don't want to take responsibility for having to get on (or off) a ship that is not where it's supposed to be when it's supposed to be.

Oh yeah, one more thing, how many posts have you seen where OP is asking "is this inbound or outbound flight cutting it too close?" Have you ever seen anyone say "if you have to leave or depart day of, look at the ship's air before you book?" Usually the recommended action is one or more of the 3 things in my original post.

And hey, I'm one of those who has always said those things, even though I haven't even browsed ship's air since our first cruise in 1994. Like you, we have lots of air and hotel perks and we even booked Alligent (which has no partnership agreements with other airlines) on our own. Things have always worked out for us, but the past couple of weeks have given me pause. But we usually don't fly with Galveston in driving distance. If I'm gonna burn my miles to fly someplace, might as well visit that place (or someplace else for the same miles).